Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail shoes for Escape From Alcatraz?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an opinion on whether regular running shoes would be better than trail shoes for the Escape? Most of the run is on trail or sand. Right now I'm thinking about using my trail shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail shoes for Escape From Alcatraz? [lguh6000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd probably be fine with either, but I used regular shoes last year and they were fine. The trail is pretty hard packed and there are still sections on concrete or asphalt.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Trail shoes for Escape From Alcatraz? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my Kinvara 3, which is a lightweight running shoe and I was fine.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lightweight trail shoe would work, but anything heavy duty would be overkill. The trail is just loose on the top, but I was fine in old fashioned trainers. I'd probably race in flats if I did that race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best shoe would probably be a lightweight one with some tread (some minor lugging or waffle pattern, like the Kinvaras or Flyknit Racers). Next best choice would be a lightweight road racing flat (flat tread like the Lunar Racer, or Noosa Fast). A full-on trail shoe would be too heavy, and generally be overkill.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Montrail Rogue Racers, sort of a trail flat. At the time, my only other option was a pair of Nike Luna Racers that was well past its lifespan. A full trail shoe is definitely overkill I agree, but I also wouldn't go with something paper thin/light/treadless either.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ASICS Fuji Racers would be a good option too. Might consider taping the drain holes if you think that would be an issue in the sand.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done this race several times. Trail shoes are not necessary. It's not muddy or rough. Run in your normal running/racing shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input, I think I'll go with my regular running shoes. My main concern was surface grip but it seems like most of the trail is hard packed with the exception of the sand portion.
Quote Reply