Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn calf muscle - expected recovery time?
Quote | Reply
Tore a calf muscle (on my right, stronger leg) while hiking and am in a boot for about 2-3 more weeks. Then I start PT. Good news is that achilles is not damaged, but am hearing all kinds of horror stories about recovery timelines. Curious to hear from others about recovery process and timelines. Am hoping to start training for DC marathon (March 2015) come mid-October. Realistic? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle - expected recovery time? [The Kraut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how quick can they deliver a wheelchair?

just kiddin, the standard estimate on a calf tear is 6-8 weeks, but as a physio I hardly saw any last that long - therefore mid october start isnt a prob for a fit guy - I would be more worried that you tore one hiking - whats up with that? - either your leg is too long or your sacro iliac is too tight or.... maybe look at buying a grid roller or do more stretching....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tor mine December 29 (on my birthday of all days!). Probably grade 2 tear.

I was back at rull running after 7 weeks I think but already after 4 weeks I could start to run gently and build up. Biked and swam from day 0.

After the 4 weeks of and 3 weeks of light running I ran better than before the injury and my bike got a tick up too...forced recovery can be good sometimes.

Be careful though, it is not something you want to rush as far as I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the muscle or myo-fascia that tore? A true calf muscle should produce visible discoloration and other. The myofascia tear will likely produce no discoloration but will be painful.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle - expected recovery time? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a partially tear a few years ago. I think it was about 8 weeks of PT before I could start running again.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle - expected recovery time? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I had underestimated this a bit ... I'm not quite sure how it happened, because I don't recall a singular 'ouch' moment. Maybe I strained it on the hike and did further damage when I returned and jumped right back into things...

My ortho didn't do an MRI because he said the initial treatment would be the same regardless of whether it's torn or severely strained. I will have worn the boot for 2 weeks when I go back to see him for further evaluation at which point he'll see whether he wants an MRI done. There was no major discoloration, but massive swelling and pain (stairs in particular). I'm not swimming or running right now, but light cycling is thankfully doable. Oh, and sit-ups, lots of sit-ups...
Quote Reply