Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers
Quote | Reply
Don't think we'll need a daily thread for this race....one big one should suffice.

I missed it, but it sounds like Taylor Phinney just misses winning his comeback race. Super-impressive.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.. solo bridges to Howes, Reijnnen, and 2 original break guys and just drills on the front to keep it away. leads out and still holds for third. Dude is back!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm SO happy for him. And proud of him. This is fantastic. Now I think we can expect a whole lot more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Don't think we'll need a daily thread for this race....one big one should suffice.

I missed it, but it sounds like Taylor Phinney just misses winning his comeback race. Super-impressive.

Yep. Phinney bridged across on the final circuit. Was 3rd in a 4 man sprint. Kiel Rynan of UHC got it.
Nice to see Phinney back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did Tommy D fair? Oh wait, never mind.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I like Phil Gaimon, I wonder what he was thinking by trying to get away in the final circuit today. If he has GC aspirations, he may wish that powder was still dry when he gets into the mountains with Joe D and Rider 15, America's Most Popular Rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsh3hnqnUQ

did anybody notice this yesterday on stage 6? If you look carefully you'll see this MTN rider come down that hill SOOOO fast then he slams his brakes too hard, skids, wobbles then bam right into the side of the support car. I hope it wasn't because of a mechanical like his rear wheel coming loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
While I like Phil Gaimon, I wonder what he was thinking by trying to get away in the final circuit today. If he has GC aspirations, he may wish that powder was still dry when he gets into the mountains with Joe D and Rider 15, America's Most Popular Rider.

Good point McNulty.

Joe really smashed it yesterday. Ben King did some great work for him as well. I think Phil got popped off at Guardsman. Tommy D was no help to Joe AT ALL.

Rider 15 says its not over and I agree. Two stiff climbs today and Joe has to stay in and stay safe. Woods is super dangerous. Joe will get attacked from the get go. But I hope he attacks Horner, just because.

What do you think, McNulty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, dude. You're brilliant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Horner. I'd like to see him get on whatever good dope he had for the Vuelta and just crush everyone. But not today.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that was Matt brammeir. I only read the news about didn't realize there was a video. Pretty nasty. He fractured several ribs, pneumo thorax ( puncture lung probably from rib) and fractured pelvis and sacrum. His season is done
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez! That sounds like misery... I don't want to imagine. For sure he is out for the season, hopefully he can recover quick and start riding again soon. I really want to know why he came into that bend so out of control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man today was kind of a letdown, I expected some huge fireworks on the last climb but nothing happened at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two views. Seems he thought he had fast sweepers and was caught way off guard with a tight switchback. Lots of folks take terrible lines through the switchback, surely because the prior turn was a fast sweeper, but Matt just isn't even close. Frankly he was heading into the forest at high speed if he didn't hit that car, and the side of a car has way more give than a tree. He's lucky. This easily could have been a fatality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgyMkVwS24
https://www.facebook.com/...os/10153747811388676
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I feel that car saved his life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O_O OUCH what a mess. That one hurt to watch not only because of those crashes but because of such bad riding. That was some of the worse technical descending I have witnessed. I haven't seen so many riders in a professional event take such terrible lines through a turn. He is seriously lucky to be alive and yeah that car indeed saved his life otherwise he would be a tree ornament.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying you're wrong and that there were not plenty of displays of poor technical descending there, but what you've got is a very wide road (2 lanes + 2 big shoulders) closed to traffic and a very steep descent. The wide, closed road enables riders to get huge speed on the fast sweepers as they've got nice apexes to use. Then it gets 20 percent steep and a full 180 switchback is thrown in. And, you've got people caught off guard and carrying way too much speed into it. Pro or not, you can see how it happens. If I were a spectator, I know where not to stand next year. Death by out of control cyclist is a real possibility on that bend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously....WTF is wrong with people, especially that fat fook in the orange jersey? "Damn that dude crashed hard....lemme move a little closer and take some pics / video." Racer could well have died and the only thing that asshat is worried about is getting the shot.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah no doubt it gets quite deceiving sometimes but they still should've been prepared for it. I'm guessing nobody test rode the course before the event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Yeah no doubt it gets quite deceiving sometimes but they still should've been prepared for it. I'm guessing nobody test rode the course before the event?

The guy from Australia on the team from South Africa? Doubtful.

But, even so, that descent is totally different on race day than it would be in training. In training the road is open so you've got to descend in your lane, which will force much slower speeds around the bends. During the race you've got both lanes to use on the tangents and can thus take the turns much faster. Sure, knowing when the switchbacks are coming is helpful, but in training that turn might not have been noteworthy because he'd have taken the prior turn at 30 rather than 50.

Moving on:
  1. what about Mike Woods's crash 300 meters from the finish? The commentators said the painted line caused it, but it didn't. He clearly had locked up his wheels before crossing over the line. He caused the crash and he impacted no one else; he should not have benefited from being inside of 3km on that. He should have lost his podium because of it, but they gave him same time and held on to the podium
  2. as far as someone stating the final climb was boring. I think the early grades killed the guys who needed to be attacking JoeDo, and JoeDo made it pretty apparent that he was not in any kind of difficulty. By backing off the attacks and tempo on the 2nd half of the climb, this gave Brookwalter 2nd place on the podium, as the 20 seconds he got on the descent jumped him from 6th to 2nd. Had those guys been riding harder tempo (if they had it in them after failing to shed JoeDo in the 1st half), Brookwalter was dropped from that group, as was Horner who also got back on before the summit. I also like to think that this kind of "boring" riding is what clean riding looks like. Guys get toasted on the massive, epic climbs and don't have it in them to attack repeatedly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, that car could have saved his life. Many of the riders seemed thrown off by that turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
masa757 wrote:
I also like to think that this kind of "boring" riding is what clean riding looks like. Guys get toasted on the massive, epic climbs and don't have it in them to attack repeatedly.

I agree! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one of the most sickening crashes I've ever seen.

From what you can see in the video, he was coming in way too fast.

I don't think it's a case of 'just taking a little too much risk', because it's not like he juuuust slid out or slightly overcooked it. He was dead-set flying straight through the turn. I would think that it would take quite a deceptive view of the approach or some kind of distraction to cause a pro rider to misjudge that badly.

My sympathies to the guy. Just awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Utah Thread - Spoilers [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's horrific. And, I don't know how he explains it, because he wasn't even close.

Look at the facebook video when he comes around the prior turn around 0:13. He's taking a totally different, and faster, line through that turn than everyone else. The others are more or less following the double yellow while he's bombing the apex. Look at these two screenshots. He is finishing the prior turn, all the way over on the far shoulder, when he should be fully on the other side of the road starting a good line into the switchback. You can't get it more wrong. That is one dangerous turn; I wonder if there was any kind of caution or warning signage above.

Finishing prior turn where he should be on other side of road starting next turn:

Compare that to these guys:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsh3hnqnUQ

did anybody notice this yesterday on stage 6? If you look carefully you'll see this MTN rider come down that hill SOOOO fast then he slams his brakes too hard, skids, wobbles then bam right into the side of the support car. I hope it wasn't because of a mechanical like his rear wheel coming loose.

Ran across this view of it a few minutes ago. This also caused another crash shortly afterward, guys were overcooking this corner big time! He definitely would have ended up in the woods which probably would have ended worse.
Last edited by: trifreemc: Aug 10, 15 10:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next