Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 Thread
Quote | Reply
The ToS start date is ominously approaching- Jan 24. Who's in?

My first attempt at this bad boy. Expecting a big dose of nasty.

edit for spelling
Last edited by: kkoole: Jan 28, 15 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wife and I are in. My 3rd time. Her 1st.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are also going to give it a try. First time for both of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well for my 2nd year. Hoping to maximize the 50 hour time windows to get through it!

I will start at 100% in Trainer Road but not sure how many days that will be doable...better go sandbag an FTP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my third year. Just did an FTP test this morning and went up quite a bit. Plan to do 100%, but this is gonna hurt... Good luck and have fun!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Doing some recon today. I'm going the Roku channel route and I'm finishing downloading the 2 rides that aren't available on there now.

Checked out some of the stages on TrainerRoad... Good heavens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. First go at it. I'll be finishing TR Sweet Spot Base Low Volume Week 6 this week and jumping right into the ToS at 100%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this (convinced my coach to let me do this) two years ago. It was a lot of fun, and somehow very motivating.

Afterwards he commented that it was good to be motivated in the winter months but that it was racing not training, and not the best use of the time. (I did continue other sports at the same time.) Does anyone have any views on this?

Something to note is that in those days sufferfest videos were a lot of Rule V machismo, while I believe that the recent ones are more sustainable training. And ToS obviously uses the more recent videos to make everyone buy them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son and I are in. My second year, his first. I did it all at 95% FTP on TR last year and plan on doing the same this year. Stage 8 Revolver+HIE+Violator will need to be lowered a little more. Better to have a fresh FTP and lower the intensity than sandbag FTP and claim 100% imo. Also better to lower intensity and hit power targets throughout the workout than fall way off target in the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [bdungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone completed this on 100% FTP all the way through? Stage 8 looks horrific. I find revolver on it's own is enough to ruin me.

I have to decide whether to do this or the trainer road traditional base 3...

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
Has anyone completed this on 100% FTP all the way through? Stage 8 looks horrific. I find revolver on it's own is enough to ruin me.

I have to decide whether to do this or the trainer road traditional base 3...

I did 100% last year, wasn't that bad. I do think stage 8 is a tad harder than any stage last year. However these three videos do not translate well to FTP (Revolver a little more, but the other two not so much). It might be easier than it looks.

I won't be doing it at 100% though this year. I'm at the end of marathon training, and there is no way I'm cramming 100% ToS + high run mileage. I'll start at 95% on Friday (Saturday in Kiribati!) and see how it goes from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm giving it a shot for the first time this year. Hoping to make it through the whole thing at 100%

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year, I did it all at 100% except stage 7 which was Sufferfest Angels and Sufferfest The Hunted. I think I lowered it to 90-95%.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Last year, I did it all at 100% except stage 7 which was Sufferfest Angels and Sufferfest The Hunted. I think I lowered it to 90-95%.
I did all of them at 100% except for Stage 7 as well. I didn't have to worry about lowering the % though. My body did a good enough job lowering my effort for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it for the first time. Using the FTP that my Coach gave me. I'll deff. give it a go at 100% but I still have to run and stuff.

2015 Season: American TTT
Ironman Louisville.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those 1st timers (like myself), this is pretty interesting....

http://packfiller.com/...ith-david-mcquillen/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Unfortunately in having some hip issues and am supposed to be focusing on running so I will probably go with 90%. Like someone else said, it's better to drop the percentage than lower your FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HH wrote:

Afterwards he commented that it was good to be motivated in the winter months but that it was racing not training, and not the best use of the time. (I did continue other sports at the same time.) Does anyone have any views on this?

I am debating this as well... in the middle of Sweet Spot Base I on TR along with running/swimming and I think this would completely wreck me. I might compare the TSS of my base plan to the ToS and adjust accordingly, though something tells me that I might have to dial down the intensity a bit too much on the harder days.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
HH wrote:

I am debating this as well... in the middle of Sweet Spot Base I on TR along with running/swimming and I think this would completely wreck me. I might compare the TSS of my base plan to the ToS and adjust accordingly, though something tells me that I might have to dial down the intensity a bit too much on the harder days.

If you aren't near that TSS volume then of course it is going to wreck you. There is no one holding a big chain ring to anyone's head and making them do it at 100%. Do what you can, have fun with it, and don't get hurt. No one is going to care whether you did it at 100% or 90%. TR certainly doesn't care. Ride smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. FTP test this Wednesday or Thursday. 100% last year, planning on 100% this year too. The last two days will be challenging.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice and I'm going to dial it down to conform to my plan. I'm probably nitpicking but just wanted to make sure it "counts" so I can get a badge. Not logical at all, but hey neither is the ToS. If I turn down the intensity to 62% on the 8th stage don't want to be disqualified per their rules below...

"Produce an effort that conforms to the shape of the workout. You may (if you are weak) turn down the workout intensity as The Tour progresses. But if you make it too easy, well, you're not gonna get a prize for that now are you? Although no Sufferlandrian would even think about it, if you, for example, just sit in at 30 watts you won't be eligible to win a prize. The Minions are watching you and The Sufferfest and Trainer Road Tour of Sufferlandria Executive Department of Making Sure Suffering Occurs will reserve judgement of who to include and not. (Having said this, totally destroying yourself on a particular day is not going to get you more chances to win a prize - get through The Tour sensibly.)"

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Broken part from WAHOO arrived this morning and the KICKR is back up and running and ready to dish out the hurt. The added "bonus" of a broken KICKR since last Wednesday meant I had relatively fresh legs today so I whipped out a FTP re-test just so everything is up to snuff (i broke my own rule after saying not to do this exact thing).
I dont know whether to be happy or extremely scared. On the positive side FTP jumped from 296 to 312. On the negative side i've now gotta do the ToS at 312.....

Let the minion lashings begin!

Good luck everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone who has done this before, how do your legs hold up during it? I will potentially have a trial for a football (soccer) team on the stage 7 Friday and could do with being able to run. It looks like it would come close to doubling my current weekly TSS if I did it at 100%

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Sufferlandia 2015 Thread [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly the weekly TSS isn't that big a deal. Other than occasional bumps over 100 (day 2 - Blender), you're not going to be trashed if you are coming in with decent fitness. I *am* taking an extra rest day prior, however. :)

The biggest drag I see is finishing with ISLIGIATT. That is one boring, mind-numbing workout on a good day, much less to finish the 9th day. I predict a lot of sub-threshold "phone it in" power files for that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you do 90%+ all of the days and then dial it down to 70% on the hardest day (state 8) it would fall under the "ride sensibly" part of that wording. IDK, if they decided to kick me out for that then so be it. Personally, I love pain, but I am not going to destroy myself to have a shot at a lottery for prizes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next