Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017
Quote | Reply
Can I do the Tour on Trainer Road? If not, is the Sufferlandria app any better than TR?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [PanamaRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do the Sufferlandria rides with TR; but you don't get to watch the Sufferfest videos. Last year, when they announced the ToS course, there was a new video that wasn't on TR yet, but by February it was added, this may be the case again this year. In my opinion, the rides are too hard to be watching anything anyways, I just put on some heavy music and suffer. That said, I believe there is a charity fundraising aspect to the tour and prizes awarded to those who participate via Sufferfest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that some of the rides this year will be available on their platform only (not on TR). I think they're announcing the line up next month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think odds are decent that some of the videos won't be in TR.
They do offer a free one week trial if you haven't done that already.
It's really on the honor system anyways. If you register and donate; it's just a drawing for prizes.
Announcement of "route" is 01/04/17

Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In every previous ToS, they've included several of their newest rides in the schedule (which is not unreasonable, for what is really a corporate awareness charity event.) Given that this year most of their new content is in-app subscription only I expect that means there'll be several Sufferfest subscriber-only rides.

I don't subscribe personally because I liked TR/Sufferfest for what it was, and Zwift as something completely different. Also their content quality and production values seemed to peak around TINT, but maybe it was my enthusiasm for TheSufferfest that peaked then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed wrote:
Can I do the Tour on Trainer Road? If not, is the Sufferlandria app any better than TR?

You can still do ToS rides on our desktop apps! But the SF doesn't allow TrainerRoad to host the ToS on TrainerRoad anymore.

Like several have mentioned, there may be a ride or two we don't have if they're new rides that've been created since the SF has been app-only. :)

Hope this helps — Happy Training (and Holidays) ya'll!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did most of the ToS by TR, but some came from videos. We'll need to wait for the final ToS lineup to figure out where the possibilities are. If you look around, there are SF workouts available for Zwift - but I have found these to be pretty substandard. But now that Zwift has a new workout generator, there may be some industrious folks willing to translate the SF rides to Zwift workouts.

Really, and off topic, I do wonder about how TR, SF and others will maintain their 'proprietary' workouts, now that there are plenty of ways of translate among platforms. Now, I love TR, used them last winter and my current bike fitness *needs* TR. But the TR programs are pretty easily transferred to other FE-C platforms. The same is true for SF - there is a real value to the entertainment portion of SF, but if you wan to do ToS, I'm guessing that the SF rides will be available on Zwift... This interconnectedness makes life tough for SF (but they have the *entertainment* factor) and TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the 2017 ToS is announced.

04-Feb-17 Sa 1 55 igniter + long scream
05-Feb-17 Su 2 110 the way out + power station
06-Feb-17 M 3 50 omnium
07-Feb-17 T 4 56 angels
08-Feb-17 W 5 55 nine hammers
09-Feb-17 R 6 60 there is no try
10-Feb-17 F 7 75 hell hath no fury
11-Feb-17 Sa 8 130 revolver + revolver is easy + half is easy
12-Feb-17 Su 9 60 it seemed like thin air

The format above is date, day of the week, ToS stage number, minutes, video names. As predicted - and totally reasonable - most of these are new(ish) and available on Sufferfest by the new app only (not a downloadable video - although some were previously available on video). I plan to subscribe to the SF app (7 day free trial to make sure my hardware is supported, then a month at $10) to do the ToS, but I'm interested in knowing how many of these are available in Trainerroad and Zwift. I've been interested in checking out the new SF app, anyway, so this is a good opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 7 stages in and it hurts.
The multiple video days have custom Mashup videos in the app so no pausing needed on those days.
The new videos are not in TrainerRoad. For those stages I ran TR with a free ride workout of appropriate length.
I feel like DCRAINMAKER on this - I have Sufferfest on a computer, trainerroad on my phone and my garmin to get it into garmin connect and another site that is very picky about the types of files it takes.

Two really hard stages to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 stages in with #7 scheduled for this afternoon. This year's seems harder than last year. I have not yet compared the TSS between years, but plan to. Great way to jumpstart new season fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at Stage 6 with 7 lined up for this evening. Are anyone else's quads hurting from all the low cadence work? I am hobbling around work badly enough that people are asking if I'm ok :(

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
I'm at Stage 6 with 7 lined up for this evening. Are anyone else's quads hurting from all the low cadence work? I am hobbling around work badly enough that people are asking if I'm ok :(

rich

yeah I'm not used to this much power every single day. What made things even worse is that on day 3 I clicked on day 7 by mistake, and only realized after the fact, once my ride was uploaded to strava. So I had to do an extra stage on day 3, and now on stage 7 I have to do it again! Legs are like lead...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
This year's seems harder than last year.

I did not do last year's but I cannot fathom anything in the world worse than Revolver + Revolver.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
giorgitd wrote:
This year's seems harder than last year.

I did not do last year's but I cannot fathom anything in the world worse than Revolver + Revolver.

Have you seen this year's Stage 8?
It's Revolver + Revolver Is Easy + Half Is Easy

It's essentially 3 Revolvers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Have you seen this year's Stage 8?
It's Revolver + Revolver Is Easy + Half Is Easy

It's essentially 3 Revolvers

I did that one a couple weeks back. It's more draining mentally than physically. I think the last stage is going to be the real muther-effer though.

The Long Scream and HHNF are the two hardest for me. I set a new FTP on the first 20-minute segment of HHNF today.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, can't fathom it. Revolver alone is enough to crush me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandria 4 Feb 2017 [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We must have the same power profile. Long Scream killed me and I knew that HHNF would be awful. The 1st 20 min piece was hard, but done at 100% (I also set an new FTP, but not by much). Paid the price on the 2nd 20 min piece - the early intensity slayed me and I struggled through. Was able to rally and hit the power targets in the finale. I c.a.n n.o.t i.m.a.g.i.n.e. Stage 8. I should self massage, refuel, recover and get a full night's sleep. But I'm having a drink and planning dinner instead...
Last edited by: giorgitd: Feb 10, 17 16:43
Quote Reply