Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [bhad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhad wrote:
Love this program, did my 20 minute test this morning. Can anyone offer some insight into the results? I seeded it with 330 ftp and got a recommendation after the test for a setting of 344. This is with my new quarq, but similar results to the powertap I was using, so I am not really questioning accuracy. It also recommended I use 153 for Lthr, but this seems low, considering this is about where I avg for a full Ironman, and my running lactate threshold is ~172 (based on an hour 10 mile run). I hit 170 HR at the end of the 20 minute test, but it really hurt, in terms of heat (my fan sucks) and legs.

I'm a pretty big sandbagger on the indoor trainer, and on hard efforts in general, I really prefer to do lots of volume in Z2+/Z3, relatively new to this world of high intensity pain. Trying to get an idea of whether I should be trying for a higher FTP number based on the HR feedback, or if this is about right.

Wow, those are some good numbers. Can you link us to your test?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.trainerroad.com/career/brianhadley

It was recommended to me, based on a review of my last years power files to do more toward building my 20-30 min power, vs what I usually focus on (endurance) during this part of training, so this software is perfect. Really just wondering what target HR should be; based on this giving me an Lthr of 152 I would assume it is using my peak of 171 as my max (which it isn't but riding indoors at 180+ for the last 5-7 minutes doesnt sound appealing to me).

In other words, if I suck it up and suffer, will my number be higher, or is that a reasonable Lthr? I actually went and saw that most people are doing their tests around 170 HR, so maybe I am misunderstanding what the software means when it prescribes that number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me you are like 220 lbs ...

As for your heart rate - who cares if you are training with power?

Quote | Reply
bhad wrote:
http://www.trainerroad.com/career/brianhadley quote]

Couldn't make it the full hour, huh? ;)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Brad is 172.5 lbs and doing 4.4 w/kg. Very nice !!!
You have potential man!

CyclingSessions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only suggestion regarding the test would be to go a little harder during warmup; ramp your cadence up to around 140 for the three 1min spins, then try to hold >450W for that 5min blow out interval. Self-assess during your first real threshold interval sets and determine how it feels now - it's probably a decent number. Nice job - that's super solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

I talked my buddy into getting setup on trainer road. Him and his brother both ride...so they purchased an lcd and computer and set everything up on a KK trainer their garage. The question is if they both want to keep their own results separate from each other, how would they set that up on one computer? They don't mind each paying 10 bucks a month. Please advise when you have a minute.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really good pacing on your test. I think your FTP is right on.

Don't worry about your LTHR. You're just a diesel engine. Low stroke count but high volume pump. I'm a butterfly, my LTHR is like 190. Lots of strokes with just a little blood.

I'd rather be like you! (and I'd rather have your FTP)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
Nate,

I talked my buddy into getting setup on trainer road. Him and his brother both ride...so they purchased an lcd and computer and set everything up on a KK trainer their garage. The question is if they both want to keep their own results separate from each other, how would they set that up on one computer? They don't mind each paying 10 bucks a month. Please advise when you have a minute.

Thanks

Yah, they just both need an account. They can log in and out with their accounts on the same computer and everything will be separate.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Congrats to you and your team on building such a great application!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pebtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It's just Reid, chad and I. Reid and I do all the coding and chad does the workouts and plans.

I'll give them a high five next time I see them. :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just downloaded the program this morning and i am completly blown away by it. I'm seriously impressed with it. I did a 8min test and loved it. But for some reason, my ANT+ stick dropped signal before i started the test. May have been user error. So i didnt have any data other than what my wired Powertap recorded. Which was useful. Now i really want to upgrade to and ANT+ hub.

But seriously, GREAT product. You can be sure to keep my $10 every month
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
I just downloaded the program this morning and i am completly blown away by it. I'm seriously impressed with it. I did a 8min test and loved it. But for some reason, my ANT+ stick dropped signal before i started the test. May have been user error. So i didnt have any data other than what my wired Powertap recorded. Which was useful. Now i really want to upgrade to and ANT+ hub.

But seriously, GREAT product. You can be sure to keep my $10 every month

Oh no, that sucks. Glad you like it, but that sucks that it dropped.

Check out this link:
http://support.trainerroad.com/...-ant-signal-possible

Could be interference or battery life.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I should've actually tried the beta when I had the chance. I use a Cycleops 300 Pro Indoor Cycle. I finally got around to setting up TrainerRoad yesterday only to realize that while the Cycleops 300 Pro is ANT+, it's only ANT+ to the Joule and does not communicate with other ANT+ devices (like my Garmin ANT stick).

Nate, any suggestions that you're aware of or did I just give you $10 for nothing. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I guess I should've actually tried the beta when I had the chance. I use a Cycleops 300 Pro Indoor Cycle. I finally got around to setting up TrainerRoad yesterday only to realize that while the Cycleops 300 Pro is ANT+, it's only ANT+ to the Joule and does not communicate with other ANT+ devices (like my Garmin ANT stick).

Nate, any suggestions that you're aware of or did I just give you $10 for nothing. :-)

You should get a refund from us. Go here: https://www.trainerroad.com/...ation/cancel-account

There's three choices; Suspend, Delete and Refund. Make sure you click refund. You'll get your $10 back :).

So we THINK we can handle the 300, but we aren't sure. We think it's like the power beam pro, which we are working on supporting now. But, we don't have access to a 300 to test.

Once we get power beam pro support out, let's get you a test version that you can try out the 300.

If that doesn't work, we'll contact Cycleops directly and see if they can ship us a 300 to play with.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, do you think that applies for the 400 Pro, too? I've got one of those at a vacation house, and was annoyed when I found out I couldn't use it with other ANT+ solutions. If so, keep me in the loop on that test version as well. Note that the 400 Pro supports *setting* the power level as well as reading it. Obviously it would be cool if the software supported that part, but in reality just being able to listen is fine. I don't mind controlling the power with the Joule if I gotta.

--Donnie
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [djb_rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djb_rh wrote:
Nate, do you think that applies for the 400 Pro, too? I've got one of those at a vacation house, and was annoyed when I found out I couldn't use it with other ANT+ solutions. If so, keep me in the loop on that test version as well. Note that the 400 Pro supports *setting* the power level as well as reading it. Obviously it would be cool if the software supported that part, but in reality just being able to listen is fine. I don't mind controlling the power with the Joule if I gotta.

--Donnie

Yes, we think the 400 and the 300 have the same private ANT implementation. We hope that the implementation is the same as the Power Beam Pro.

I'd be surprised if they did the 400 and the power beam pro differently.

How do you like the 400 btw?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

You should get a refund from us. Go here: https://www.trainerroad.com/...ation/cancel-account

There's three choices; Suspend, Delete and Refund. Make sure you click refund. You'll get your $10 back :).

So we THINK we can handle the 300, but we aren't sure. We think it's like the power beam pro, which we are working on supporting now. But, we don't have access to a 300 to test.

Once we get power beam pro support out, let's get you a test version that you can try out the 300.

If that doesn't work, we'll contact Cycleops directly and see if they can ship us a 300 to play with.

Thanks. I'll be your guinea pig in testing the 300. Let me know.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
How do you like the 400 btw?

I got a good deal on it used and took it to that house over the holidays. Used it twice so far. Seems good for a spin bike, and the big advantage is obviously that I can still train with power with it. I'm not terribly happy with trying to get data out of it...the Joule and their PowerAgent software just aren't very robust. Especially the software...it SHOULD be relatively easy to export the data, but I have seen a lot of bugs in that process, including not being able to get the power file out at all. But if I could skip needing that stuff at all *and* upgrade to being able to use TR features...

--Donnie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another convert, did my 20min test today.

Ant stick in my Macbook Pro, connected to the 55in LG. HR strap and Quarq connected immediately and went to town. Nate, seriously awesome program and absolutely amazing deal for $10 a month. Now to work on raising my FTP!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad,
I have just finished the Base Plans (progressed through early, then advanced) and was about to start the Early Build. However I noticed that a new plan, the 20 minute power accelerator plan by E3 Solutions has been created. For someone who is looking to improve sustained power, which would you advise as being a better plan to follow next, the early build, or the 20 minute power accelerator? My goal race is a Half-Ironman at the end of June.

Thanks for any advice and I hope I'm not out of line by asking for unpaid coaching!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by chadtimmerman [ In reply to ]
Re: Trainer road.com [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomic916 wrote:
Chad,
I have just finished the Base Plans (progressed through early, then advanced) and was about to start the Early Build. However I noticed that a new plan, the 20 minute power accelerator plan by E3 Solutions has been created. For someone who is looking to improve sustained power, which would you advise as being a better plan to follow next, the early build, or the 20 minute power accelerator? My goal race is a Half-Ironman at the end of June.

Thanks for any advice and I hope I'm not out of line by asking for unpaid coaching!

Based on a pretty quick look at the E3 plan, I think either would be a safe bet. From what I can tell, they're similar to the extent that we're both aiming to raise FT by "pulling from the top", a description (and training approach) I like very much. Having had a number of riders work their ways through my Early Build plan, I'd selfishly like to get some feedback on how the plans compare in terms of FT improvement which means I'm leaning toward the E3 plan, but again, I'd bet either would do the trick and compare rather closely. It looks as though you have enough time to do both - each kicking off with an FT assessment in order to keep the intensity dialed in, of course - so take a look at your training schedule and see how that might fit in with your goal half-ironman.

And it's not exactly free coaching when I mix my own interests with yours. ;)

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate and Reid,
Just a heads up. When you guys release local multi-player support, I have about 10-15 guys that will be signing up just so that they can participate in our group training sessions.
I demoed TR to my buddy who owns the LBS I frequent and he was amazed. I sold him on the idea of bringing it into his shop and hosting multiplayer sessions when it becomes available. ;) No pressure.

You guys need a salesperson? Your product is SO easy to sell. haha

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate;

This may be operator error, but am I doing this the easiest way possible?

I am working on the "Early Build" plan. In order to select my next ride, I call up the TR website, call up "Plans" and check to see what the next ride in that plan is. Then I have to go to the app and search on that ride. Once it comes up, I click on it and away I go.

Is there a way to call up the plan, click on the next ride that I'm scheduled to do and have it come up "ready to ride"? It seems odd that I have to go from the plan on the website over to the app to start my ride.

By the way, I'm 3 quarters thru the Early Build plan and it's starting to get a little more serious. I'm alternating the ride days with my swimming and running. I already feel like I'm more prepared for this season than I was in March/April of last year. Great job guys.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next