Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top 5 size factors for bike shopping
Quote | Reply
Good Morning ST,

Looking to 2017, I'm thinking it's time for a new ride. I have a great LBS who I will be working with on this, but I'd like to do some searching online for myself outside of their "in house" brands / supported sales, and I'm not your average size triathlete at 6'6 tall.

My current bike fits me well, and I have all of the stock information regarding the size.

If you had to narrow down stock measurements on triathlon bikes, what would you say is the top 5 most important measurements that would "yay or nay" the possibility of someone of my height to be able to ride a particular bike?

Every bike I'm in love with stops at a 58cm frame, I ride a 60 and it's a great fit. If I can get close and my shop can dial me in, it would be nice to find some other options for myself, for instance the Argon 18 E-119, or an IA from Felt. I want that Argon.

I know a heck of a lot more goes into a bike fit, I've paid the dough and maxed out a GURU, best investment I've made on a bike. Would you guys be able to help me move in the right direction?

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 size factors for bike shopping [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
I'm not your average size triathlete at 6'6 tall.

My current bike fits me well, and I have all of the stock information regarding the size.
What bike is it? I can't think of any tri bikes that fit *anyone* well who is 6'6 with a typical morphology.
jsmith82 wrote:
If you had to narrow down stock measurements on triathlon bikes, what would you say is the top 5 most important measurements that would "yay or nay" the possibility of someone of my height to be able to ride a particular bike?
I don't think there are 5. At your height, it's frame stack, then frame stack, then frame stack, then frame reach, and finally seatpost angle.
jsmith82 wrote:
Every bike I'm in love with stops at a 58cm frame, I ride a 60 and it's a great fit. If I can get close and my shop can dial me in, it would be nice to find some other options for myself, for instance the Argon 18 E-119, or an IA from Felt. I want that Argon.
The Argon is a better fit than the Felt. And the Felt is a (much?) better bike.
jsmith82 wrote:
I know a heck of a lot more goes into a bike fit, I've paid the dough and maxed out a GURU, best investment I've made on a bike. Would you guys be able to help me move in the right direction?
Without looking at your fit and fit coordinates (so take this with a grain of salt because I have limited data), someone your height generally has two decent options, IMO:
1. Scott Plasma
2. Specialized Shiv

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jun 30, 16 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, you're 6'6", but are you more or less average proportioned, or do you have unusually long legs/shorter torso or vice-versa? I would think either one of the latter might make things a bit difficult on a 58cm. Top tube length would obviously be important as even offset posts and longer stems go only so far, especially if you do have a long torso. Head tube length would also come into play as you will need to be sitting decently high on the seatpost and a shorter head tube forces you to bend farther down, as you can only use so many spacers. In my mind the head tube angle and fork rake are also important since you would be a big guy on a smallish frame, and really steep angles may make the bike really twitchy and unstable. I know that's not 5, but those, at least as I see it, are really important.
Quote Reply
Re: Top 5 size factors for bike shopping [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
What bike is it? I can't think of any tri bikes that fit *anyone* well who is 6'6 with a typical morphology.

Kestrel Talon 60cm. I use a PRO base with t4+ bars, my pads are dropped additionally by use of J4 brackets. I use a 130mm stem.

trentnix wrote:
I don't think there are 5. At your height, it's frame stack, then frame stack, then frame stack, then frame reach, and finally seatpost angle.

Ha, right? I know, the science of fit goes so far beyond a "top 5" list, and I respect that. My hopes of this thread was to not fit myself to a sale, but to start trying to narrow my options. If I need to quit drooling over X bike because it's just never going to happen, better sooner than later.

trentnix wrote:
The Argon is a better fit than the Felt. And the Felt is a (much?) better bike.

Love them both. Both have very good reviews from ST. Both have great componentry options and in the 5-6k spending area, would provide what I'm looking for. But can a string bean dial in a fit, that's the question.

trentnix wrote:
Without looking at your fit and fit coordinates (so take this with a grain of salt because I have limited data), someone your height generally has two decent options, IMO:
1. Scott Plasma
2. Specialized Shiv

Both are on my list, I appreciate throwing some "tall" selections out there.

Crankyneck, thanks for weighing in. I have a 34in inseam. In terms of proportion, I'm fairly normal regarding legs, torso, arms. Just oversized on each in comparison to average joe. From what I was told my seat height to pad level is by average pretty aggressive though it may not seem so much when you see me riding due to my size. One of the factors on say the IA or the Targon e119 that I liked and thought may work in my favor is the large range of forward or more importantly, backward seat adjustment. The Kestrel Talon I guess is somewhere between a road bike and a tri bike, it's a non aggressive seat tube angle, and my fitter has my seat set pretty far forward. On one of these 58cm bikes in theory, my seat can be pushed back to meet the same location.

But then it comes to reach, will the spread be within my fit length.

Tall people. Good times.

I've attached a picture from this season with my current fit on the Kestrel.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jun 30, 16 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like your saddle could be raised quite a bit.
Quote Reply