Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [slowping] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am by no means an expert but feel that +/- 4 watts is well within the measuring tolerance of your equipment. Looks like your FTP stayed constant. Nothing to be bummed out about.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well that certainly helps me feel better about this. Regardless, i'll take it as good motivation to improve
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

Hey Viper,

We found out what is causing this bug. You're probably hitting your power "floor" of your trainer because of the gearing you're in during your rest periods.

What that means is at the speed that you're going during the rest intervals the Tacx can never lower resistance enough so that you hit your target. Then, if you have power match on we keep trying to lower the target all the way down until we hit a negative number. Then, if you know how ones and zeros work with computers, that negative number actually gets read as a gigantic number by the Tacx and it slams the brake on full.

There's two ways to fix this, one of them by you, and one of them by us. The quick and easy fix is for you to go into a smaller gear during your rest intervals so that you can hit that lower power target.

The fix for us requires a bit of coding and logic around these power floors.

Sorry about this, but for now our guidance is to switch to an easier gears during rest intervals.

Hi Nate

Any update on when the fix for the MAC OSX version of the app will by released?

Thanks

We're deep into OSX development now, but it's still a bit of a ways off. For now, I would shift into a smaller gear during your recovery periods. Sorry :(.

Hi Nate, been approx 8-9 months since above. Has there improvements been made since with powermatch to prevent "flooring"? Or the improvements been only made in the beta?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

Hey Viper,

We found out what is causing this bug. You're probably hitting your power "floor" of your trainer because of the gearing you're in during your rest periods.

What that means is at the speed that you're going during the rest intervals the Tacx can never lower resistance enough so that you hit your target. Then, if you have power match on we keep trying to lower the target all the way down until we hit a negative number. Then, if you know how ones and zeros work with computers, that negative number actually gets read as a gigantic number by the Tacx and it slams the brake on full.

There's two ways to fix this, one of them by you, and one of them by us. The quick and easy fix is for you to go into a smaller gear during your rest intervals so that you can hit that lower power target.

Sorry about this, but for now our guidance is to switch to an easier gears during rest intervals.

Hi Nate

Thanks

We're deep into OSX development now, but it's still a bit of a ways off. For now, I would shift into a smaller gear during your recovery periods. Sorry :(.

Hi Nate, been approx 8-9 months since above. Has there improvements been made since with powermatch to prevent "flooring"? Or the improvements been only made in the beta?

Yes, this is fixed on iOS/Android/Windows along with the Mac beta. You won't see them in the old legacy AIR app. All new development is happening on the new platforms.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowping wrote:
well that certainly helps me feel better about this. Regardless, i'll take it as good motivation to improve

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I'm in the same boat. Worked hard. Saw a slight drop in ftp. Although some of my race performances improved. I'm working with a coach this year for my first IM, so hoping for some gains. Also working on nutrition and making sure I'm not overtraining.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chad, for getting back to me this quickly! Sounds like a solid plan.

Great to have my question answered on the podcast. I really enjoy listening to it during the long, steady rides. This way you guys make me both a faster AND smarter athlete :-)

Yes, I'm time constrained, so that'll be SSB and not traditional.

Two more questions though:
1. I want to put some emphasis on the bike for this first part of the season. Any tips on what to do during the SSB period?
2. During the Ironman race I did earlier this season, I didn't perform on the bike as good as I wanted and hoped to. My IF was 0.6, which was lower than I had planned (0.7). Reviewing my race, I guess it mostly had to do with lack of experience on this distance (like I said: my first Ironman) and lack of focus. Maybe being used to being "locked in" the workouts with TrainerRoad and a Wahoo Kickr didn't translate that well into race performance. Have you got any tips on how to improve this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowping wrote:
I have to say im feeling a little bummed today.

I finished my sweet spot base I last week, and started sweet spot base II this morning with the 8 min test. I was really looking to see how well i had improved over the month, only to find my FTP decreased by 4 points. I feel like i really busted my ass this month, so this one stings a little.

My thoughts are that my first test i did on a late sunday afternoon, and this test i did at my usual training time before breakfast. Is this something that would cause a drop in FTP, even after a what i consider a successful first month? Would i have been overreaching due to my FTP being higher than it should be for my first phase?

