Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torque offset of Powertap reading abnormally high after getting wet
Quote | Reply
I have a wired PT wheel I bought in 2006; has worked great (been through two rims plus a bearing rebuild) but last winter it began to act weird in damp weather with abnormally high readings.

I let it sit for months & use another PT I had; put it on my rain bike and gave it a test run in dry weather; ran it in test mode & torque values came back at 515.

Yesterday though I ran it in very heavy rain. Within about 25min the watt values went through the roof.

I zero'd the torque this morning as it sat on the trainer and it was 498w above 0. :)

I know these things are going to be extinct soon as the early gen hubs have no upgrade path and it would seem a shame to retire it; I think it's fine as long as it is dry out or a trainer.

Any ideas here about what is happening?
Quote Reply
Re: Torque offset of Powertap reading abnormally high after getting wet [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juha-pdx wrote:
I have a wired PT wheel I bought in 2006; has worked great (been through two rims plus a bearing rebuild) but last winter it began to act weird in damp weather with abnormally high readings.

I let it sit for months & use another PT I had; put it on my rain bike and gave it a test run in dry weather; ran it in test mode & torque values came back at 515.

Yesterday though I ran it in very heavy rain. Within about 25min the watt values went through the roof.

I zero'd the torque this morning as it sat on the trainer and it was 498w above 0. :)

I know these things are going to be extinct soon as the early gen hubs have no upgrade path and it would seem a shame to retire it; I think it's fine as long as it is dry out or a trainer.

Any ideas here about what is happening?

My wired units had issues when the contact points on the LYC got wet but it would always just drop out.

Anywho...there was (and it think still is) an upgrade path for the older hubs, I did it in Dec 2012. For $700 you can get a complete wheelset by trading yours in. It may have changed since you can get the same wheelset plus a Joule for $800 from Performance bike.com

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Torque offset of Powertap reading abnormally high after getting wet [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The LYC dropouts can be fixed using dielectric grease; that's not what I'm having an issue with.

I was getting constant, steady power readings WAY above normal.
Quote Reply