Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Today's road rage incident
Quote | Reply
I was riding home and a car came up behind me and lingered for a bit too long. As they passed, they yelled obscenities and flipped me off. Moments later, they mixed it up with a pickup truck. In the 3rd picture you can see the driver starting to get out of the car to backup his friend who was menacing the pickup driver with a skateboard. I did a U-turn to backup the pickup driver but they hurried back to their car and sped off before I got there. The driver told me they were trying to start something using the skateboard as a weapon. He said he put his CCW on the dash and they quickly backed down.

Note how much easier it is to make out the license plate in 4K than 1080p.

Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’d be surprised...

https://www.google.com/...article74293522.html

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note to self: Don't ride down the middle of the street.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a very wide road. I'm not riding in the middle when they flipped me off. I am later when I pass by both vehicles parked on the side with doors open and people getting out. I also ride with a mirror so I usually know when vehicles are behind me.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ain't road rage - just a couple of yahoo's with nothing better to do that day.

I had a doozy road rage incident a few weeks ago. Was commuting on the e-bike and there is a bus/car/bike lane ~ 500M long. The bikes go straight in & the cars have to wind their way in through a chicane. Anyway this truck had it out for me, and was bouncing off the curbs roaring like hell in chase.

Now being a bus lane there are shrubs, crosswalk or two. OMG there is a guy in the crosswalk & I'm riding for my life. I zip past him hugging the curb then hit the brakes/look back. Fortunately the nut-case (going way too fast of course) was able to clamp the binders & not hit him. It was close.

We meet at the end of the lane/stop light & the guy is just screaming at me for "riding on the road". I laid into him with a barrage of f-bombs and insults that shut him down pretty quick. Get this ...he's in a company truck. Got the license, contacted the CEO on LinkedIn. He's in deep do-do. Totally unsafe behaviour.

However this is road rage: Movement without energy expenditure. Mental stress without relief. Adrenaline with no outlet. = Road rage.

The guy who tried to run me down is a 8-5 working dude, in his 50's. Probably pretty reasonable otherwise. What the hell?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I also ride with a mirror so I usually know when vehicles are behind me.

lol
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road rage is defined as any action by a driver taken to "punish" any real or perceived traffic violation. The OP's incident was road rage, your incident i don't even know how to describe tbh. That sounds absolutely terrifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What camera you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing says 'hardass' like a Subaru wagon.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sony FDR-X1000V. I have the newer X3000 but it apparently doesn't hold up to road cycling. The tripod mount pulled out, was repaired, and is now pulling out again so I went back to my old camera.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is no big deal, I see this kind of stuff frequently. At least he didn't close pass or otherwise endanger you.

I do think there's a genuine problem with road rage these days. I see it when driving. Lots of drivers demonstrate a total lack of patience and insist on constant tailgating and constant lane switching. I see it while riding: almost every ride I see a driver do something careless and every few weeks, I see drivers do something deliberately dangerous towards cyclists. I've been riding on the road for thirty years and I feel as if it's worse than ever these days.

In my experience with three (!) car/bike accidents me or my cyclist friends have been involved in the past, I've come to believe that the laws in the US are biased to protect drivers. Laws in many states seem to be written to explain away driver inattention and carelessness while heavily punishing cyclists and pedestrians for even the most minor infraction. Also, the police who enforce those laws also have essentially no sympathy for cyclists and demonstrate a strong bias to see things from a driver's perspective. In the back of their minds, I believe most police officers think roads are the domain of the car and cyclists are taking their lives into their hands by riding on the road. The police I've personally dealt with after an accident have generally defaulted to "it's dangerous riding on the road, cyclists know the risks and these things happen" regardless of the facts of the situation. This attitude is completely ridiculous and one of the main reason why I've entirely given up riding alone on the road. As a cyclist on the road in the US, you are a third class citizen and no one has got your back. Ride accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they did to me was no big deal but pulling over to assault the pickup truck driver (who was armed and drew his weapon) was much more serious and could have gotten real ugly, real fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
What they did to me was no big deal but pulling over to assault the pickup truck driver (who was armed and drew his weapon) was much more serious and could have gotten real ugly, real fast.

No, not really. They were stupid kids who were probably high and out of their minds (Colorado Plates), and it probably would have gone nowhere. That kid was a weenie, and pulling a gun in that situation is completely the wrong thing to do, as there is no way he was in a situation that his life was threatened. Him pulling a gun means their life is threatened, and they could have pulled their own gun or guns. Then things really would have gotten out of hand. He would have a very hard time defending himself if he had shot one of those kids. You should report those plates to local police so they can pay those kids a visit, and the guy in the truck should have just driven away. He should also know better as someone who carries. Anyone who thinks otherwise watches too much TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

No, not really. They were stupid kids who were probably high and out of their minds (Colorado Plates), and it probably would have gone nowhere. That kid was a weenie, and pulling a gun in that situation is completely the wrong thing to do, as there is no way he was in a situation that his life was threatened. Him pulling a gun means their life is threatened, and they could have pulled their own gun or guns. Then things really would have gotten out of hand. He would have a very hard time defending himself if he had shot one of those kids. You should report those plates to local police so they can pay those kids a visit, and the guy in the truck should have just driven away. He should also know better as someone who carries. Anyone who thinks otherwise watches too much TV.
Agreed. Pulling a gun in that situation is absurd escalation of a fairly innocuous situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Silvercivic27 wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

