Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Toronto Tri Festival
Quote | Reply
Looking at possibly doing the Olympic Distance tri relay in Toronto July 13th. This race is governed by ITU rules, so is this draft legal? Are tt/tri bikes allowed?
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not draft legal... only Elite and Jr Elite. Time Trial bike is OK.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of WTC (not sure about Challenge) races all Triathlon Canada or provincially sanctioned races follow ITU rules with minor alterations to certain rules. ITU doesn't necessarilty mean draft legal though :)

The rules for TTF won't differ from any other race you've completed in Ontario (outside of Muskoka 70.3 and even then I think the differences are minor).

Enjoy!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at possibly doing the Olympic Distance tri relay in Toronto July 13th. This race is governed by ITU rules, so is this draft legal? Are tt/tri bikes allowed?

Triathlon Ontario (TO) will over-see here. Rules for the Age-Groupers will be no different than any other race under the jurisdiction of TO.

Because of the location ( downtown of a very large city) and the race course ( constraints and bylaws), there are a few variations, of things that are specific to this race. That's why they have the mandatory pre-race briefings.

I will be conducting most of these briefings on Saturday.

There is a race on Saturday for Elite/Pros only that is serving as the 2015 PanAm Games test event. That race will be run under the typical ITU draft-legal rules. Come on out to watch. It should be very exciting and entertaining.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm in for OLY. Should be interesting!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [¨ă] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me thinks the weather chick said that the rain would come later in the day.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a seriously good bike leg. Outside of Montreal's Esprit, it may be the fastest bike leg.

Can't race this year, but if you hear a lot of yelling that will be me.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing on Saturday. Positive yelling is always greatly appreciated!

If anyone's there come say gday!

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race yesterday...a copy of the email I just sent to the race organizers...thought I'd share with others...

Hi,

Third time doing the race - well organized, well run...finisher's medal was fine if not flashy...t-shirt made of cotton?!?! For athletes?!! Not cool in design, not functional at all. Will get put in the rag pile with the others.

I can live with the ho-hum finisher medal and cheap cotton shirt, but... the awards for the top 3 in each age group - we got a cheezy flower and a very, very cheap ribbon (the exact same thing I got in grade one) - apparently the winners also got a cheap thermos too of some kind, the woman I chatted with was also not impressed, she commented on the entry fee cost and cheapness of the awards.

The flower will be dead in days, the ribbon is so cheap its an insult and I've thrown it in the garbage as it is a negative reminder, not a positive reminder of the race. Disappointing end to an otherwise enjoyable event.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Did the race yesterday...a copy of the email I just sent to the race organizers...thought I'd share with others...

Hi,

Third time doing the race - well organized, well run...finisher's medal was fine if not flashy...t-shirt made of cotton?!?! For athletes?!! Not cool in design, not functional at all. Will get put in the rag pile with the others.

I can live with the ho-hum finisher medal and cheap cotton shirt, but... the awards for the top 3 in each age group - we got a cheezy flower and a very, very cheap ribbon (the exact same thing I got in grade one) - apparently the winners also got a cheap thermos too of some kind, the woman I chatted with was also not impressed, she commented on the entry fee cost and cheapness of the awards.

The flower will be dead in days, the ribbon is so cheap its an insult and I've thrown it in the garbage as it is a negative reminder, not a positive reminder of the race. Disappointing end to an otherwise enjoyable event.

Congrats on a great race!! I don't want to poke the hornets nest but the high fees are absolutely as a result of putting on a triathlon IN Toronto and getting to use a major highway as part of the bike course. I have no inside knowledge of the costs associated with this type of event but knowing Toronto they are HIGH.....in the neighbourhood of stupid high.
If they were smart they would go to a well known local Toronto business and make a deal with them for some cool awards. But really, are you there for the awards? :)
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a volunteer, this year, at the TTF it's difficult to see the problems or complaints in the same light.
This is a phenomenal race in the middle of a major city, the cost to put it on must be horrendous. No one's getting rich here.
But they not only put it, on they did it in style. Even with the absolutely awfull weather, it went of with enthusiasm.

The flowers were an imaginative touch. That harkened back to Olympic ideals.
I have watched lots of podium presentations, this was graceful addition.
(even stood on a couple, when my AG was short of people)
Give me a thermos anyday, my winners socks wore out long ago.

Finishers medal. Have to admit mine never makes it (on my neck) beyond transition.
When my kids were small, even they were embarrassed wearing those silly things.
They get thrown in a box when I get home and when my wife has had enough, they get recycled.
Time to stop that nonsense.

Cotton T shirts. Thought they were actually quite elegant and could be worn not just as workout clothing. For a change.
I must have thirty or forty shirts, so many I had started getting them in different sizes so my wife could use them for her workouts.
Some I would never wear, like most IM or ITU shirts, because they are just downright embarrassing. Spandex with your name on them stuff.
(actually one of my kids works out in my IMC shirt, I did get a couple of hats over the years, but you have to pay several hundred bucks to get a free hat ).

The food ? a real Hamburger as a well as a beer, coffee, yogurt and the usual stuff at the finish line. (ok there was a long line)

And how often do you see Simon Whitfield acting as a guide runner, mind you he has chubbed up a bit.
Nice guy, you have to clap for that sort of person.

It was worth every penny I paid (scratched) and the five hours standing in that weather to see that race go off.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Too bad you had a different day.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though the race was great as well. Free burger, free coffee, yogurt, massage, medal! I placed in my AG, but did not stay for awards - it started pouring like crazy, and I bailed. If I did: nothing wrong with flowers. nothing. Thanks to the volunteers bracing the torrid weather. And BTW, that swim was COLD!!!
Last edited by: ¨ă: Jul 14, 14 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you reached out the event management.

Why that was - I really have no idea. I do know that, the folks that are Age-Group podium placers represent a very small percentage of the race field. On the whole in terms of what IS on offer to EVERYONE who races at the TTF - from the course, to all the many freebies afterwards, they do a great job. Taken as a total package, I believe what they offer is impressive.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Volunteers are outstanding and the post-race food is great. I liked my flower too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree! This ribbon was a complete joke! Someone clearly got them at the dollar store in a 100 per package.

Front door brag here but I won the sprint race and really though what they gave out was pathetic! Ribbon that will be in the garbage, flower that is only useful if there is a hot girl around, pathetic water bottle and a tiny bottle of sparkling wine that no human is fit to drink.

This was my 2nd year doing the race and it will be very likely be my last. Every other race around here gives out much better stuff. I will take the beer stein from the subaru series any day!

Please someone explain the scenery appeal of races to me? This was my 10th race and I have to say I have never been looking at any scenery. I have been starring at the road in front of me and focussing on going hard in the race. Am I doing it wrong? The only real appeal of this race is that I live a couple minutes away.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've done 10 races and you're still complaining about what you got for doing the race and winning the sprint? I thought that wore off after 4 or 5 races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrcanuck wrote:
I completely agree! This ribbon was a complete joke! Someone clearly got them at the dollar store in a 100 per package.

Front door brag here but I won the sprint race and really though what they gave out was pathetic! Ribbon that will be in the garbage, flower that is only useful if there is a hot girl around, pathetic water bottle and a tiny bottle of sparkling wine that no human is fit to drink.

This was my 2nd year doing the race and it will be very likely be my last. Every other race around here gives out much better stuff. I will take the beer stein from the subaru series any day!

Please someone explain the scenery appeal of races to me? This was my 10th race and I have to say I have never been looking at any scenery. I have been starring at the road in front of me and focussing on going hard in the race. Am I doing it wrong? The only real appeal of this race is that I live a couple minutes away.

Did you thank your coach on your blog for guiding you to your win?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrcanuck wrote:

I wonder if Olympic medalists think the same thing. "Damn all I got was this medal and some crappy flowers!"
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love a commemorative medal that said what race and place I finished.

As for a red ribbon that says award and a 1 on it, I will pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto Tri Festival [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still complaining? Have you ever heard me complain before? Please get your facts straight before you post!

Anyway I never needed to complain because every other race I placed in, I got something worth keeping.

I guess you were the slow rider staring and enjoying the scenery as you swerved and nearly took me out when I blew by you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got me. I did the race and didnt get anything. Thought they did a great job running it though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the wonderful thing about this world, everyone is open to have their own opinion.

Only a special few decide to attack others based on said opinion though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on winning the sprint race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Was that supposed to be in pink?
Quote Reply

Prev Next