Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail 13.1 yesterday. Why are my arms so sore?
Quote | Reply
I raced the Xterra trail 13.1 yesterday (well, I ran it), and today my body is pretty good except my arms, which feel completely dead. Any causes for this? or things I should strengthen/work on to avoid it in the future?

This is something I've never experienced before, so I'm just a little curious. My triceps, biceps, and deltoids feel worse than after any long swim or climb I've ever done.

I run a lot of trail races, and quite often find my arms and shoulders are a bit sore afterwards; especially on the longer races. I think it is from a combination of using them for balance on the corners and downhills, aka flailing wildly. Just my theory at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail 13.1 yesterday. Why are my arms so sore? [gdub4955] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would make sense. Any ways of dealing with it or preventing it? or should I just get used to it?

A thought:

Years ago I would notice that after races, my arms/shoulders were sore, but could never figure out why.

Then one day I did a V02 max test and a friend recorded some video from it, and I noticed how low my arms were hanging. That's when I realized that me letting my arms hang down lower took more energy to move them with my cadence, thus the soreness.

For a while after that, I made a conscious effort to hold my hands up a bit higher, especially while running at a high effort. I've not had any soreness in the years since.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Trail 13.1 yesterday. Why are my arms so sore? [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rpeterson wrote:
I raced the Xterra trail 13.1 yesterday (well, I ran it), and today my body is pretty good except my arms, which feel completely dead. Any causes for this? or things I should strengthen/work on to avoid it in the future?

This is something I've never experienced before, so I'm just a little curious. My triceps, biceps, and deltoids feel worse than after any long swim or climb I've ever done.

Lift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first 3 half marathons were like this. 100% the day after, my arms were more sore than my legs.

It went away in the last 2 years. 2 things changed:

1) I started bench press and am about 3x as strong
2) I ran a lot more races and have better posture now

Cannot say for sure which one fixed it ;) Maybe both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifting is a waste of time. Just run trails more.
You use your arms more on the trails: pumping to propel you up the slopes, waving (flailing) them about for balance, possibly carrying a water bottle. Just repeat that stimulus often and they'll get strong enough to cope and you'll be getting in more miles as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Trail 13.1 yesterday. Why are my arms so sore? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lifting is not a waste of time. Also, babes.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail 13.1 yesterday. Why are my arms so sore? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
Lifting is not a waste of time. Also, babes.

This!!
Last edited by: toebutt769: Sep 22, 14 21:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're not looking to gain a bunch of mass to have to carry around, look into progressive calistentics. A ton of varying excersize you can do, plus most of them don't need any equipment. You can get your strength training in outside, or inside the gym.
I have been working it into my short runs... run a 1/4 mileish, do a set, run another 1/4, do a set... etc.
Quote Reply