Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top tube length for tall folks
Quote | Reply
Okay, as I continue to learn about the specs for tall folks, looking for more options. I am trying to see if I can work with Tom at TitanFlex to get a frame to fit a 6'5" person.

So, I have been able to find data on crank length to inseam as one data point a tall person needs.

Any spec for the BB distance?

But, the big one now is top tube length. It looks like the general answer from builders is to put a longer stem on which gives an effective longer top tube. But as another person I am talking to who is the same height as I, we both today have the same issue. We are so far over the front of the bike it is very unstable, as an example, going down steep hills. So, the last thing I want is to continue to be hanging way out the front of the bike. I have no desire to go down the Donner hill again scared to death because my bike is shaking.

So, any experience on how to build a frame correctly so the top tube will put a tall rider in the correct position without having to kludge with a longer stem over the front and be unstable?

Thanks

Dave

(Such a drag being tall)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube length for tall folks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'7". I ride a 62cm compact road geometry with a 60.5cm TT and a 73 degree (flipped upward) 11cm stem. I am not terribly flexible, so this works well. I do not want to be too steep. I love the fit.

I should also add that I previously rode a 61cm Cervelo (fit by a fist fitter). I do not recall the stem length. I never had an issue with stability. I loved that ride.
Last edited by: johnt: Oct 4, 05 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube length for tall folks [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What length crank arms are you using?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride DA 180mm on that bike. I ride 165's on my fixie - like a hamster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3" and ride a size 61. frame 172.5 cranks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'5" and have a custom Guru Tri'ti with a top tube length of 61cm and 180mm cranks. Very comfortable and stable at high speeds. Depending on your proportions a top tube length of 60-61cm should be about right. I have a road bike with a top tube length of 59 that seems to work fine with a little longer stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that seems too short? What is your inseam? Mine is 37.

What I have found is most of us tall folks use what the mfg makes, which is for the "normal" person.

Before I build this new bike, I am going to make sure I have all the parts right for being tall. I do not want to compromise again.

So, have you ever tried longer cranks? As an engineer, this is why I really am looking forward to trying my adjustable PC's on a velotron. I should be able to prove by the power reading what really works for me!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about 37 inches also. May be small. Feel great to me. FIST fitter (Cronometro in Madison, WI) set me up with this on my tri bike and even suggested 177.5 for this road bike. I went with 180's anyway because I like the feel. Not sure if more goes into this other than measurements. But I suspect that strength may have some place in an ideal formula. My fitter is NOT a measure 12 body parts and let me give you your ideal dimensions for a bike. They take a whole lot of other stuff into account.

Or maybe they just screwed me, I don't know. But I am happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Top tube length for tall folks [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry, I am doing my data collection.

What I find interesting is so many tall folks are riding 180 cranks. But, if you ask why, it really seems to come down to what the mfgs have made. Now, I have never tried longer ones either, but I sure am going to before I spend any more money. And the tall folks who have going to 190's or 200's sure all seem happy.

Has any tall person gone to 190's or 200's and then went back to 180's or 175's?

Dave

What was steves name again? I just hate to bug people when I am not sure what I am going to do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, is it fair to say you have never tried longer cranks to see if they would be better? At 37, the numbers say between 190 and 203.

So, looks like I can try and let some of us tall folks know if we have been getting screwed, just because the mfg only makes generally to 180.

They sure have no reason to tell you their product would not fit you. I need to find out from Gary what the make crank lengths he can make for his RC's. I would like some but only if they "fit"..

Dave

Quote Reply