My guess is you simply didn't assess to your current capabilities, and this commonly comes down to one or a combination of three things:

1) You weren't sufficiently recovered following your recovery week.
2) You simply had an off day. Sadly, sometimes the tougher days fall on an assessment day.
3) When expecting improvement, riders often pace poorly by going out too hard based on these high expectations.

But another factor worth throwing in here, one that often hampers an early-week assessment is coming into it a bit unprepared for the "discomfort" of testing. Often enough, a recovery week followed by a day off (Monday) is relatively so much easy riding that it leads to some flat all-out performances. If you think this might be the case, flip-flop your Tuesday & Thursday workouts such that you have a hard workout in your legs (even if it's at your old FTP) before you try to assess FTP improvement.

It's also possible that you were still carrying a little too much fatigue coming out of your rest week, too much to demonstrate your improved FTP. This can happen after just 3 hard weeks of training, so it stands to reason that it's even more likely to occur after 5 weeks of training (especially if you did a higher-volume version of SSBI).

If you think this is the case, consider recovering for an extra day, most likely on the bike at a low intensity (40-60min <60% FTP) and giving it another go the next day. It's more important to get a good estimate of FTP than it is to get that next Sweet Spot workout in your legs, especially considering you have 5 weeks of training still ahead.

Finally, what I don't think matters is your workout's time of day unless you skipped dinner the night before. The total workload of an FTP test is roughly 30 minutes of high effort and 30 minutes of recovery-level effort and you don't need much sugar on board to fuel that much work.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Thanks Chad, for getting back to me this quickly! Sounds like a solid plan.

Great to have my question answered on the podcast. I really enjoy listening to it during the long, steady rides. This way you guys make me both a faster AND smarter athlete :-)

Yes, I'm time constrained, so that'll be SSB and not traditional.

Two more questions though:
1. I want to put some emphasis on the bike for this first part of the season. Any tips on what to do during the SSB period?
2. During the Ironman race I did earlier this season, I didn't perform on the bike as good as I wanted and hoped to. My IF was 0.6, which was lower than I had planned (0.7). Reviewing my race, I guess it mostly had to do with lack of experience on this distance (like I said: my first Ironman) and lack of focus. Maybe being used to being "locked in" the workouts with TrainerRoad and a Wahoo Kickr didn't translate that well into race performance. Have you got any tips on how to improve this?

You're very welcome, Lars.

1. Just doing SSB implies an emphasis on the bike, but if you can incorporate a long ride every couple of weekends, something in the neighborhood of 3-5 hours, that would be the single addition that's like to carry the most base-benefit. Just make sure that the following week's workouts don't suffer as a consequence to this addition.

2. Quite the opposite, Lars. Being locked in forces your muscles to contract so frequently and consistently that you're not only incurring more work than you'd get when riding outside (unless you're on a long, steady climb), but it familiarizes you with the challenge of keeping your "foot on the gas" for longer durations, something pretty vital in a triathlon bike leg.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chad for the awesome response!

I'll be stopping my current plan as im only 2 workouts in, and re-assessing before continuing on. You've certainly provided me a wealth of knowledge. Looking forward to the next podcast.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowping wrote:
Thanks Chad for the awesome response!

I'll be stopping my current plan as im only 2 workouts in, and re-assessing before continuing on. You've certainly provided me a wealth of knowledge. Looking forward to the next podcast.

Cheers,

You're very welcome. Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woops, sorry, what I meant was if you have any suggestions for running during the SSB phase. But for some reason that word was removed by autocorrect :-S Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Woops, sorry, what I meant was if you have any suggestions for running during the SSB phase. But for some reason that word was removed by autocorrect :-S Thanks!

