Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail running on Long Island
Quote | Reply
Where are some good places to hit the trails on Long Island? I'm in the Huntington area and I'm already aware of Sunken Meadow, Stillwell (from soccer fields to CSH Library), and the Nature Conservancy across from CSH High School. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Where are some good places to hit the trails on Long Island? I'm in the Huntington area and I'm already aware of Sunken Meadow, Stillwell (from soccer fields to CSH Library), and the Nature Conservancy across from CSH High School. Any other suggestions?

I'm in Kings Park so not too far away. I run a little bit in Blydenburgh county park in Smithtown. 1 loop there is just a little over 6 miles and you get some good rolling terain. It's really nice running in there during the fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Stillwell you can connect to the GreenBelt Trail, aka Trailview State Park and head south to Bethpage State Park which has around 30 miles of trails in a big maze. Then you can still keep going, mostly on trails along the paved Bike Path all the way to Massapequa. To get on the Greenbelt trail you have to get to the part of Stillwell with the rooty, steppy decents that go down to the railroad tracks. Follow the trail as it goes to your left through a narrow exit next to the bamboo and turn right through the tunnel under the tracks. Then go up the hill and the trail will take you to the Stop and Shop on Jericho Twp. Across the street is the beginning of Trailview. If you don't understand that then start at the S&S and first run north to Stillwell then run south toward Bethpage. When I was mountain biking, I would do an over 50 mile ride by doing a lap of Bethpage, across Trailview, 2 laps of Stillwell and another different lap of Bethpage.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CLIMB sets up the mountain bike trails. I don't see why you couldn't trail run on them.
http://www.bicyclelongisland.org/climfram.htm

Cathedral Pines
http://thebicycleplanet.com/dir/193/files/cathedral_pines.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of Climbs trails are shared trails and some like Cathedral Pines are mountain bike trails. On the specific mountain bike trails, you should run in the bike direction and yield right of way to the bikes. The guys from Climb do a fantastic job of maintaining the all the trails, remember that when you are out running.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Manorville Hills. 7.5 mile loop, and it will kick your butt.

https://www.davidwaring.net/hiking/ManorvilleHills.html

Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On the specific mountain bike trails, you should run in the bike direction and yield right of way to the bikes.
I'm sort of the opposite opinion, in that I think you should run opposite the mountain bike direction, so you can see/hear them coming. I run the MVH blue (MTB) trail often, and I always run backwards. Bikes come flying through there so fast, and you can't always hear them behind you - if you're on their line through a turn, something's gotta give. Facing them gives at least a visual of an oncoming rider. My opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [BubbaKardashian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you but I know what they want. I'm talking about the specified mountain bike trails. I was a Climb member for a few years and I know that they would prefer that runners stay off the mountain bike trails but if we are there they want us going in the same direction.

Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [King_of_QZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
King_of_QZ wrote:
[

I'm in Kings Park so not too far away. I run a little bit in Blydenburgh county park in Smithtown. 1 loop there is just a little over 6 miles and you get some good rolling terain. It's really nice running in there during the fall.

Good point! I did a Walk for Cystic Fibrosis there a few months ago, it would be nice to run on those trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
From Stillwell you can connect to the GreenBelt Trail, aka Trailview State Park and head south to Bethpage State Park which has around 30 miles of trails in a big maze. Then you can still keep going, mostly on trails along the paved Bike Path all the way to Massapequa. To get on the Greenbelt trail you have to get to the part of Stillwell with the rooty, steppy decents that go down to the railroad tracks. Follow the trail as it goes to your left through a narrow exit next to the bamboo and turn right through the tunnel under the tracks. Then go up the hill and the trail will take you to the Stop and Shop on Jericho Twp. Across the street is the beginning of Trailview. If you don't understand that then start at the S&S and first run north to Stillwell then run south toward Bethpage. When I was mountain biking, I would do an over 50 mile ride by doing a lap of Bethpage, across Trailview, 2 laps of Stillwell and another different lap of Bethpage.

I do know all of that from mountain biking it and I definitely wouldn't want to go that route. My goal is to stay off mtn biking trails. I just don't feel like running with a bunch of bikers. I'd like to find more open trails. The Stillwell to CSH library trail I'm talking about has no bikers on it, it's a different set of trails in Stillwell and it's awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
CLIMB sets up the mountain bike trails. I don't see why you couldn't trail run on them.
http://www.bicyclelongisland.org/climfram.htm

Cathedral Pines
http://thebicycleplanet.com/dir/193/files/cathedral_pines.pdf

Sweeney wrote:
I agree with you but I know what they want. I'm talking about the specified mountain bike trails. I was a Climb member for a few years and I know that they would prefer that runners stay off the mountain bike trails but if we are there they want us going in the same direction.

I'm going to agree with Sweeney here, I'd rather stay off their stuff and stick to just running trails/hiking trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above; Manorville Hills is fantastic. There is a 15k running race next month there that will lay you out!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
As mentioned above; Manorville Hills is fantastic. There is a 15k running race next month there that will lay you out!

I know all about it...which is why I'm staying away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually mtn bike the local trails and have run both Stillwell and Glacier. I also ran in the same directions as bikers and usually run with music but when running trails I dont have music so that I can hear the bikers behind me and try to move out of the way. Glacier is about 12 miles if you do the complete trail, one of my favorites for mtn biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a little far for you, but Avalon Park has some nice trails but you have to run loops if you are looking to rack up some decent mileage (I stash nutrition/water so I don't have to run with it all, so the loops actually work out for me). Lots of ups, downs, and turns to keep things interesting.

Laural Ridge in East Setauket has MTB trails on one side (east) and hiking (although people ride it also) on the other side of Belle Mead Rd. I run opposite bike traffic if I do run it.

If you want to run real long (Can pretty much go from north short to the south shore) you can run the power lines starting in Port Jefferson. You can also park at the start of the Setauket Greenway trail and when it hits the powerlines, start to follow them. They actually intersect with the Laural Ridge MTB trails, so you can do some of that too if you want. You do have to cross some major streets if you run the power lines though.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail running on Long Island [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That powerline run ain't no fun. Lots and lots of soft sand for miles. But if that's your thang ...

The earlier comment about the LI Greenbelt trail is a good one. You can go all the way from the south shore (Hecksher Park) to the north shore (Oyster Bay) on it. And the northernmost 2 miles is quite hilly.

But Manorville Hills is the shit. All up-and-down. That'll put hair on your chest, for our little island at sea level.
Quote Reply