Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer Road with new upgraded trainer, Question
Quote | Reply
I've been using TR for some time now with a cheap mag trainer, along with Virtual Power (Garmin Cadence/Speed Sensor). I just upgraded my bike trainer to a Kinetic Road Machine... WOO! However, first ride last night with the new trainer, my power was waaaaay lower than normal. It could have been due to a few reasons, I messed around with the resistance on the unit, but the power was still coming in under where I normally ride.

Question is, should I do a FTP test with the new trainer? Is that recommended to get a more accurate representation of FTP? Would the upgraded trainer make that much of a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road with new upgraded trainer, Question [RunMikeSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you change your trainer within Trainer Road? If not, that could be it. If you did, this one might simply have a different power profile. If you are using a new Kurt Kinetic I think (but don't know) that it's probably a more accurate power profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road with new upgraded trainer, Question [RunMikeSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunMikeSwim wrote:
Should I do a FTP test with the new trainer? Is that recommended to get a more accurate representation of FTP? Would the upgraded trainer make that much of a difference?
I would do a new FTP test any time you make a change in the power system (new power mete or ew trainer). In your case, you effectively changed both. TR indexes your workouts to the FTP power, so if something changes that affects power (even if it is just a shift), it would negatively affect your workouts. I would not worry about matching the past to the present... the Kinetic virtual power is likely to be way more accurate than what you had before.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road with new upgraded trainer, Question [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Changed to Kinetic within the TR Device Settings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunMikeSwim wrote:
I've been using TR for some time now with a cheap mag trainer, along with Virtual Power (Garmin Cadence/Speed Sensor). I just upgraded my bike trainer to a Kinetic Road Machine... WOO! However, first ride last night with the new trainer, my power was waaaaay lower than normal. It could have been due to a few reasons, I messed around with the resistance on the unit, but the power was still coming in under where I normally ride.

Question is, should I do a FTP test with the new trainer? Is that recommended to get a more accurate representation of FTP? Would the upgraded trainer make that much of a difference?

Make sure to switch the VirtualPower setting to the Kinetic Road Machine (which it sounds like you did already) and perform a new FTP test. The truth is some VirtualPower curves are more representative of your true power readings than others, and even then, things like tire pressure, trainer roller tension, heat even can influence your VirtualPower readings. So there's a chance you'll see a slight change in FTP; it's worth retesting just to make sure. :)

If you still think something seems fishy, shoot us a message at support@trainerroad.com and we'll be happy to look into it.

Cheers,

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply