Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Too old to start running ultras?
Quote | Reply
I am 52 years old. I was a runner in my teens/20's and then basically took my 30's off for numerous reasons. I started running again in my early 40s and then started doing tris about 8-9 years ago. I increased my distance in the manner I thought made sense. My first couple of years consisted of sprints and Olympics, then some half distance races and eventually an iron distance. All along I was also running various distances. This worked for me as I have been able to avoid injury and burnout. To date I have done 3 marathons, 15 25k races(both trail and road), half marathons, an AmZof mid distance, 12 70.3s and 1 ironman. I am doing another ironman this year. I have continued to do some sprint and Olympic distance races along with 5ks, 10ks, and 10mile races.

I like the whole trail running scene, so am I too old to start looking into some of the 50k and up races? This would become my focus, but doing it in a slower build, for example do a couple of marathons next year with some other 25ks thrown in then maybe an ultra the year after. Sound feasible?

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by: alittleslow: Apr 21, 14 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too old? Friend of mine ran his first 50 miler on his 50th birthday after running his first marathon at 45. Never too old!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're overthinking it. Here's a different view -

1. You run a lot.
  2. You wan't to run a lot more.
  3. Ultras require you to run a lot more.
  4. Ultras have a ton of older people in them.
  5. You're now older.
  6. Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

It's a different game, more mental. It's also more friendly, about sharing the experience, nature, the love of sport. It is surprisingly more gentle on the body in many sense. Try, you might be surprised.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a local runner who is 64 (maybe 65?) who is very active in the ultra scene.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that I tend to over think things...one of my faults.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever consider http://escarpmenttrail.com/ ?

Not an Ultra, but looks tough as all hell. Sounds like it might be right up your alley.
I turn 50 this year, tri's have run their course and this is on the radar. Mind you, I don't have near the running back round as you.
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Ever consider http://escarpmenttrail.com/ ?

Not an Ultra, but looks tough as all hell. Sounds like it might be right up your alley.
I turn 50 this year, tri's have run their course and this is on the radar. Mind you, I don't have near the running back round as you.

Wow, that looks tough(and fun in a weird kind of way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I saw AmZof on your resume, so I figured you like that kind of thing. If the shoe fits... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first ultra (60K) at age 23 and at about mile 32 a 70ish year old man who ran a 100 miler the week before began passing me. I struggled to keep up with him but I learned a ton. You are definitely not too old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first 50K at 52, and 4 weeks before my first marathon. You aren't too old...unless you think you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 54 and doing my first 100m in june
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fix wrote:
It is surprisingly more gentle on the body in many sense.

How so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think you are too old then perhaps you are. I'm only 64 this year and I'm not too old for virtually anything. Sure, things take longer and there are some things I just don't want to do but other than that, if you want to do it, just do it!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Fix wrote:

How so?

Not OP, but I would assume for the same reason many consider a 70.3 'easier' than a full marathon. Full marathon is ~3 hours pushing full out. A 12 hour ultra is going to have lots of walk breaks, and be more of a Z2 kind of thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. Enjoy the journey. I didn't do my first IM until 53, and I don't plan on trying Leadville until I get Kona done (at 60, it better get here soon, that's all I'm saying...) and the new quest begins. Have fun and maybe we'll cross paths...
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:
Fix wrote:

How so?

Not OP, but I would assume for the same reason many consider a 70.3 'easier' than a full marathon. Full marathon is ~3 hours pushing full out. A 12 hour ultra is going to have lots of walk breaks, and be more of a Z2 kind of thing...

A full is 26 of pounding compared to being on a bike and swim then just 13.1. Don't discount the pounding of time on the feet for 50 miles in much harder terrain, or a 100 miler. Ultra is harder than IM. Take your 13-14 hr training week across all sports and put it in just the legs, z2 or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend just finished his first 50 miler two weeks ago. He was basically an over weight couch potato until he started having heart problems at about 45. He cleaned up his act, lost a ton of weight, and now really enjoys the endurance events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 52 you will be one of the babies in an ultra field.

Just sign up for a 50M and do the proper prep. You will have completed it before you know it.

http://www.speedtheory.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
A full is 26 of pounding compared to being on a bike and swim then just 13.1. Don't discount the pounding of time on the feet for 50 miles in much harder terrain, or a 100 miler. Ultra is harder than IM. Take your 13-14 hr training week across all sports and put it in just the legs, z2 or not.

I will take your word for it, not rushing on either event ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking your 30 s off may have been a blessing. As long as your ankles, knees, hips and back hold up do as much fun as you can on them. I think total lifetime miles are important. Some people just wear out their parts faster than others. That is why a lot of the 80s aged record holder guys" only" took up running in their 50s and the other guys who were fast in college and kept going wore out a long time ago. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Taking your 30 s off may have been a blessing. As long as your ankles, knees, hips and back hold up do as much fun as you can on them. I think total lifetime miles are important. Some people just wear out their parts faster than others. That is why a lot of the 80s aged record holder guys" only" took up running in their 50s and the other guys who were fast in college and kept going wore out a long time ago. Good luck

Citation required. Last studies I saw showed runners having stronger knees.
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Fix wrote:

How so?
Less muscle soreness than for example a straight marathon, probably because the intensity is less and therefore muscle damage limited. I can go back to training faster. Psychologically I feel also I have no problem to get ready for a a long run; maybe this is due to the quasi meditation happening in long runs. n=1 as usual ;)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My story- never had ANY background in endurance sports, running, cycling, etc. Started doing tris at age 41 (first IM distance at 42). Started doing ultras around age 46 with a 50K. Now, at age 50, I do about 4-5 50K races per year and this past January did my first 50 miler to celebrate turning 50. I have three 50K races in the next 6 weeks. For the record, I have never done a stand-alone half marathon or marathon...only in Ironman or 70.3 races.

Go for it buddy! Never too old!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Too old to start running ultras? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
TunaBoo wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:
Fix wrote:

How so?

Thanks for all of the replies, looks like it's time to get a 50k on the schedule and give it a go. Also, I do agree that a stand alone marathon is tougher than a 70.3. In fact I feel it is harder on the legs than an ironman, but that could be just me. I race a marathon, I do an ironman.
Quote Reply

Prev Next