Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I've not been able to find it.

Are there any apps or platforms that allow us to upload Strava or Garmin files and then use as a training ride?

Whilst it's summer here soon I'm soon going to have to do morning rides on a wind trainer and I'd like to be able to simulate rides I do around here.

Thanks

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this same question last year and what I found was less than perfect and in the end it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. What I had done was take GPX files I had ridden before and put them into Best Bike Split which then allowed me to export them as a ERG file. I was then able to ride these courses on my CompuTrainer but the problem was, the course was based on the power outputs I had done during my actual outdoor ride. It didn't take the topography of the course into account and then just create me a ride based on that.

In the end while it was a nice idea I think this is the reason that something doesn't exist for this purpose. I've since been testing a number of various training platforms. I'll recommend you take a look at CycleOps Virtual Training software, Trainer road, or Maximum Trainer. Zwift is another option but not one I would personally recommend for structured training,

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it depends on the trainer.
Ive read through DCrainmaker that some can do it, others obviosuly not
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use [franktheguard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With PerfPro you can re-ride outdoor courses indoor
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that Cycleops Virtual Training lets you do it (assuming that you have a bluetooth enabled trainer).

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want a map view or just a simulated distance/time vs. elevation?

Cycleops VT will give you all your looking for (simply upload a gpx or kml file - not sure if they accept other formats) and will either go off virtual speed if you don't have a smart trainer, or can control resistance based on topography if you do (it will determine speed from power if you have a PM).

I personally got tired of paying the monthly fee and just bought a Joule GPS to control my powerbeam. I can actually upload courses to the computer and re-ride them with controlled resistance from the head unit and not need a separate tablet/laptop. You still need the desktop/laptop to load the files onto the head unit, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer rides - downloading your own courses to use [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used best bike split and synced race video of the same course. Worked pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do this with cycleops virtual trainer..

And from what I read, according to DCrainermaker, the Ant+ open standard will soon allow garmin edge 520 and other devices to do this too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To help clarify a tiny bit on the BBS side. We rolled out (and recently updated) a beta feature to take power data from a .fit (garmin) file to create an erg file from it. You could also set up a race plan and download an erg file or a course file (gradient and head/tail wind component) for computrainer. You could also download what we call a Power Course for a Garmin head unit. If you happen to have an edge 520 and a FE-C compatible trainer you can run this course file directly off the 520 and have it control the trainer, but it's important to know that this will just transmit the gradient and rider+bike weight stored on the head unit. I'm not sure what they use for rolling resistance or CdA from the 520.

Also not sure if that clarified anything or made it even more confusing. Right now there is not a great way that I know of to load a course with gradient, wind, cda, and rolling res into a trainer but I'm sure it's coming as all of these fields are available to adjust on something like a Kickr.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Nov 28, 15 13:41
Quote Reply