Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle.
Quote | Reply
I know this has been talked about a lot. I still can't get comfortable. My past tri saddles include the San Marco Aspide Tri (okay but not great) and Arione Tri (hated it- slopes up at the rear... I slid forward... went numb). I'm currently on an SLR (not T1). I like its 'flatness', but its rock hardness is hurting a lot after a couple hours. I think I want something wider- surface area and weight distribution are important, especially when sitting on places that were not intended to be sat upon (i.e. forward seating, aero position). Here are my current choices:

-SLR T1. Looks to me like it keeps the same basic shape as the SLR, but adds a wider/more padded nose.
-Profile Design Tri Stryke. People seem to love this saddle. I'm suspicious, though, of the cutout. It looks to me that cutouts just reduce surface area and can potentially create pressure points
-San Marco Azoto. Judging from Slowman's comparison of this and the Aspide, the Azoto is the heavier, more plush of the two.
-Blackwell saddle. Tom Demerly said that ladies love this saddle... any men out there have it?
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just seconds after writing that post, I found this nice review of the Tri-Stryke:
http://www.chivalry.net/archives/category/product-reviews/

(there is an update on the second page)
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg,

I spent a couple of years searching for a good saddle but found no comfort until I changed my position/bike frame. I used the Azoto for a while and liked the nose, but when I finally had a frame that fit correctly, I didn't slide forward anymore and the rear of the Azoto is hard and uncomfortable. I have tried a flat San Marco Aspide, as well as an old Selle Italia Turbo, but finally became comfortable on a Selle Italia Turbomatic 2. In my new position my weight is distrubuted between my sit-bones and crotch, leading to much more comfort than positions that were putting most of the weight on one or the other.

I tried a Terry with a cut-out and it relieved pressure in the middle but made it worse on the sides. Other cut-out saddle may be better, I have not tried one since. I'm riding on a plain Selle Italia Flite Ti right now on the bike I have here at Camp Fallujah and it has a similar shape to the Turbomatic 2. It has been comfortable enough, even on my moutain bike. I never like flat saddles as the ones with a dip a la the Flite and Turbomatic.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out the flow saddle by saddleco.

http://www.saddleco.com/flowmain.html

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just seconds after writing that post, I found this nice review of the Tri-Stryke:
http://www.chivalry.net/...ory/product-reviews/

(there is an update on the second page)

I'm curious about this one also. Riding the Koobi Tri saddle right now and like everything about it except the width. It's a bit too wide for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm weird, but I found the most comfortable saddle for me is the bare carbon saddles. I've done long rides on my stiff Cannondale road bike and found the carbon saddle (with a carbon seatpost) to be the most comfortable for me. On my TitanFlex, the ride is even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you'll like the T1. Of all the saddles I've tried, it was one of my favorites but it was just a tad to wide for me. I have a Selle San Marco Aspide Black Angel on order with the LBS. It looks similiar to the T1, but maybe narrower.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [cray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Koobi was too wide, I'd probably steer clear of the Profile saddle. From what I read, it is quite wide.

I actually decided to just go ahead and order the Tri-Stryke. At $75, it was the cheapest of my options. If it doesn't work out, I may go for the SLR T1. I know I like flat saddles- the Tri-Stryke is flat. I know I want more padding and width. The Tri Stryke has both. I'm not 100% sure on the cutout, but for $50 bucks cheaper than the T1, it was worth a shot. I'll be sure to post an update after I get the saddle installed and have some decent miles on it.

Edit: part of the reason I have been hesitant about the Profile saddle is simply its weight and appearance. Welp, it's time to get over that- I'd rather be comfortable and 100 grams heavier than miserable. This is Ironman, folks!
Last edited by: gregk: Nov 13, 05 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg, keep us posted on how the Profile works. I too am suffering the goldelock's syndrome with TT saddles.

My requirements are exactly as yours with preference for good flat surface and soft nose. I purchased a Performance Tri saddle (because it was cheap) that looked like the Profile and I've been less than thrilled. Today it goes back and I'm going to look at the Koobi or T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this day, it seems like someone could come up with some kind of microchip sensor seat that adjusts to your crotch requirements. Is that too much to ask?

