Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB
Quote | Reply
I just committed to a crazy week-long mountain biking trip from Colorado to Utah with a couple of friends in August. The transaction is complete.
But before making travel arrangements, I can't help being tempted by the two Toughman half iron events (Utah and New Mexico) within a reasonable distance from where we'll be a day or two after we finish.

My judgment is totally warped right now... signing up for one of these half iron events seems like a pretty awesome thing to do, but it could easily be an incredibly dumb, expensive and logistically challenging idea (e.g. shipping two bikes back and forth from Boston).

I've never done anything remotely close to the daily 30-40 miles of mountain biking we're planning to do for a whole week. I have no idea how exhausted or banged up I'm going to get. I could get bitten by a rattlesnake, contract the hanta virus and/or get roasted alive from the heat. On the other hand, I could end up in amazing shape when I'm through, and I'll have that week to acclimate to the altitude and the heat before the race. It's probably worth mentioning that I'm also training for IM Maryland in October and was looking to add a half iron that gives me enough time to recover (my goal for the IM is modest: to complete without too much walking on the run). My friend who organized the trip is open to the idea of adding the Toughman too. Timing wise, it seems to make perfect sense.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? Great idea or instant regret?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [busynizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Utah toughman is a pretty easy course. It is totally flat on the bike and run. I say go for it. What's another 5 hours or so of suffering added to the MTB trip?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this idea is growing on me. 30-40 miles of mountain biking spread out over the course of a whole day with nothing else to do all day might not be as draining as I think. currently leaning toward the New Mexican Toughman right now because it will allow for an extra day of rest and would be easier to get to. plus it's in a state I've never been to yet. but it looks like the NM race is anything but flat! The Utah race would be great too since I wouldn't have to take off another day from work. It's great having options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it! Better yet - go for the Toughman Utah/New Mexico double! :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and we're ON for Toughman New Mexico! my buddy and I just signed up today.
what a fantastic deal for a half-iron at $155 too (there are some Boston-area sprints that cost nearly that much)!
this is going to be an awesome trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for my first 1/2. I'm doing the NM Toughman. Have any of you run the route or ridden the bike route?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [cazador1022] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cazador1022 wrote:
I'm signed up for my first 1/2. I'm doing the NM Toughman. Have any of you run the route or ridden the bike route?

I hope your dental insurance is good. Last time I rode those roads they were a bit rough.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [fredclausen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh oh. how recent was that? well, at least I'll have my full suspension mountain bike with me. I can't imagine them being that much worse than here in Massachusetts after the rough winter. if it's not the potholes, it's the layer of sand still on the side of the roads.

do you recall how steep were the climbs/descents?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by johnald [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
busynizzy wrote:
uh oh. how recent was that? well, at least I'll have my full suspension mountain bike with me. I can't imagine them being that much worse than here in Massachusetts after the rough winter. if it's not the potholes, it's the layer of sand still on the side of the roads.

do you recall how steep were the climbs/descents?

It's been a while but i did the 505 Triathlon that mirrors this course (I think tough man bought the race and made it longer) and unless the roads have been repaved it was very rough. No potholes but chip seal (I think that's the right term) for days.

The only real 'mother' is climbing out of transition. Thankfully that isn't too long. The climb back up to the lake was something to note but not terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [fredclausen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steepest climb out of transition I have ever seen. I bet that boat ramp is 14-15%, but luckily its only for about 200 yards or so. When driving down there is a moment at the very top where it is steep enough to disappear in front of your car before you go over the lip. Make sure you are geared properly or you will walk it.

The worst part a few years ago in the Cochiti Lake Tri was the chip seal on the road that went across the dam, but I don't think they are using that road for Toughman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on where you plan to mountain bike, and where your coming from and how good a mountain biker you are (think efficient climber).

30-40 closer to Denver and the Front Range no problem. 30-40 in my neck of the woods (Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride), more difficult.

busynizzy wrote:
this idea is growing on me. 30-40 miles of mountain biking spread out over the course of a whole day with nothing else to do all day might not be as draining as I think. currently leaning toward the New Mexican Toughman right now because it will allow for an extra day of rest and would be easier to get to. plus it's in a state I've never been to yet. but it looks like the NM race is anything but flat! The Utah race would be great too since I wouldn't have to take off another day from work. It's great having options.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Utah or New Mexico after a week of MTB [cazador1022] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Athlete Guide" tab on their webpage has some pretty good maps with elevation profiles. The 1st climb from transition will get your heart rate up. I've never been on the last 4-5 miles of road that take you out to the 2nd turnaround on the bike route so I'll check that out on Saturday. The rest of the roads are chip seal, but the last time I was there (two years ago) they were reasonably smooth. Should be a fun race!

http://toughmannm.com/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply