Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer Road Plan help..please
Quote | Reply
I know there are a few of these threads out there but I am needing some advice.

Loving the program and have made huge steps on the bike already. This is my weakest discipline.

I am training for Ironman Whistler and am 16 weeks out at this point. So a long time left still.

I had thought of doing the Sweet spot base 1&2, Sustained Power Build 8 weeks, then since there was no full plan at the time the 12 week half plan but modify it to meet the needs of a full. But now that the full is going to be 8 weeks not 12 I need some guidance as I have made a mess out of what should have been really easy plan.

Currently
Sweet Spot Base 1&2 are done :)
Sustained Power Build: in week 7

So should I redo or add build weeks?add weeks to the new full plan? Both? Take a little time off?

There is almost enough time to redo the entire build faze again.

I was originally going to be short by a few weeks but now I could be short by 7 weeks. What is the best way to fill that without overtraining? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road Plan help..please [gkennedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep building. I heard the IM plan would be out by the end of this week. *crosses fingers*
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Road Plan help..please [gkennedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've definitely been doing your homework this winter, great to see! The first thing to take into consideration is over training. You need to be careful right now. How do you feel? Tired or good to go? If you're tired, finish up the 8th week of your current Build plan, which is basically an active recovery week. Then, you can jump into Traditional Base for 6 weeks to bring all of the body's systems back up to 100% before jumping into the new 8 week Specialty plan and repeating the 7th week so the 8th week still lands right before your event so you taper effectively.

If you're not feeling tired and want to keep going, I'd still recommend finishing up that 8th "active recovery" week of your current Build plan but then it gets a little more complex:

- First 3 weeks of Specialty Plan
- Active recovery week
- Repeat last 4 weeks of Build plan (final week is active recovery)
- Complete entire Specialty plan

This way you are still getting pretty substantial rest and recovery before you take on the full Specialty plan, but the training is adequate and fitness will still be increasing throughout the entire process.

Also, it'd be very beneficial for motivation and for practice/preparation to find a smaller race to target somewhere in between those 16 weeks.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply