Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava
Quote | Reply
Is the Strava estimated power accurate on a tri bike or is it assuming I'm on an average bike (likely a roadie) with a higher CdA and therefore showing an overestimated power reading? I'd guess if 75% or more Strava users started riding TT bikes the numbers would change.

Not that the power numbers are critical for my training, mostly just curious about this.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Is the Strava estimated power accurate on a tri bike or is it assuming I'm on an average bike (likely a roadie) with a higher CdA and therefore showing an overestimated power reading? I'd guess if 75% or more Strava users started riding TT bikes the numbers would change.

Not that the power numbers are critical for my training, mostly just curious about this.

Those numbers, for the majority of riding conditions (maybe in the "ballpark" for certain longer climbs), are pretty much useless and not accurate for anything regardless of bike.
Quote Reply
Re: To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's neither accurate on a TT bike nor on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have an actual powermeter on your bike and are recording the data, Strava reports that data and puts a lightening bolt behind the watts.

If you do not have a powermeter, then it shows an estimated power reading as described HERE and doesn't factor in any environmental differences, ie wind speed and direction, and can be wildly inaccurate.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: May 24, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
If you do not have a powermeter, then it shows an estimated power reading as described HERE and doesn't factor in any environmental differences, ie wind speed and direction and can be wildly inaccurate.

Thanks I hadn't seen that. I will assume since I have a good TT position, on a well-maintained bike that Strava's estimated average power for a ride is high. I did notice a tailwind going out and a headwind coming back home and Strava's numbers seem quite off in those locations with regards to my HR and perceived exertion.

-------------------
Last edited by: Timtek: May 24, 15 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For entertainment purposes only.

IF they happen to be close, it's like a broken clock.
But yes - I think they're assuming typical roadie, CRR, CdA, etc.

If you want accurate power #'s, you'll hafta upload your PM data to Strava.
I've recently gotten a 4iiii's Viiiiva HR strap, that allows my PT to talk to my iPhone, and then it all uploads to Strava in a jiffy.
(as opposed to having to download from my 310XT, which is very time-consuming).

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Burnt Toast wrote:
If you do not have a powermeter, then it shows an estimated power reading as described HERE and doesn't factor in any environmental differences, ie wind speed and direction and can be wildly inaccurate.

Thanks I hadn't seen that. I will assume since I have a good TT position, on a well-maintained bike that Strava's estimated average power for a ride is high. I did notice a tailwind going out and a headwind coming back home and Strava's numbers seem quite off in those locations with regards to my HR and perceived exertion.

How do you know you have a good position? Just because something looks aero to you doesn't mean it actually is. I assume by your lack of a PM you have gone for aero testing in a velodrome or wind tunnel...
Quote Reply
Re: To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's neither accurate on a TT bike nor on a road bike.

WHAT?! You mean I don't have a 400W FTP? No wonder I'm so slow...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

Yes, the Strava estimated power is ~100w high for me on a flat road on my TT bike. In many cases it will show numbers in the 400+ range on longer segments. I'm incapable of that type of effort.

It is pretty close on climbs of more than 90 seconds or so where the speed is <30kph on either bike.

It is grossly LOW on the dirt on my CX or MTB.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: To those with powermeters on TT/tri bikes w/ Strava [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. What's interesting to me is that Strava has loads of power meter/map data from user uploads. The courses I train on are very well-trafficked by cyclists of all abilities [many with bonafide PM] and Strava accounts.

So in the same way google maps generates real-time traffic data by numerous commuters using GPS/Google maps simultaneously, I'd also assume Strava has accumulated a very nice database of actual power numbers to coincide with their segments.

SuperDave wrote:
Yes, the Strava estimated power is ~100w high for me on a flat road on my TT bike. In many cases it will show numbers in the 400+ range on longer segments. I'm incapable of that type of effort.

Geez. Well, I was guessing something like 4-6% or 1mph difference. Now I just feel terrible about my Saturday shakeout ride numbers. : P

-------------------
Last edited by: Timtek: May 24, 15 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said it's about as accurate as a random number generator.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply