Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Track bike recommendations
Quote | Reply
I've been racing track for the past couple years and I'm looking to upgrade my bike between seasons. I'm mainly looking at framesets (unless its a screaming deal on a whole bike, I don't need more components and wheels sitting around than I already have).

Budget is about 2-2.5k. The current leading candidates are the fuji elite and dixie flyer. Most of the other framesets I've looked at are ~4k.

I'm mostly an endurance racer/pursuiter (points, pursuits, scratch are my preferred events). I've never gotten into a sprint that I could avoid.

In any case, just curious if there are any suggestions out there. I've got six months or so to buy this so I'm not in any particular rush.

Racing track has been pretty fun!

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Track bike recommendations [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was to return to racing on the track, the Cervelo T4 looks very interesting - ridden to gold medals this Olympics and used in several recent hour record attempts.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/track/t-series/t4
Quote Reply
Re: Track bike recommendations [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you see a T4 in his budget sign me up as well ;)

The Fuji looks pretty solid at the price point... I haven't seen any data on it, but it looks fairly slippery.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Track bike recommendations [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not look at price - damn that bike is pricey / but you can sometimes get lucky finding a slightly used frame for much less if you keep your eyes peeled!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3 or T4. Argon 18 Electron Pro is a good shout for your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike are you currently racing - make and size? How does it fit? How often do you change your gearing? David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at purchasing a used bike? In that price range you can get a felt TK1 for example...

Geometry would be the first thing to look at, then frame material.

Personally have lots of experience with track racing and have done custom as well as standard offering from multiple manufacturers. The TK1 is the best I have ridden without question.

Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
What bike are you currently racing - make and size?
54 cm Fuji track pro (unsure what year, its secondhand and anodized)
How does it fit?
Well enough, my track fit/position is less meticulous than road, haven't had any problems though
How often do you change your gearing?
Rarely, I tend to use a 91.8" gear for everything. Although I have cogs/rings spanning 84-97 or so David K

Added a Dolan DF4 and Argon 18 Electron pro to the list I'm considering. The former comes in 53/55 frame sizes, will need to see which of those I'd want.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked about changing gearing often because you can convert a Cervelo P2 or P3 tri bike to track use. The only drawback is that you will likely need a separate chain for each gear combination due to the very short rear facing drop outs.

I know nothing about the Dixie Flyer. Looks like a generic Chinese frame.

Some tracks may favor one geometry over another. You might risk looking like all the rest but it could not hurt to look into what frames the fastest guys at your track are using.

Good luck.

David K
Quote Reply