Agreed. Pulling a gun in that situation is absurd escalation of a fairly innocuous situation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think placing the weapon on the dash was both rationale and prudent. When some lunatic jumps out of his car, beelines to the driver's car door, and is ranting unintelligibly, are you suggesting he should have tried to engage in civil discourse and risk getting his face smashed in with a skateboard with steel axles on the bottom? Perhaps the right action depends on what state you are from. I live in Florida and if the kid had proceeded to start bashing in the driver's window, it would have easily been within the driver's right to kill him on the spot. I would imagine Texans would come to the same conclusion. As noted by the OP, it was the display of the CCW that ended the confrontation. We can agree to disagree here, but no, I don't see it as an innocuous situation at all. Let's just be glad it ended well.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:
I also ride with a mirror so I usually know when vehicles are behind me.

lol

I'm missing the humor here. No, I don't race with a Moats mirror, but I did start using one in training a couple of years ago after reading one too many cyclist fatality. And yes, they do improve my situational awareness with cars coming up behind me. Sad that we have to do that in today's world.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Dec 30, 17 10:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I did a U-turn to backup the pickup driver
Cool.

HuffNPuff wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think placing the weapon on the dash was both rationale and prudent. When some lunatic jumps out of his car, beelines to the driver's car door, and is ranting unintelligibly, are you suggesting he should have tried to engage in civil discourse and risk getting his face smashed in with a skateboard with steel axles on the bottom?
There's a pretty obvious option in the middle of taking a beating on the one hand and pulling a gun on the other: leaving.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Dec 30, 17 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Today's road rage incident [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think placing the weapon on the dash was both rationale and prudent. When some lunatic jumps out of his car, beelines to the driver's car door, and is ranting unintelligibly, are you suggesting he should have tried to engage in civil discourse and risk getting his face smashed in with a skateboard with steel axles on the bottom? Perhaps the right action depends on what state you are from. I live in Florida and if the kid had proceeded to start bashing in the driver's window, it would have easily been within the driver's right to kill him on the spot. I would imagine Texans would come to the same conclusion. As noted by the OP, it was the display of the CCW that ended the confrontation. We can agree to disagree here, but no, I don't see it as an innocuous situation at all. Let's just be glad it ended well.

You are missing something...common sense. When someone gets out of their car and approaches yours in a threatening manner, you drive away. It is always better to avoid conflict. Any CCW class will teach you that. Displaying your firearm in a threatening manner is never prudent or rational. If your firearm is coming out, the next step better be to shoot because your life is in danger, and I’m not talking about stupid kids yelling at you and swinging a skateboard at you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

You are missing something...common sense. When someone gets out of their car and approaches yours in a threatening manner, you drive away. It is always better to avoid conflict. Any CCW class will teach you that. Displaying your firearm in a threatening manner is never prudent or rational. If your firearm is coming out, the next step better be to shoot because your life is in danger, and I’m not talking about stupid kids yelling at you and swinging a skateboard at you.

On the other hand the jackasses might go away from this thinking that harassing random people is not a safe a form of recreation for jackasses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a case in MI where simply approaching the vehicle with hostile intent was enough to justify shooting:

http://fox17online.com/...-road-rage-shooting/

Quote:
Friday morning, Prosecutor Chris Becker said that he will not be pressing charges against Chipman, believing that they would not be able to prove that Chipman was not acting in self-defense.
Becker said during the altercation, both Dudleys approached Chipman's vehicle with "hostile intent." Seeing the situation as a possible 2-on-1 altercation, Chipman was justified in using self-defense, according to Becker. They had also allegedly thrown at item at Chipman's vehicle.
Here, they hadn't even tried to get at the driver by smashing the windows. It could be argued that in my situation, the pickup driver would have been even more justified in shooting. He was old and out-of-shape and the "youts" had weapons on top of a 2-on-1 fight.

http://fox17online.com/...is-no-justification/

Quote:
It remains unclear what exactly led up to the two vehicles pulling off to the side of the road where the shooting happened. The entire ordeal is believed to have stretched on for 6-8 miles before the vehicles stopped, relatives say.
"We’re not sure who cut who off, who initiated it, but the point is both parties were involved in this back and forth," said Brian Utter, an uncle.
“All we know is that at the end of this road rage incident, somewhere he pulled over, they had pulled over, and gunfire ensued."
It was Chipman who motioned for them to pull over, family of the brothers claim. They likely knew they were in for a fight, Utter said, but they weren't armed and never expected the other driver to have a gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, putting it on your dash means you're in less control of the gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your ability to Monday morning quarterback is off the charts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Your ability to Monday morning quarterback is off the charts.

As is yours...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great...shoot them...then enjoy the shitstorm that follows.
Quote Reply

Prev Next