Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tracking devices during IM races
Quote | Reply
Are there any tracking devices that are available at IM races, which allow a spectator to follow an athlete's progress on the course? I seem to remember that Trakkers used to do so, but they seem to be associated with Rev3 races now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Just go to the main Ironman website or the specific Ironman race site on the day of the race. There is a track athlete feature. Or, just run a search along the lines of, for example, Ironman Lake Placid athlete tracker.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [Hurry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those only tell you when an athlete crosses a mat. There are I think 2 companies that sell or rent what the OP asked for trakkers and one other (I forget) the name).

Tou could also look for the GPS things that you put on wayward dog's collars to allow you to find them.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try My Athlete Live, just used one on their gps chips in Louisville, worked fantastic.
It was amazing, my family could follow right along, they even maped the course out and showed the elevation profile.
My two friends each had one and they could see all three of us live on the web.
http://www.myathletelive.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [chris_mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris_mac wrote:
Try My Athlete Live, just used one on their gps chips in Louisville, worked fantastic.
It was amazing, my family could follow right along, they even maped the course out and showed the elevation profile.
My two friends each had one and they could see all three of us live on the web.http://www.myathletelive.com/[/quote[/url]]

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the company that IM is working with now? Are they available at the race site?

It would have to be tiny for me to be willing to carry it, but it sure would make life easier on my support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't think Im is working with them.
You have to pre-order it and they ship it to you hotel.
It's about the size of a bic lighter, I never knew it was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!

It looks like Irene has knocked them out for awhile, I'll check it out more once they are back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised the athlete tracking service never caught on (at least my impression has been that it hasn't). The infrequency of checkpoints/splits at IM's really surprises me...and so many people have the entire family in tow to spectate...along with friends at home. It seems like such a great idea, but even as much I think it's cool, I've never used the service.

I hear there is an iPhone app that syncs to a GPS service and friends can track your progress and send you messages, which your phone will then "speak" to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [conomac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word of warning with IM Live, seems like an awesome idea...if you're in the States. $29.99 plus shipping one way is a bargain for support crews. But it says nothing about international cost until you checkout and go to pay. I was set to get one shipped up for IMC until they emailed me to tell me its $79.99 for single international race day, plus the shipping back. I really hope that some company runs with this idea because it makes sense and makes the support crew's life a lot easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris_mac wrote:
My two friends each had one and they could see all three of us live on the web.
http://www.myathletelive.com/

Is there anymore information about My Athlete Live out there? I'm interested in the product, but they don't even show a picture of the unit on the site that I can find.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
faq's...
http://www.myathletelive.com/faqs/

the unit measures approximaley 2" tall x 1" wide x 1/2" deep
wear it on you race number belt and you'll never notice it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
chris_mac wrote:
My two friends each had one and they could see all three of us live on the web.http://www.myathletelive.com/[/quote[/url]]

X2

used this in IMLP. had probably 40-50 tracking me from MI to NYC to Melbourne. It worked pretty well when it could get cell phone coverage. LP is probably a bit more difficult cuz of the "hills" but other races shouldn't be too bad because you won't have as much blocking the cell signals. It will definitely become more common place when it's 1) cheaper, and 2) working in collaboration with your gps phone. Still for in IM, I didn't mind the one time purchase. You get a racebelt with a bespoke tracker holder, and go to town. I'd like to see this on the consumer level, more so for those long rides so that my wifes grandmother isn't passing a stone wondering why I'm still out 6 hours later on a 100 mile bike ride. But then would that be competing with the DeLorme Spot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how its functionality compares with Garmin's GTU 10:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 1.34" x 3.07" x 0.79" (3.4 x 7.8 x 2.0 cm)

Looks a little bigger, but you can purchase it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how does this work when you non-existent cell phone coverage for a good chunk of the stretch from the backside of Richters to the top of Yellow Lake?

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the smallest solution, but I use the RunMeter app on my iPhone, which is a GPS program for tracking my runs (they also make a bike version. I don't know what's different on it). One of the features is I can email my info to anyone at preset time or distance markers.

Wife likes it since if I am doing a long solo workout, she knows where to tell searchers to look for my body if I don't come home.

For an upcoming marathon, I will have the email set for every mile, so she knows where to see me on the course and when to expect me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris_mac wrote:
faq's...
http://www.myathletelive.com/faqs/

the unit measures approximaley 2" tall x 1" wide x 1/2" deep
wear it on you race number belt and you'll never notice it.

I wore it at IMTX. Worked like a champ for friends and family that wanted to track me. Worked so well that my father ran his cell phone battery dead and he was right there at the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap alternative is to call your cell phone provider to see if they have a GPS tracking service on your cell phone. Sprint does, Verizon does, T-Mobile does. Just pay a one-month fee to activate it (~10 or 15 bucks). Throw cell in baggy and stuff into jersey pocket on the bike/run. Family could track on smartphone or laptop.

Downside is that it did not record track history, so they kinda had to know the course in order to figure out where I was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spot tracker is used by long distance swimmers a lot. It's a little bigger and has an emergency beacon function.

They have them at rei, $99 for the unit and I think $99 for a year of service with a website.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, lots of good ideas!

With My Athlete Live, to get the one day charge, you have to have it shipped to your hotel. I'm staying at the Sunbird for IM Fl, I'm not sure that they could receive packages there. That puts a bit of a crimp in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told about an app for Iphones called pele which is supposed to be one of the better ones. From what I saw of the App, it was pretty nice. They were able to add my name for wisconsin a week ago. That is the link for it, costs 2.99

http://itunes.apple.com/...ele/id390572860?mt=8
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [ISUtriathlete23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ISUtriathlete23 wrote:
I was told about an app for Iphones called pele which is supposed to be one of the better ones. From what I saw of the App, it was pretty nice. They were able to add my name for wisconsin a week ago. That is the link for it, costs 2.99http://itunes.apple.com/...ele/id390572860?mt=8[/quote[/url]]

As I understand the rules, it is a violation to have a phone with you on an IM course, whether or not you ever talk on it. [#ff0080]But, I suppose if it is properly hidden, no official would ever know.[/#ff0080]
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
I was told about an app for Iphones called pele which is supposed to be one of the better ones. From what I saw of the App, it was pretty nice. They were able to add my name for wisconsin a week ago. That is the link for it, costs 2.99http://itunes.apple.com/...ele/id390572860?mt=8-

As I understand the rules, it is a violation to have a phone with you on an IM course, whether or not you ever talk on it. But, I suppose if it is properly hidden, no official would ever know.

There's actually some potential debate there on that last point. It depends on whether or not WTC chooses to abide by USAT rulings in that scenario - or their own variant of it.

Reason being that I actually have an e-mail from the head USAT Ref (forwarded to me) stating that this year one can take a cell phone with them on a course but cannot make any forward progress if a call is made, however it can remain in tracking mode.

However, for the life of me I can't get Charlie to respond to any e-mail to get this formalized a bit more.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Last edited by: dcrainmaker: Sep 12, 11 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Wow, lots of good ideas!

With My Athlete Live, to get the one day charge, you have to have it shipped to your hotel. I'm staying at the Sunbird for IM Fl, I'm not sure that they could receive packages there. That puts a bit of a crimp in it.

Last year for IMFL I had mine sent to Shore of Panama which is next door to the Sunbird..no issue at all. It helps if you have the label have your unit number and your cell phone. I let the front desk know I was expecting a package and gave them my cell number.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea! Shore of Panama doesn't mind, if you aren't staying with them?
Quote Reply

Prev Next