I'd base (get it? ;-) that on your running history. Which is to say, unless you have a long one, just do some low-intensity mileage to build up your durability and save the little bits of speed work for the Tri Base plans.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, very punny ;-) Thanks, that makes sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,

I tried pairing my Tickr X to the trainerroad app on my Iphone and it didnt sync up or even see the heart rate monitor. I paired the Kickr and RPM sensors with no problems...have you seen this before? any ideas on trouble shooting or what could cause this to happen?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
Hey Nate,

I tried pairing my Tickr X to the trainerroad app on my Iphone and it didnt sync up or even see the heart rate monitor. I paired the Kickr and RPM sensors with no problems...have you seen this before? any ideas on trouble shooting or what could cause this to happen?
Thanks

Double-check to make sure the Tickr X isn't paired to any other apps or a head-unit. Bluetooth sensors can only connect to one app or 'head-unit' at-a-time — TrainerRoad acting as your head-unit. Also, make sure to be wearing the Tickr X when trying to pair it as well. It could be worth checking the batteries as well. :)

If you're still unable to get it paired up, shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com and one of our agents will be happy to look into your issue further.

Thanks!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

Hey Viper,

Hi Nate

Thanks

Yes, this is fixed on iOS/Android/Windows along with the Mac beta. You won't see them in the old legacy AIR app. All new development is happening on the new platforms.

I am having the same issue. I have a Quarq Riken PM, a Tacx Vortex Smart, and am running TR on a MacBook. When power match is on, the brake on the trainer is applied when in the warm up section (seemingly at random). Once I unpair my Quarq from TR, the ERG works flawlessly other than the 10-30 watt mismatch between TR and the power displayed on my Garmin 500 from my Quarq. Could this be an issue of updating the TR app on the MacBook? I'm fairly certain the firmware on the Vortex has been updated to the latest edition. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad, good morning! My racing season has ended back in October and I am a few weeks away from starting my SSB1 / 2 , SPB HV and then 40K TT plans in preparation for the upcoming year. I have been doing random Sweet Spot , Threshold and a couple of VO2 efforts workouts in these weeks leading up to the start of Base Building. Workouts I have CRUSHED in the past, have become difficult to finish and I have bailed out on 2 of them thus far. I did an FTP test at the conclusion of the season a couple of weeks ago, and was still holding good end of season power @ 325 watts / 4.07 watts per KG.

I believe the issue is a mental block more than physical to be honest. When or If you get to this point, what should one do? My cycling performance is very important to me and I really do not want to go into my Base Phase in my current state. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really trying to avoid significant FTP loss, for fear I will not get it back and then some. My goal is to increase W/KG by race season in April / May.

Also, love the Podcasts and all the valuable info you guys are putting out! 5 Stars!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [markemor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markemor wrote:
Chad, good morning! My racing season has ended back in October and I am a few weeks away from starting my SSB1 / 2 , SPB HV and then 40K TT plans in preparation for the upcoming year. I have been doing random Sweet Spot , Threshold and a couple of VO2 efforts workouts in these weeks leading up to the start of Base Building. Workouts I have CRUSHED in the past, have become difficult to finish and I have bailed out on 2 of them thus far. I did an FTP test at the conclusion of the season a couple of weeks ago, and was still holding good end of season power @ 325 watts / 4.07 watts per KG.

I believe the issue is a mental block more than physical to be honest. When or If you get to this point, what should one do? My cycling performance is very important to me and I really do not want to go into my Base Phase in my current state. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really trying to avoid significant FTP loss, for fear I will not get it back and then some. My goal is to increase W/KG by race season in April / May.

Also, love the Podcasts and all the valuable info you guys are putting out! 5 Stars!!

Sounds like you're just a little burnout, both because the motivation doesn't seem to be there but also because the workouts are grinding you down well below the point they should. And while I completely understand the fear of losing precious bits of FTP, that's all it will amount to if you decide to back things down for a couple/three weeks.

As long as you're still on the bike, logging some consistent endurance work (and you can even ditch that for up to a couple weeks without seeing a big decline in your deeper, harder to build types of fitness), you won't see much, if any, decrease in your aerobic capabilities which is the biggest concern and the most important aspect of FTP.

Moreover, you might see a steady decline in FTP if you keep pushing this hard and carry this condition into your B/B/S cycle rather than taking some time to let your mind recover and body heal. Besides, it sounds like you have a ton of time to get fit and a small drop in FTP will get replaced more quickly than you think, assuming your body is legitimately ready for the stress.

