Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...n.aspx#axzz4JnyDsS7t

TAMPA, Fla. (Sept. 9, 2016) – IRONMAN, a Wanda Sports Holding company, announced today that they will be adding a new IRONMAN® 70.3® event to Madison, which will replace the independently owned Wisconsin Milkman Triathlon. The inaugural IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin triathlon will take place on Sunday, June 11, 2017 and joins the historic IRONMAN Wisconsin triathlon, in the heart of the state capital.

“The Wisconsin Milkman Triathlon was a highly successful race that was put on by our IRONMAN Wisconsin Race Director Ryan Richards and Ryan Griessmeyer of Race Day Events. We look forward to having Ryan now continue as race director for both the IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events in Madison as well as working with Race Day Events,” said Jeff Edwards, Vice President of Operations for IRONMAN. “Madison has played host to numerous popular events; we are thrilled to have this race join our 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 North American calendar.”

The race will grace the shores along iconic Olin Park starting with a 1.2-mile swim in the waters of Lake Monona, the same lake used by IRONMAN Wisconsin. Competitors will then bike 56 miles among the rolling hills of Dane County, south of Madison, using the Capital City Bike Path. Finally, a picturesque 13.1-mile counter-clockwise run takes participants along the shores of Lake Monona on the way back to Madison.

“I am excited to continue my work with IRONMAN as we grow the sport of triathlon in Madison,” said Ryan Richards IRONMAN Wisconsin Race Director. “Our goal is to build on the strong tradition of IRONMAN Wisconsin and continue to provide additional opportunities for athletes of all abilities to enjoy the beauty of Madison and the surrounding communities in Dane County.”

“We are excited to add IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin to our community calendar of special events. After having hosted IRONMAN Wisconsin for the past 15 years, we’ve seen sustained enthusiasm from our community in the way of volunteers, spectators, civic cooperation and collaboration,” said Deb Archer President and CEO of the Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau and Madison Area Sports Commissions. “Athletes from around the country and the world continually remark on what an exceptional race experience we offer, from our challenging biking to our clean lakes, to our fans and volunteer support along the way. It’s because of this community’s goodwill and support that we can continue to welcome IRONMAN Wisconsin and now the new IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin triathlon to Madison with open arms.”

IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin will offer 50 slots to the 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship taking place on September 9 and 10, 2017 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

General registration for IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin will open September 27, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. ET at www.ironman.com/wisconsin70.3. Athlete inquiries may be directed to wisconsin70.3@ironman.com. For more information on the IRONMAN brand and global event series, visit www.ironman.com. Media may contactpress@ironman.com.
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing Gerlach had a good race this year!
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weird, shows the date as sept 27, 2017
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think registration opens then.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Sep 9, 16 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another independent race replaced by Dalian...

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if it will have qualifying slots for Worlds?

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd sure hope it does if you mean for age groupers.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I mean for age groupers. But I also meant for 2017 in Chattanooga.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you missed the next to last paragraph in the announcement.
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hilly 70.3 to break up drafting - IN!
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 2 friends who live locally say if the course is the same they would not do it. Roughest roads ever! Buddy had to have his Speed Concept front end overhauled afterwards as it shook loose. Hard to stay on the aerobars on rads that rough. Hopefully they're going to change the course or pave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will be the difference in entry fee between the Milkman and the Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I have to read more carefully.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure. I see the IM races have gone up to $720. I haven't seen pricing for the new race as it doesn't open for reg until the 27th. I live here, but for now would pass. That said, I'm sure it will fill.....this area is nuts for jumping into these without knowing much about what it entails..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder impact on Racine?
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt too much. Isn't Racine much later in the summer?

TrekRider68 wrote:
Wonder impact on Racine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I had 2 friends who live locally say if the course is the same they would not do it. Roughest roads ever! Buddy had to have his Speed Concept front end overhauled afterwards as it shook loose. Hard to stay on the aerobars on rads that rough. Hopefully they're going to change the course or pave.

This is my feeling. I really wanted to like this course. Especially because of how much I like moo. But swim was into the sun and nasty. Bike was very technical and roads sucked. Run was tough but fair

I would not do again unless I knew the roads were better
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I think they may be trying to replace Racine and they sure founds roads every bit as bad. Living here, I would most likely go elsewhere. I know Grand Rapids has a pretty nice race in a similar timeframe.

ironmayb wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

This is my feeling. I really wanted to like this course. Especially because of how much I like moo. But swim was into the sun and nasty. Bike was very technical and roads sucked. Run was tough but fair

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same weekend as Door County.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had heard this rumor back before the race this year, hopefully they choose better roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Door County and Racine are on the same day. Last year the Milkman was on the same weekend as the Toughman 70.3 ( the old High Cliff 70.3)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its a 70.3 so Its probably around $230-300. I wouldn't pay $600 or more for a half ironman.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Sep 10, 16 4:25
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be the same weekend as Elkhart Lake...bummer. 1-2 weeks later would be much better.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: To no one's surprise...IRONMAN ANNOUNCES NEW IRONMAN 70.3 WISCONSIN EVENT IN MADISON [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess there will be all sorts of decisions to make for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Yea, I think they may be trying to replace Racine and they sure founds roads every bit as bad. Living here, I would most likely go elsewhere. I know Grand Rapids has a pretty nice race in a similar timeframe.

ironmayb wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thomas and I talked about this at Racine this year, as I had heard a rumor that it was going to be the last year (2016) for Racine. But TG said he was told in the pro meeting that WTC had re-upped with Racine for another 2-3 years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next