Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom Davison switches to cycling
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Tom Davison has given up triathlons to focus solely on cycling:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/10422204/Davison-gives-away-triathlons-for-road-cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Davison switches to cycling [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad to see him go. He made races more exciting on the bike. I'd be querulous to see if he makes a jump to IM in 5 years or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Davison switches to cycling [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it makes perfect sense for him although he certainly added an interesting spice to races this year. But as a second or third pack swimmer and someone who can't run within 5 minutes of the top runners after the bike leg, he seemed to have very little future in triathlon, other than to help other NZ athletes in a few specific races which would be waste of his prodigious biking abilities. I'd like to have seen him and the Brownlees in a front pack together just to see whether he could drop them, or whether they would combine to drop everyone else.

He also seems a very likeable hardworking guy, so sorry to see him go. But it is the right decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Davison switches to cycling [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to him!

Not completely surprised knew he had outstanding bike ability but I didn't know he came in 3rd at his national championship this year. Hopefully he gets into a team where he can get a few opportunities to get noticed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Davison switches to cycling [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a pleasure riding his wheel up to the lead pack in Yokohama! I'm sad to see him go... from races that I come out of the swim in front of him. :) It can be a long day when you are on the other side!

As long as I've been following ITU, there hasn't been another athlete with his skill level on the bike + his motivation/commitment to ride hard. I'm very interested to see how his transition to cycling goes.

He's a fun follow on Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/1205553

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply