Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Thanks for taking this over.

A question about juggling workouts on the half distance mid-volume base plan. My pool is only open M-F so could I shift the "Sunday" swim to a weekday (I was thinking the "Wednesday") or would this not be a good idea?

Thanks!

Coach Chad has arranged the Training Plan workouts in a specific order, but that's not to say our Plans aren't flexible. :) If it's just a matter of switching the days you do the "assigned" rides, you'll still reap the full benefits of the plan. As always, listen to your body and keep your recovery and fatigue level under wraps and you'll be good to go!

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
chrisb7 wrote:
Workout creator means amending every workout before doing it (not going to happen). Having the ability to create a standard warm up/cool down and queue them up before / after the main workout session is surely more flexible?

We're still throwing ideas around on it so nothing is set in stone quite yet. I'll share your guys' suggestions with the team. In the meantime, using the custom workout creator to extend the durations of warm up/cool downs is your option.
I am another person who thinks it would be nice to be able to extend the cd quite easily and still count the TSS etc

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Ever since the TR update this week, the HR is freezing. I have been using my Garmin 935 on ANT+ broadcast for the past 6 weeks. It was working fine until this week, when I did the TR software update. After finding the HR monitor, then the HR freezes and does not change. No issues with ANT+ power detection from my Cycleops Hammer. Have there been any reported issues?

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6978593-mount-field
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Ever since the TR update this week, the HR is freezing. I have been using my Garmin 935 on ANT+ broadcast for the past 6 weeks. It was working fine until this week, when I did the TR software update. After finding the HR monitor, then the HR freezes and does not change. No issues with ANT+ power detection from my Cycleops Hammer. Have there been any reported issues?

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6978593-mount-field

Hey there!

I actually have the 935 watch myself and had been seeing this problem as well. It doesn't seem to be an app issue since adjusting the settings of the watch tends to get things up and running again. To fix it, I simply go to the wrist heart rate settings (Settings/ Sensors/ Wrist Heart Rate) and then leave it in Broadcast Heart Rate mode during the workout. This ensures that the watch is constantly broadcasting throughout the ride. You can also enable "Broadcast During Activity", and then if you have an activity running on the watch during the workout it will successfully broadcast. If you have already been doing these things, go ahead and try disabling them, restarting the watch and then re-enabling them to see if that gets things working like it should :)

If you still have difficulties, go ahead and reach out to us at support@trainerroad.com and we'll have a Support Agent take a closer look at the situation.

Cheers,
Bryce Lewis

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably been asked before but hope you can help. I’m finishing second week of half distance ironman mid-level base training and I will be 29 weeks out from race tomorrow. Following the typical 8 weeks base build and specialty would have me peaking early (in 22 weeks). What best way to utilize thes extra 7 weeks? Addition base phase. Additional build phase? Neither (stop training until i’m 24 weeks out ;-) ). Thanks for your time.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ShakesAxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. Love TR and appreciate that you guys take the time to get on here and respond to all questions and suggestions. Wondering if I could bother you for some direction/recommendations if you get a sec?

My deal: Had a huge (for me) year of racing in 2016. Did 2 halfs, 2 fulls and a ton of sprints, road and trail races. With 2 little ones, I felt guilty I had to lean on my wife so much to run things for the better part of a year and have done next to nothing in 2017 and only focused on family. We decided half-ironmans are very manageable (and fun family trips) so I'm signed up for the Florida 70.3 in April and Chattanooga 70.3 in May in 2018.

So as of this Friday (12/8), I'm 120 days out from my 1st race. I plan on doing a majority of my training indoors so what plan would you recommend I start with to prep for my upcoming races?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ShakesAxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShakesAxe wrote:
Probably been asked before but hope you can help. I’m finishing second week of half distance ironman mid-level base training and I will be 29 weeks out from race tomorrow. Following the typical 8 weeks base build and specialty would have me peaking early (in 22 weeks). What best way to utilize thes extra 7 weeks? Addition base phase. Additional build phase? Neither (stop training until i’m 24 weeks out ;-) ). Thanks for your time.

Hey Shakesaxe!

So since the standard progression takes 24 weeks, and you have 29 weeks, we need to fill up 5 extra weeks. There are a few ways that we can do that.

If you want to use the extra time to focus and develop soley your bike leg, I recommend jumping into Sweet Spot Base 1. Do the first four weeks of SSB, then week 6 before jumping into the Triathon Training Plan. This will give you a bit of extra cycling conditioning before you start dividing your trainig time between three different sports.

If you want to develop all of your sports equally in that time, simply extend the Triathlon Base Phase by 5 weeks. When you finish the progression the first time through, so back and do Week 5,5,6,7,8 of Base for a total extension of 5 weeks :)

I hope that helps clarify your path moving forward, best of luck with your preparation!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [miketri7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miketri7 wrote:
Hi. Love TR and appreciate that you guys take the time to get on here and respond to all questions and suggestions. Wondering if I could bother you for some direction/recommendations if you get a sec?

My deal: Had a huge (for me) year of racing in 2016. Did 2 halfs, 2 fulls and a ton of sprints, road and trail races. With 2 little ones, I felt guilty I had to lean on my wife so much to run things for the better part of a year and have done next to nothing in 2017 and only focused on family. We decided half-ironmans are very manageable (and fun family trips) so I'm signed up for the Florida 70.3 in April and Chattanooga 70.3 in May in 2018.

So as of this Friday (12/8), I'm 120 days out from my 1st race. I plan on doing a majority of my training indoors so what plan would you recommend I start with to prep for my upcoming races?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Mike!

You have just over 17 weeks between now and your first event, and unfortunately that is not enough to realize full peak fitness. However, you can still be very fast on your race day. Here's how you'll do it.

Half Distance Base 8 weeks
Half Distance Build Weeks 1-7
Half Distance Specialty Weeks 7-8

This will give you a total of 17 weeks, and will also give you an appropriate taper before your event :)

I hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Appreciate the feed back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

I've used TR for a few years now with great success. But now it's back to base season.

I have a solid two weeks of zero responsibilities (gotta love that student life sometimes) and then I'll have a super light load next semester—only interning for 25 hours a week and job hunting (no classes!).

With that said, how can I maximize base-building during this period? I imagine that supplementing the half-distance base period with some solid outdoor Z2 time would be beneficial, but will a big dose of volume early hurt me later when I'm not riding nearly as much? Should I try to fill that two-week period with as much Z2 riding as I can safely handle?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I just tried TR with my Vasa Erg on my Android Phone, but the workout doesn't upload to my TR Career or TrainingPeaks. Does the TR App only work with IOS?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Bryce,

I've used TR for a few years now with great success. But now it's back to base season.

I have a solid two weeks of zero responsibilities (gotta love that student life sometimes) and then I'll have a super light load next semester—only interning for 25 hours a week and job hunting (no classes!).

With that said, how can I maximize base-building during this period? I imagine that supplementing the half-distance base period with some solid outdoor Z2 time would be beneficial, but will a big dose of volume early hurt me later when I'm not riding nearly as much? Should I try to fill that two-week period with as much Z2 riding as I can safely handle?

Hey there!

Having a surplus of volume during base is never a bad thing as long as you can properly recover and metabolize the stress. What volume of Traithlon Plan will you be doing? If you are already on the High Volume Plan, it is pretty ill-advised to pile more stress on top since that plan is already so stressful. However, if you are on the mid-volume plan, it wouldn't hurt to squeeze more low intensity riding out on the road to increase your TSS in a relatively low stress fashion.

Overall, more volume in Base will not hurt you moving forward as long as you do not overextend yourself. All in all, yoou should go for it :)

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I just tried TR with my Vasa Erg on my Android Phone, but the workout doesn't upload to my TR Career or TrainingPeaks. Does the TR App only work with IOS?

Hey there!

I'm assuming that you had the TrainerRoad App running and paired to the Vasa ERG when you were completing the workout, is that right? TrainerRoad is fully supported on Android so you should not have any issues with training on that device.

If the workout went fine, and the ride shows in the app but not the web , here is what you need to do:
1. Open the app to where your ride shows up
2. Find the ride and click on it to open up the Workout Summary
3. In the upper right corner, click the ellipses (...)
4. Make sure that you have a strong internet connection, then select "Re-Sync Ride"

If you are still having issues, go ahead and shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com and a Support Sgeant will help you troubleshoot further :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I had a terrible year last year with life changes derailing my racing and training. I have dropped $$ and signed up for races for 2018. I have been running and swimming some but my riding has been basically MIA. That is changing as of last night. I have used TR in the past and want to use it now. My first race is IMTX in April. I will be doing 95% of my training indoors. Now my question...

The TR plans are somewhat confusing. How should I structure my training with the TR plans if my race is in April with virtually no bike fitness?

Thanks,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the plans could be any clearer. You've got 5 months from now until your race. With no fitness you absolutely should do the base phases (1 and 2), followed by the build. You should then pick the first couple of weeks and last couple of weeks in the specialty to get you to your race (so, if at the end of the build, you have 4 weeks to your race, do the first 2 weeks of specialty and final 2 weeks as your taper).

In terms of the actual plans, if you're doing triathlon you cannot go wrong with the sweet spot base. It is just brilliant. Really brilliant. Just pick the volume that matches the amount of time you have to train, taking into account training for running and swimming. I go with mid-volume as I can get about 10 hours total training in per week. If I could only get 8, I'd probably go low-volume. High volume is just brutal. You do sweet spot phase 1 followed by phase 2.

In terms of build, this is where you get the biggest raises in FTP (or usually, anyway). Base lays the foundation, and one hell of a foundation, and you then build on it with specific fitness. Pick the plan that matches your event (sprint, olympic, half, full) and choose the volume as above.

Same with specialty.

That's it. Dead simple. Follow the plans and you will get a lot fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
With no fitness you absolutely should do the base phases (1 and 2), followed by the build. You should then pick the first couple of weeks and last couple of weeks in the specialty to get you to your race (so, if at the end of the build, you have 4 weeks to your race, do the first 2 weeks of specialty and final 2 weeks as your taper).

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I have issues with the man cave pc which I use trainerroad on.

A couple of times the pc has fallen over leaving me with no file save.

So until I can get a new one, I am using the pc and running the same workout on a tablet.

It's a few seconds behind as it isn't ped to start so the last 30 secs average threw me at first.

But when I got to the end (pc was ok this time) and they uploaded, one had a tss of more than 10 than the over.

This isn't a few seconds obviously...

I used Ant on the pc - with Standard garmin dongle and blue tooth on the tablet. Same pedals/ hrm broadcast both

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:
Hi

I have issues with the man cave pc which I use trainerroad on.

A couple of times the pc has fallen over leaving me with no file save.

So until I can get a new one, I am using the pc and running the same workout on a tablet.

It's a few seconds behind as it isn't ped to start so the last 30 secs average threw me at first.

But when I got to the end (pc was ok this time) and they uploaded, one had a tss of more than 10 than the over.

This isn't a few seconds obviously...

I used Ant on the pc - with Standard garmin dongle and blue tooth on the tablet. Same pedals/ hrm broadcast both

Any suggestions?

Hey there!

This is a question that will be better answered by our customer support staff. They will be able to look into the log files of each ride and see what is going on there. To reach out to them, go ahead and send an email to support@trainerroad.com :)

Most likely, one of the devices experienced a droupout that dragged the overall TSS down considerably.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

planning to use TR on my upcoming event full ironman (june) a full 6months. how does this plan looks.

Base - Sweet Spot (6weeks)
Build - Full distance (8weeks)
Specialty - Full distance (8weeks)

by the way, has someone follow the Swim and Run workout on TR? how was it going?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Bryce, thank you for answering so many questions. I definitely get a lot out of reading them, just as I get a lot from your product.

Here's my situation:
I'm just finishing up a long (19 races over 15 consecutive weekends) and highly successful cyclocross season. After my off season break I tentatively have two half IMs on the schedule, they will be 15 and 19 weeks out from the start of my training. My bike fitness and FTP are pretty good right now after cross season, so my focus is going to be on maintaining bike fitness so I can concentrate on swim/run, rather than working specifically to raise my FTP. I'm an experienced triathlete, with many half and full IMs under my belt (I'm a weak runner, hence the run focus).

My tentative plan is this:
-- Sweet Spot Base (6 weeks)
-- First five weeks of either Half Iron Build or Sustained Power Build
-- Final four weeks of Half Iron Specialty
-- Race
-- Recovery week
-- Final three weeks of Half Iron Specialty
-- Race

Would you recommend tweaking this plan in any way? Perhaps more build and less specialty? Perhaps all eight weeks of build and just the final taper week of specialty? I saw above that you recommended that to another poster.

