Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Train low, muscle adaptions
Quote | Reply
So muscle fiber 1 (slow) likes fat for fuel and fiber 2 (fast) like glucose.
If I understand correctly one first use type 1 until they are tired and then you start to use type 1 (i.e. walking is most type 1).

So what is happening when I train with low/empty glucose stores?
When the type 1 muscles get tired, type 2 cannot help?

Does this means type 1 get a lot of training but type 2 get nothing?

I feel that after a ride with low glucose, my recovery is far longer then with more energy available.
Is this because the slow muscles get really tired and have to recover a long time?

Clarification: This often happens when I go for a long ride (4h+) with little (40-60g/h) or no carbs.
If I do 2x2-2.5h with food between or go with more energy I don't get the burning sensation in the legs
"last" hour of the ride, which seems to imply long recovery.

Can someone clarify :)
Last edited by: johan123: May 31, 16 2:48
Quote Reply
Re: Train low, muscle adaptions [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recovery should be the most important thing you do. If you recover slowly, then your quality of training will suffer.

So instead of getting wrapped around the axel of muscle fibers, why not just stop training fasted so you recover faster?

I think fasted workouts should really be limited to very low intensity session anyway where recovery from them isn't difficult. Ez 30 minute jog or 60 minute recovery spin. You know?

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Train low, muscle adaptions [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
Recovery should be the most important thing you do. If you recover slowly, then your quality of training will suffer.

So instead of getting wrapped around the axel of muscle fibers, why not just stop training fasted so you recover faster?

I think fasted workouts should really be limited to very low intensity session anyway where recovery from them isn't difficult. Ez 30 minute jog or 60 minute recovery spin. You know?

Sure, but that does not answer any of the questions I had :)
I don't train fasted so often, but I get low on energy in my (4h+ rides).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excess fatigue from previous unrecovered workouts, poor aerobic fitness, or under fueling during that specific session.

Your questions won't help you become a better athlete. So I'm not sure an answer is needed. Again...just my opinion.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Train low, muscle adaptions [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
Excess fatigue from previous unrecovered workouts, poor aerobic fitness, or under fueling during that specific session.

Your questions won't help you become a better athlete. So I'm not sure an answer is needed. Again...just my opinion.

Perhaps understanding is not needed for becoming better, but it can not hurt I guess :)
And I think the muscular adaptions are interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/...Noakes/dp/0873229592

It will answer your question and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hawley / Burke group has done quite a bit on fasted training / fat adaptation etc.
Here's a more recent article from them:

https://www.researchgate.net/...e_Sleep_Low_Strategy

A few considerations
1. Improvements in fat oxidation through dietary manipulations has NOT been shown to improve performance in events such as a 10K running race.

2. Training in a low carbohydrate state is a large stress on your body. In my opinion it can hasten the move toward over-training. It is a tool that needs to be used sparingly and appropriately.

3. Training in a low carbohydrate state will decrease the amount of work that you can sustain. If you attempt higher intensities efforts, your wattage will be reduced.

4. Regardless of how you ingest calories during exercise, your body will reduce it's carbohydrate oxidation if you begin in a low-carb state. IE you can't eat past a low-carb start. At least not metabolically. (Welton / Noakes 1998)

5. Training in a low-carb state tends to upregulate p53, PGC-1a etc for an increase in mitochondrial biogenesis. Therefore, it may improve the bodys ability to complete work aerobically.

6. Fibers are recruited primarily based on force. As central signaling, calling for more force, increases a larger number of type II fibers will become active. At low intensities it is primarily Slow -twitch (through "base intensity") At threshold the slow-twitch and a significant number of type IIa fibers are involved. At maximal aerobic power, The slow, IIa and a signficant number of IIx fibers are involved.

7. Training in a low-carb state reduces the intensity that fast twitch fibers are utilized at, IE they "kick in" sooner. This may be because during long training at low-intensities the slow-twitch fibers have depleted their stores, but the lesser used Fast twitch fibers still have high glycogen content. This has implications both in carb-depleted training and in long-duration training. Therefore, at the beginning of your low-intensity but long ride you may have been using say 10% Fast twitch, but by the end your were at 30%. (Gollnick /Saltin 1974)

8. Your reduced recovery could be because of the time-course to refill glyocgen stores. We're looking at least 48 hours of ingesting large amounts of carbohdyrate with little to no exercise for fastest recovery. However, if you are still training or eating a moderate amount of carbs, that could be longer.

Training Low-carb is an interesting beast. I feel it can lead to moderate improvements in aerobic performance, however, there is a high likelyhood of not doing it appropriately and it being detrimental.

60g of CHO per hour may be a lot or a little... just depends on what your wattage is.

I think that touches on all of your questions?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Train low, muscle adaptions [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
https://www.researchgate.net/...e_Sleep_Low_Strategy

2. Training in a low carbohydrate state is a large stress on your body. In my opinion it can hasten the move toward over-training. It is a tool that needs to be used sparingly and appropriately.

5. Training in a low-carb state tends to upregulate p53, PGC-1a etc for an increase in mitochondrial biogenesis. Therefore, it may improve the bodys ability to complete work aerobically.

8. Your reduced recovery could be because of the time-course to refill glyocgen stores. We're looking at least 48 hours of ingesting large amounts of carbohdyrate with little to no exercise for fastest recovery. However, if you are still training or eating a moderate amount of carbs, that could be longer.

Training Low-carb is an interesting beast. I feel it can lead to moderate improvements in aerobic performance, however, there is a high likelyhood of not doing it appropriately and it being detrimental.

60g of CHO per hour may be a lot or a little... just depends on what your wattage is.

I think that touches on all of your questions?

Great input!
Answers like this make me want to post here :)

My distance pace is usually 200-220 watt.
Number 8 in you're list, would that answer why I feel more tired when biking 1 km to work in the morning, at ~ 100 watt?
I guess that is more number 2. and that 2 + 8 is the reason why I feel tired on the training the next day.

One of my questions could be stated, why number 2?
Why is it so much stress? Is it because you force the type 2 to help?
If I do a hard squat session on the gym, I also get tired for days.
Quote Reply