Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test
Quote | Reply
My next FTP test is coming up in two weeks. I botched the previous FTP test by going hard (400+) out of the gate and effectively giving myself a meaningless result.

Based on last season's ride data, I suspect my FTP is actually around 250.

In order to get near my 250 FTP "goal" for this next test, where should my target watts be for the 20 minute section?

I'm using Tacx Neo during the test, so accuracy is presumed.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [Ganellon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between 263-264.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [Ganellon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 minute test: goal ftp / 0.95

8 minute test: goal ftp / 0.9

So for a 20 minute test with a ftp goal of 250 your test interval should be 250 / 0.95 = 263.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ganellon wrote:
My next FTP test is coming up in two weeks. I botched the previous FTP test by going hard (400+) out of the gate and effectively giving myself a meaningless result.

Based on last season's ride data, I suspect my FTP is actually around 250.

In order to get near my 250 FTP "goal" for this next test, where should my target watts be for the 20 minute section?

I'm using Tacx Neo during the test, so accuracy is presumed.

My vote is for starting out at ~ 263 watts and see how that feels. Adjust upward or downward if needed.
On a side note, my Neo consistently matches with my Power2max power meter within 1/2 of a percent.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my initial FTP test last winter I felt I had a really good training block of a couple months so I took my November FTP and divided it by 0.9 instead of 0.95 and used that as my beginning power for the January test. It was a little aggressive but I hit my target plus I was able to hold 130% of previous FTP for the last couple of minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goal of 20min FTP test is as even as humanly possible over 20 mins. TrainerRoad offers great tips while you ride it.

Things you definitely don't do: surge in beginning, surge in end, surge anywhere in middle.

You should be metering your effort evenly. If you suspect 250 FTP then starting out around 260-265 is ok. After a few minutes adjusting up or down a few watts. TR has you readjust on the 5 min increments. To start you should be uncomfortable but managing. First 5 minutes should be tough but doable. The last 5 minutes you should feel like you're barely hanging onto your life. Not bc youre surging 130% FTP like one poster said but because you just spent 15 straight minutes above your threshold and the lactic acid buildup has caught up. In fact it's very clear if you can surge at end that you have performed an inaccurate test. If anything you may have a slight dip or two as you suffer.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2.

The last five minutes hurt so good. I can agree 100% with barely hanging on. If you feel inspired during the last few minutes to surge, you had more in you.

The best thing about subsequent reassessments is that TR gives you a target power to shoot for... This helps me with initial pacing to keep things honest, but by halfway through, I know if I need to be up or down.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
The best thing about subsequent reassessments is that TR gives you a target power to shoot for...

Just note that this target is actually at 102% of your last tested FTP. So if you follow that target exactly, your test will result in an FTP ~3% lower than before. So if your expecting that you've improved since your last test, be sure to bump up the intensity by a few percent if you're going to reference that target.

I'm not sure what the rationale is for making the target 102%...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good results by breaking down the 20 minute test into 5 minute segments and having target power for each 5 minutes with the first one being a bit lower. As they say, don't go out too hard.

For you to get an FTP of 250 I would look at doing the following:

Average power required to achieve FTP of 250 is 262.5 x .95

1st 5 min: 256
2nd 5 min: 262
3rd 5 min: 271
4th 5 min: 262

Hope this helps. And of course if you're feeling strong in the last one then give it heaps.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PMo wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
The best thing about subsequent reassessments is that TR gives you a target power to shoot for...

Just note that this target is actually at 102% of your last tested FTP. So if you follow that target exactly, your test will result in an FTP ~3% lower than before. So if your expecting that you've improved since your last test, be sure to bump up the intensity by a few percent if you're going to reference that target.

I'm not sure what the rationale is for making the target 102%...

There are three different tests I'm aware of. If you ride the targets on all three you come out at three different new ftps. (Yes I understand you are not supposed to just ride the target on a test. Just pointing out what is there).

Let's say you have a current ftp setting of 200.

8 minute test: interval 110% = 220, that x 0.9 = 198. Ftp reduction of 2W (down 1%).

20 minute test: interval is 102% = 204, that x 0.95 = 194. Ftp reduction of 6W (down 3%).

Sufferfest Rubber Glove (alternate 20 minute test): interval is 110% = 220, that x 0.95 = 209. Ftp increase of 9W (up 4%).

For whatever reason the 8 minute test used to yield +3%. They changed it at some point. Makes no sense to me why.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
I've had good results by breaking down the 20 minute test into 5 minute segments and having target power for each 5 minutes with the first one being a bit lower. As they say, don't go out too hard.

Hope this helps. And of course if you're feeling strong in the last one then give it heaps.

I second this. I have had success pacing in this manner, the goal being to have the first 5 min section the lowest average of each 5 min section (which TR breaks down in the lap splits). You are not looking for a huge discrepancy as you want to be evenly paced, but this should help going out too strong. I tend to be about 5 watts below my 20 min average on the first five, pretty close to average on the second 5, and then a little above average in the last 10 min, but overall I feel like this nets a pretty even 20 min keeping things in about a 10 watt range.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Pacing For Target FTP - 20 Minute Test [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:

I think this is a good roadmap. Even though the goal is to pace evenly, I tend to start off conservatively and, if I can, hammer harder toward the end.
Quote Reply