Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
TrainerRoad

GreatScott

Jun 30, 12 16:10

Post #1 of 13 (2301 views)
TrainerRoad Quote | Reply

Feedback on this forum lead me to TrainerRoad (thanks!).

Now that I've signed up, I'm looking for feedback on favorite workouts. My goal is to improve a 3hr HIM bike split. I'm thinking of starting with the Advanced Build I Plan. I generally do two 90-120 minute trainer sessions per week, with a 3 hr road ride on the weekend. Any users out there with input on the Advanced Build plan? Or other TR plans?

Also looking for feedback on using heart rate or virtual power to manage intensity. Apparently, my Cateye speed/cadence sensor is not compatible with TR. Keep it simple and go with heart rate? Or pick up a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor and overhaul my electronics?

orphious

Jun 30, 12 16:36

Post #2 of 13 (2280 views)
Re: TrainerRoad [GreatScott] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Get the speed and cadence sensor. Do you have an ant + stick to? If not pic that up as well.

kileyay

Jun 30, 12 16:38

Post #3 of 13 (2275 views)

You will get great benefit from doing Starr King and Gray

Nate Pearson

Jul 1, 12 11:54

Post #4 of 13 (2156 views)

The advanced build plan will suite you well. You could switch some of those Tuesday burst workouts out with Grey (3x15 @ threshold) and Starr King (2x20 @ threshold).

Advanced build I gives you 7 hours of indoor cycling a week; a lot of that at threshold or above. If you stick with I think you will totally improve your 3 hour HIM split.

I strongly suggest using VirtualPower or getting a power meter. Best way to train in my opinion.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.trainerroad.com - Indoor Cycling Training System

GreatScott

Jul 1, 12 15:03

Post #5 of 13 (2085 views)
Re: TrainerRoad [Nate Pearson] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also looking at Novice/Experienced Competitor High Volume and, as I build towards IM, Novice/Experienced Century High Volume. I like the 3x per week format, intensity and volume of those plans.

My only holdback on virtual power is that I have to overhaul my electronics. I like the simplicity of my Cateye wireless. Am I correct that it is not compatible with TR?

I'm sure I'd learn to like a Garmin head unit such as the Frontrunner, but I'm reluctant to go there when I'm just chasing virtual power. I've thought of just adding the sensor, but not sure I want two sensors on the frame.

Thoughts on any of that?

Scott

(This post was edited by GreatScott on Jul 1, 12 15:51)

ironultrared

Jul 1, 12 15:38

Post #6 of 13 (2059 views)

I used this during imtx training. Indoor during the week, outside on the weekends. Garmin 910, hrm and the speed/cadence sensor. Worked well and kept it simple - just one computer for all my training.

Nate Pearson

Jul 1, 12 16:19

Post #7 of 13 (2043 views)

Which trainer do you have?

If you have a kurt kinetic trainer you could hook at speed sensor to the actual trainer. We just have to give you the correct drum diameter but it works just as well. That way you don't have to add anything to your bike.

The novice/experienced competitor plans are good. Those are based on Carmichael's time crunch philosophy. My advice is don't bite off too much. Pick what you can do consistently and do that. Once you've got that done up the volume if you wish.

GreatScott

Jul 1, 12 16:41

Post #8 of 13 (2025 views)

Great solution! I'm on a KK Road Machine. Which sensor works best in that application? The Garmin GSC10? How do I attach it to the trainer and find the drum diameter? Sorry for 1 million questions. I'm on the TR website now and can't find these answers (user error I'm sure).

Thanks for the input on the plans. I'll do the 8 or 20 minute test next week and go from there.

Scott

(This post was edited by GreatScott on Jul 1, 12 17:59)

Nate Pearson

Jul 1, 12 19:30

Post #9 of 13 (1971 views)

*deleted - inRide works*

(This post was edited by Nate Pearson on Jul 24, 13 9:33)

GreatScott

Jul 1, 12 19:58

Post #10 of 13 (1948 views)

On it. Just to confirm. I will order this: http://www.idahomountaintouring.com/...-sensor-161136-1.htm

Thanks again,

Scott

Nate Pearson

Jul 1, 12 20:45

Post #11 of 13 (1922 views)

That's not the one I'm thinking of. I'm going to email you the correct one tomorrow morning.

heliix

Sep 27, 12 6:24

Post #12 of 13 (1529 views)

Nate Pearson wrote:
We dont have that solution listed on out site, but it works!

Get the bontager ant+ speed sensor. The little magnet drops in the hole that's on the drum. I'll have to email Kurt to get the correct diameter.

When you get your speed sensor email me at support@trainerroad.com and I'll show you how to set it up.

Hey Nate,
Will this method of attaching the speed sensor on the trainer vs the bike produce a more steady power readout?

“One of the benefits of freedom is people can disagree. It’s fair to say I created plenty of opportunity to exercise that right. “ G.W. Bush

(This post was edited by heliix on Sep 27, 12 6:25)

Nate Pearson

Sep 27, 12 8:34

Post #13 of 13 (1411 views)
Re: TrainerRoad [heliix] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

No, probably a less steady power output because it reads the data more quickly. Having it on the rear wheel and having a good heavy fly wheel makes the data naturally smooth.

My advice is to always pedal more smoothly :).

America's ITU Prowess
Should ITU efforts in the U.S. be considered a success because of its winning women, or a failure because of its lack of consistent performances by its men?
Success
Failure
Both
More complicated
I don't care