Thanks very much. Also, I'm sending you a private message, please be on the lookout for that.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Hello Bryce, thank you for answering so many questions. I definitely get a lot out of reading them, just as I get a lot from your product.

Here's my situation:
I'm just finishing up a long (19 races over 15 consecutive weekends) and highly successful cyclocross season. After my off season break I tentatively have two half IMs on the schedule, they will be 15 and 19 weeks out from the start of my training. My bike fitness and FTP are pretty good right now after cross season, so my focus is going to be on maintaining bike fitness so I can concentrate on swim/run, rather than working specifically to raise my FTP. I'm an experienced triathlete, with many half and full IMs under my belt (I'm a weak runner, hence the run focus).

My tentative plan is this:
-- Sweet Spot Base (6 weeks)
-- First five weeks of either Half Iron Build or Sustained Power Build
-- Final four weeks of Half Iron Specialty
-- Race
-- Recovery week
-- Final three weeks of Half Iron Specialty
-- Race

Would you recommend tweaking this plan in any way? Perhaps more build and less specialty? Perhaps all eight weeks of build and just the final taper week of specialty? I saw above that you recommended that to another poster.

Thanks very much. Also, I'm sending you a private message, please be on the lookout for that.

-Colin

Hey Colin!

There are very few situations in which we would recommend skipping parts of Build in favor of Specialty, therefore I would recommend doing 8 weeks of Build and then the last week of Specialty for the Taper. Other than that, it looks like a solid plan :)

One thing you may want to consider if you are looking to simply maintain cycling fitness is using a lower volume cycling plan than you usually would while increasing the time spent on your run to help elevate that portion of your race. It takes very little to just maintain your cycling fitness so if your run is your weakest link, it will benefit you to give it that extra focus.

Congrats on a great CX season and good luck with your future Tri endeavors!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using TrainerRoad and have done a few workouts with it now. However, I'm noticing that TrainerRoad reports my average power twice as high as what Strava reports. Is this normal, it's a pretty big difference and I'm not sure which is more accurate.

I'm training with virtual power on a Travel Trac Fluid trainer, using a Garim speed/cadence sensor. I plan to do some training rides on my rollers for comparison to see if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ActiveGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ActiveGirl wrote:
I just started using TrainerRoad and have done a few workouts with it now. However, I'm noticing that TrainerRoad reports my average power twice as high as what Strava reports. Is this normal, it's a pretty big difference and I'm not sure which is more accurate.

I'm training with virtual power on a Travel Trac Fluid trainer, using a Garim speed/cadence sensor. I plan to do some training rides on my rollers for comparison to see if that makes any difference.

Hey there!

Welcome to TrainerRoad :)

Regarding your Strava/ TrainerRoad power discrpencies, this is the first I've heard of this issue. The way the interaction works is that TrainerRoad takes your speed readings and applies them to a Power Curve for your trainer. Those numbers are then recorded, saved and sent to Strava. Sinceno calculations take place between Strava and TrainerRoad, those numbers should be identical.

Would you mind reaching out to our support team at support@trainerroad.com? They should be able to look into your rides and log files to see what could be the casue of this peculiar issue.

Quote Reply
Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I have been active user of TrainerRoad since the last one year. It has been an excellent tools in improving my cycling power. In addition, I have also used Training Peaks as my training log since I had prepared for Ironman70.3 or Half Distance Triathlon.

Further, do you have a way or conversion from TrainerRoad program (not the post riding result), to be written or transfer into Training Peak?
Currently, I have been doing a manual input from your excellence TR Program into Training Peaks Calendar.

BR,
CRJ

Note: I am not sure how to start a new subject without replying
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Charlie_Jap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charlie_Jap wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I have been active user of TrainerRoad since the last one year. It has been an excellent tools in improving my cycling power. In addition, I have also used Training Peaks as my training log since I had prepared for Ironman70.3 or Half Distance Triathlon.

Further, do you have a way or conversion from TrainerRoad program (not the post riding result), to be written or transfer into Training Peak?
Currently, I have been doing a manual input from your excellence TR Program into Training Peaks Calendar.

BR,
CRJ

Note: I am not sure how to start a new subject without replying

Hey Charlie!

Unfortunately we do not have any way to export our TrainerRoad training plans into Training Peaks. This is a feature that we hope to develop in the near future, however we do not have an ETA for when this feature will become a reality :(

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you at this time.

Cheers,

Quote Reply

Prev Next