And even if your FTP falls a bit, more thorough between-season recovery will give you a far greater chance of pushing to new heights over the course of this next season. So while it's a hard thing to do, you have to make yourself take it easy between seasons. How long is up to you, but flat workouts and low motivation are an early sign of potentially much worse things to come, especially at the onset of a challenging heap of training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad, thank you so much for your help in this matter as I greatly appreciate your valuable advice regarding training. I will change things up a bit in the weeks prior to the upcoming B/B/S phases. I find it difficult sometimes to back off the intensity in training for fear of losing fitness. Taking the next few weeks to re-calibrate will hopefully rekindle that intensity, as I'm sure it will.

Thank you again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chad-

I'm just about to finish up sweet spot base 1 and really like it. I'm going right into sweet spot base 2 and my A event (half ironman) is 31 weeks away. If I finish sweet spot base 2 and then go right into build and specialty, I'm left with 9 extra weeks. Obviously, the specialty should lead right up to the race. So my question is how should I allocate the extra 9 weeks? Another round of sweet spot base? Should I do two separate builds back to back (sustained power and half-full tri or 2x half-full tri)?

As far as background, cycling is my weakest of the three sports and I have a moderate FTP I'm looking to push up but cycling endurance is my biggest limiter. My A race will be flat, windy and hot.

Thanks. Love the plans and the podcast!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick,

It worked...I think I had the wahoo app running in the background which didnt realize would be an issue. connected no problem this morning. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cjo529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjo529 wrote:

I am having the same issue. I have a Quarq Riken PM, a Tacx Vortex Smart, and am running TR on a MacBook. When power match is on, the brake on the trainer is applied when in the warm up section (seemingly at random). Once I unpair my Quarq from TR, the ERG works flawlessly other than the 10-30 watt mismatch between TR and the power displayed on my Garmin 500 from my Quarq. Could this be an issue of updating the TR app on the MacBook? I'm fairly certain the firmware on the Vortex has been updated to the latest edition. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about the issues. :/ Like Nate mentioned, new development efforts such as the improvements that've been made to PowerMatch are being made to the new versions of our apps. So you do need to update, but to the new version of the Mac app. The new version of the Mac app is still in beta though, so download the beta version here: Download Beta

Let our support team know if you run into any other questions or concerns at support@trainerroad.com.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
Hey Nick,

It worked...I think I had the wahoo app running in the background which didnt realize would be an issue. connected no problem this morning. Thanks

Right on! That tends to happen from time-to-time. :)

Feel free to let us know if you run into any other issues.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick,

Thanks for the quick response! I checked my Mac TR version and it is 2.7.7 which, I believe is the latest. I ran into another problem earlier today as well. I was using the android app and it seemed to be working well with power match. However, when the power increased in TR (for interval), it took up to a minute for the trainer to respond and increase the power to match TR. Once it caught up, it worked well. Hopefully there is a fix for the issue. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mkazan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkazan wrote:
Hi Chad-

I'm just about to finish up sweet spot base 1 and really like it. I'm going right into sweet spot base 2 and my A event (half ironman) is 31 weeks away. If I finish sweet spot base 2 and then go right into build and specialty, I'm left with 9 extra weeks. Obviously, the specialty should lead right up to the race. So my question is how should I allocate the extra 9 weeks? Another round of sweet spot base? Should I do two separate builds back to back (sustained power and half-full tri or 2x half-full tri)?

As far as background, cycling is my weakest of the three sports and I have a moderate FTP I'm looking to push up but cycling endurance is my biggest limiter. My A race will be flat, windy and hot.

Thanks. Love the plans and the podcast!

9 extra weeks is a perfect duration to take one easy week, even after a recovery week, and do something like Trad Base I, II or III depending on what sort of workload you're used to keeping in mind that recuperative low intensity and consistency over this week are the real goals, intensity is not. You can also tack this low-intensity week onto the end of my next suggestion...

Then you can use that additional 8 weeks to slot in some focus on the bike (with necessarily less emphasis on your run & swim, temporarily) and try something like the 40k TT specialty plan or even the Sustained Power build plan if you plan to use the Tri plans afterward - don't want you to repeat the Tri Build plan back-to-back is all.

Best of luck!

Quote Reply

Prev Next