Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever
Quote | Reply
I just downloaded Trainer Road last week. 2 workouts in and I am in love. I don't have a power meter yet (will get one in February most likely) and the ability to use virtual power and follow 1 number while watching Netflix has changed everything for me.

I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer and will be getting a Quarq. Nate Pearson, thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm telling everyone I know about Trainer Road. You will have my money forever.

If you don't have trainer road, get it right now. http://www.trainerroad.com

Anyone else love it as much as I do?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I hate it. Every day i use that thing I hate it more. I often think it wants me to die a slow, painful, agonizing, lonely death. Then I survive. And come back again, and voluntarily allow it to attempt to kill me again. We've had this relationship for 3 years now.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [TriDadInAvl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 years! Why didn't you tell me about this a long time ago!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry. I didn't know you lived under a rock. Who the hell doesn't know about trainer road these days??? Try combining it with Sufferfest. You'll really love it after that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard about it a long time ago. However, I didn't really reserach it or realize what it was capable of until last week :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started using trainerroad about 2 months ago. Before it was a struggle to ride on the trainer for longer than 30 minutes. Doing 1-1.5 hour workouts with trainerroad while streaming netflix are no problem.

I just got a quarq during a black friday sale. It reads higher power that the virtual power calculations so I now have to do a fitness test to set my new FTP. I'm hoping it will be more consistent than virtual power which is affected by tire pressure, the pressure of the roller against the tire, what tire i'm using...... Virtual power is better than nothing. If I didnt do tri's or race cyclocross virtual power would probably be good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though I know it's not 100% accurate compared to an actual power meter, it makes riding for hours on the trainer so much more fun. Just need a little bit more money and I can join the power meter club!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just figured out how to use my MacBook Pro with Multiple displays. I now have full screen Trainer Road AND Full Screen Netflix. I didn't think I could LOVE it any more than I did but I now do.. Its awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I just downloaded Trainer Road last week. 2 workouts in and I am in love. I don't have a power meter yet (will get one in February most likely) and the ability to use virtual power and follow 1 number while watching Netflix has changed everything for me.

I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer and will be getting a Quarq. Nate Pearson, thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm telling everyone I know about Trainer Road. You will have my money forever.

Agreed. Cant remember how long I've had it..maybe just 7-8 months now? Anyhow there is a "best things you've bought this past year" (or something close to that) thread in the LR. I listed it as one of mine.

I differ from you however in that I have no aspirations to buy a PM and am content having virtual power to train with and estimating the best I can in race situations. Much easier on the pocket book and I don't see myself in Kona anytime soon so I'm OK with that ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Anyhow there is a "best things you've bought this past year" (or something close to that) thread in the LR. I listed it as one of mine.
I would list it is the best thing I've bought, ever. I can guarantee nothing else I bought took more time off my races than purposefully forcing me to punish myself each workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe all these people singing the praises of TR! Shouldn't you be keeping this a secret? To anybody in the upper Mid-West in the 40-44 age group, this is a huge waste of money and not worth it! Stay away from it! (In case that didn't come through as pink font, it should be pink font).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDadInAvl wrote:
I'm sorry. I didn't know you lived under a rock. Who the hell doesn't know about trainer road these days??? Try combining it with Sufferfest. You'll really love it after that

Exactly...people having been singing TrainerRoad's praises around here for a long time. This is my 3rd winter with TR and I consider it the single best investment I have made in triathlon. I got in on the $89/yr deal last year so I'll just let it renew every year....I figure $89 a year to have access to power based workouts all day every day is nothing compared to what I have spent on other tri related items.

However, I will be VERY interested to see what happens with Zwift. I don't think they will get into the workout space just yet but power based virtual cycling sounds pretty sick. Not sure what beta testers think yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does nobody have anything bad to say about trainer road? Okay, I'll start.

In a totally objective manner, trainer road has merit, but at $10/mo, it is $10 more expensive than golden cheetah. Maybe $10 a month matters to poor grad students, but that's equivalent to a new pair of socks each month.

Truthfully, I can't think of anything trainer road does that GC doesn't. And it abbreviates to GC, which is great for cyclists of all ages. If it truly is better than GC, please tell me now so I can switch.

Edit: spelling

Dtyrrell
Last edited by: Dtyrrell: Dec 15, 14 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a tool. You get your ROI by using it. I find the training plans help to keep me motivated and on the trainer during winter. I need the structured workouts or I will just do junk miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed I love it I use it year round, just less in the warm weather months. My first year was all virtual power with a KK then I got a PT and after a FTP test was only 2 watts off I was very happy with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The training plans are one thing I don't typically use in GC...Not sure they even have them. But my testing suggests I'm doing just fine with my own plans. That is one benefit for Trainer Road

Dtyrrell
Last edited by: Dtyrrell: Dec 16, 14 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:

In a totally objective manner, trainer road has merit, but at $10/mo, it is $10 more expensive than golden cheetah. Maybe $10 a month matters to poor grad students, but that's equivalent to a new pair of socks each month.

Truthfully, I can't think of anything trainer road does that GC doesn't. And it abbreviates to GC, which is great for cyclists of all ages. If it truly is better than GC, please tell me now so I can switch.

Did you confuse TrainerRoad with TrainingPeaks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Time for a price hike!

Just kidding. :)

Thanks man! And thanks for spreading the word! That's the only way we grow. The more we grow the more people we can hire. The more people we have the more cool training features we can add. The more cool training features we can motivate you more and make you faster! Boom!!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you guys have any T-shirts or hats I can buy to spread the word?

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Anyhow there is a "best things you've bought this past year" (or something close to that) thread in the LR. I listed it as one of mine.

I would list it is the best thing I've bought, ever. I can guarantee nothing else I bought took more time off my races than purposefully forcing me to punish myself each workout.

Can I add this quote to our site? :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road is seriously the best thing ever [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, and thanks for the write up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:

I love the guys at GC, they are very cool.

There are objective differences between the two. I believe the added speed you'll get by using TR is worth the $10/month.

The argument that "A does everything that B does" can be a little misleading. A bike that you get at walmart probably does everything that a nice 2k road bike does...and that does the same thing as a super duper 10k road bike. There are differences at all three levels, but they both have two wheels, pedals and handlebars.

GC is NOT a "Walmart" product though. It does a ton of cool analysis. My comments above are just a generalization about comparing products based on a feature list.

Dtyrrell, I'm going to PM you a code so you can try TrainerRoad :). We have a no risk refund period too, so anyone can sign up and if they don't like it get a refund.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Do you guys have any T-shirts or hats I can buy to spread the word?

I'm going to have Trevor send you a t-shirt. He'll PM you. :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:

I am confused, isn't GC for power analysis only? GC and TC aren't even in the same business.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I love supporting my favorite companies any way I can. I'll be training all winter with Trainer Road and I can't wait to see the results when race season gets here!

Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 16, 14 8:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next