Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail shoes for ultras...
Quote | Reply
I'm building up my mileage to run a couple of ultras (only 50Ks for now), and am having some issues finding the right shoe. I've been experimenting with Hokas for the last few years, and have had a few pair of Hokas. Specifically, I've had... Bondi B, Bondi 2, Stinson EVO Tarmac, and Stinson EVO Trail.

The Bondi models fit the better than the others, and I loved the super-soft ride. However, they didn't have enough support and allowed my ankle to roll inward - especially toward the end of long runs. I tried custom orthotics & a couple of OTC versions (Powerstep, etc.) to no avail. I just couldn't get used to the feel.

The Stinson Tarmacs didn't fit as nice as the Bondis. Not enough to cause issues (blisters, etc.), they just didn't feel as good. But they did work better for me. They seemed to be just a little more firm & supportive.

The Stinson Trails feel mostly like the Tarmacs (which is to say not as plush or roomy as the Bondis). But, again, they don't cause any issues. However, I am experiencing a little of the same ankle rolling inward issue now that my long runs are getting longer AND I seem to actually roll my ankles (toward the outside) more than in "standard" shoes, possibly due to the lack of trail feel.

So, in summary, I really like the protection the Hokas provide (both cushioning & from sharp rocks), but it seems I need something that's just a little firmer/more supportive. I see there are a bunch of new Hoka models. Would one of those fit the bill? Or, I'm open to other suggestions, too.

For reference, I've found that the following road shoes work pretty well for me (in order of preference)... Brooks PureCadence, Newton Distance, Brooks PureFlow, Saucony Kinvara 3.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Trail shoes for ultras... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the Altra Olympus, 0 zero and lots of cushion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Altra Paradigm, here is a decent review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qActYwTwIMc

The_Mickstar wrote:
I'm building up my mileage to run a couple of ultras (only 50Ks for now), and am having some issues finding the right shoe. I've been experimenting with Hokas for the last few years, and have had a few pair of Hokas. Specifically, I've had... Bondi B, Bondi 2, Stinson EVO Tarmac, and Stinson EVO Trail.

The Bondi models fit the better than the others, and I loved the super-soft ride. However, they didn't have enough support and allowed my ankle to roll inward - especially toward the end of long runs. I tried custom orthotics & a couple of OTC versions (Powerstep, etc.) to no avail. I just couldn't get used to the feel.

The Stinson Tarmacs didn't fit as nice as the Bondis. Not enough to cause issues (blisters, etc.), they just didn't feel as good. But they did work better for me. They seemed to be just a little more firm & supportive.

The Stinson Trails feel mostly like the Tarmacs (which is to say not as plush or roomy as the Bondis). But, again, they don't cause any issues. However, I am experiencing a little of the same ankle rolling inward issue now that my long runs are getting longer AND I seem to actually roll my ankles (toward the outside) more than in "standard" shoes, possibly due to the lack of trail feel.

So, in summary, I really like the protection the Hokas provide (both cushioning & from sharp rocks), but it seems I need something that's just a little firmer/more supportive. I see there are a bunch of new Hoka models. Would one of those fit the bill? Or, I'm open to other suggestions, too.

For reference, I've found that the following road shoes work pretty well for me (in order of preference)... Brooks PureCadence, Newton Distance, Brooks PureFlow, Saucony Kinvara 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depending on the trail conditions you may consider sticking with the road shoes that have worked for you. I have gone long (50k+) in kinvara 4s on trails that are not super technical or muddy. I don't have experience with Hokas or your cushion needs, but I have found a lot of trail shoes to be overbuilt for what is required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said ^^^^ stick with your preferred road shoes when the trails are sufficiently tame. If you need something a bit more trailworthy, then I'm going to suggest what I always suggest for rough trails and ultras: Salomon Speedcross. They're the best mix of long distance and trail features.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply