Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Too Much Mileage Too Early for IM Canada?
Quote | Reply
I'm now ramping up for IM Canada on July 26, about 16 weeks away. Several months back I asked ST for input on my last 70.3 in December and got incredibly helpful input on training and race-day pacing that helped me completely obliterate my goal time. With such great success in getting input from ST, I thought I'd come back for input on my training for IMC.

Specifically, I'd like to tap the ST knowledge base for input on:
(a) Whether I'm about to pile on too much run and bike mileage 16 weeks before an IM (my primary concern);
(b) How slow a pace I should run my long runs;
(c) Should I limit my long runs to 2 hours during training; and
(d) What you think is a realistic race goal time (very hard to predict, I know).

I penciled out run and bike mileage for the next four months and I'm wondering if I'm about to put in too much mileage too early and therefore be in danger of injury (I'm not concerned with mental burnout). I do a lighter recovery week every 4 weeks and my general plan the next three 4-week periods are roughly planned as:

Long Run / Total Weekly Run / Long Bike / Total Weekly Bike
15 mi / 40 mi / 80 mi / 150 mi
16.5 mi / 45 mi / 95mi / 165 mi
18 mi / 50 mi / 110mi / 180mi
Recovery week

Here's some background on me:
  1. I run 5x and bike 3-4x per week.
  2. I've done four (4) 70.3 races and two (2) 140.6 races over the past 5 years.
  3. Last race was a 70.3 in December on a flat course with decent head and cross-winds on the bike. Race time was 5:04, though I think the run course was seriously short so that time should likely be closer to 5:12.
  4. Bike is my strongest leg.
  5. I'm 43 years old, 5'10" and weigh about 140 (race weight will likely be a little under 135).
  6. My last 10k time from October was about 46:16 on a hot day and rolling hills course, with a heart rate of about 170bpm. I'm now in better run condition and think that same race pace would now be at 165bpm and I could likely shave about 1 minute off my 10k time on the same course with slightly cooler weather.
  7. In the past I've done my long runs at about 9:00 pace and walked 30 seconds every mile for runs over 15 miles.
  8. For my past two 140.6 races my long runs maxed at 20-22 miles to help me feel mentally prepared. I don't think I need to run that long for mental toughness this time around,
  9. On a 14-mile run today I held an 8:30 pace with a HR of about 149 and felt good. This was the day after a hard and fast 65-mile hilly bike.

As noted above, my four questions are:
(a) Is my proposed run and bike mileage too much for 16 weeks before an IM;
(b) How slow a pace I should run my long runs;
(c) Should I limit my long runs to 2 hours; and
(d) What you think is a realistic goal race time.

Any helpful input would be appreciated!
Last edited by: elburrito99: Mar 29, 15 21:31
Quote Reply
Re: Too Much Mileage Too Early for IM Canada? [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you swimming?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Too Much Mileage Too Early for IM Canada? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, swimming 2-3 times a week 30-45 minutes a session right now. That will increase to 60+ minutes in about a month.

I guess didn't mention the swim training since I'm not worried I'm loading up too much this early on the swim yardage.
Quote Reply
Re: Too Much Mileage Too Early for IM Canada? [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll comment on some of your info provided here, but it will be purely from a personal perspective so I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just what my observations are. I am about the same time out from my IM, except for me it will be my first.

a) How much are you running now, before the 16 week plan? Only then can we/I say something meaningful about whether it is too big an increase. Also, do you plan to max out at 50 miles or is that just the first 4 week cycle? If so, why are you hell bent on getting your max running miles in so quickly (again, maybe this is the way to do it, just asking)
b) IMO, you're running them currently way too fast. Your 10k time is only a minute per mile faster than your long run pace, that's really too fast I feel. I am about 7-8 mins faster for 10k than you and I will run a long slow run at a similar pace, maybe 30s/mile faster. And my HR will be about 40-45 beats below my 10k HR, whereas your hr is about 20 beats lower. The HR difference is not very meaningful in itself as that is highly individual but the relative speed definitely is I think.
c) Can't comment there but if you don't go for longer than 2hrs you would not go past 14 miles in training (even in your too fast 8:30 min/miles). Just saying.
d) No idea, hard to say without swim times, and more race times, and splits of race times, and even then probably still too hard.

Addendum: You say your strength is on the bike yet you will max out at 180 miles, of which 60% would come from your long ride. Why not bike more and exploit your strength? And why place such a large emphasis on that one long ride? What are you going to do in that long ride? And do you feel you need to ride 110 miles in order to be ready for your race? Some harder 3-4hr rides likely yield more in fitness. Unless it's a mental thing but you said that for the run that's not a thing. How about starting with 3 hard week rides of 40 miles and a weekend ride of 90, that would get you to 210 and you can build from there. Again this is how I would do it (how I am doing it currently). If three hard rides are too much then sub one for an easy ride.
Quote Reply