Quote | Reply
Have you thought of trying an Elite cover on your SLR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg, I also have ongoing saddle issues, so I'm anxious to hear your review. My bike came with the Specialized stock BG Transition and though I tried the Selle Apside Tri Gel, I like the Specialized one better. The San Marco wasn't wide enough for me, and not enough padding, especially in the rear. I think my sit bones are too far apart for that saddle, so I've stuck wtih the stock saddle, but after about an hour-and-a-half of riding, I find myself constantly fidgeting to switch pressure on my perineum around.
Let us know how the Profile works!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [Badger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny Cobb is about to come out with a saddle that will be marketed through Blackwell. I'm riding a prototype right now. I rode the Arione for a long time, but had a terrible time with numbness in the crotch and overall discomfort. This saddle is much shorter than other saddles, has 2 "fingers" that point forward, uses gel, and take the pressure off the boyz. It looks strange, but it's extremely comfortable for me. John says it is in production, and should be out in the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out

Finding the Perfect Bicycle Seat (eBook)

How to choose the safest, most comfortable saddle for your anatomy

http://www.roadbikerider.com/pbs_page.htm

based on the recommendations from the study on which the eBook is based performancebikes manufactured a saddle called the "E3" ... just got it the other day and haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

in the meantime, I've tried the Fizik Arione saddle for the entire season and found it to be better then most out there so far ... (fyi - there's also a more padded tri-version out there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet the issue is your position, not your saddle. Can you post a pic of your setup?
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really doubt it is a fit issue. I'm pretty dialed in. I actually started another thread about fit- Slowman himself even gave me the thumbs up!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=613960;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

All I'm working on is raising my saddle height. It is a custom frame, and I'm happy with the fit- it's just finding the right saddle that eludes me. On my roadie, it took 4-5 saddles before I found "The One" (Fizik Aliante). Maybe I'm just picky or my nether regions are just tender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you try the normal arione?

if you make sure that it's flat, you have a nice little dip in the middle for the important sections, and then the 'raised' back supports your sit bones...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not tried the normal Arione. I noticed that it was flatter than the Arione Tri, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the un-saddle?

http://www.dimarusa.com/un-saddle/welcome.htm

Some will find it fugly, but its design certainly makes sense... 'have been trying it for three weeks now, after a three day total-crotch-numbness spell (and yes I did panic) and while there is certainly more pressure on my seat bones (at least so far, got to adapt to two pressure points instead of three) my family jewels do thank me...

... plus if you are a masher, the rotating motion of the saddle really helps while clinmbing seated or mashing on the flats, works very well with my RCs.

Pardon my French.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only bring it up because 99% of the comfort issues I've seen involve a saddle that's too high (and when that's the case, no saddle will correct the comfort issue).
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my saddle is actually a bit too low. Hopefully the Tri Stryke is everything I want and more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

It may not be your "fit" on the bike, but rather some slight saddle adjustments.

Here is how I set up my saddle, based on a little help I got from Tinley 18 years or so ago when this aero thing 1st started: 1st, make sure you have a decent overall position and your seat is the right height - you are then 90% of the way to comfort. I rode a regular old Flite, and have since they 1st came out (just recently switched to Arione on my race bike). Take a level and measure from the nose about 5 inches back - this is the part of the saddle that you want level. Now, skew the saddle about .5 cm or 1/2 the width of the nose to the side away from your "hang." Now, when riding in the aero position, your "taint" lays to the side of the saddle instead of right on it. Rotate your hips a little forward and make sure your arms aren't too far stretched out.

This has worked for me and I hope it helps you. Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Jinx ...please check your PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tri-Stryke works for me! I bought my first tri bike a few months ago - it came with a Selle Italia Trimatic Genuine Gel (or something like that) - VERY uncomfortable - has a ridge down the center from front to back! Since replacing this saddle with the Tri-Stryke, I haven't even thought about the saddle again, except for every now and then realizing that I'm not uncomfortable. On long rides I'll sit in a couple of positions - on the nose of the saddle, or on the back on my sit bones - it works either way.
Quote Reply
Re: To continue beating the dead horse- I need a comfortable saddle. [blur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear :) Now I just have to wait until UPS (or whatever the cheapest shipping option was) delivers the saddle to my door! Well, the saddle, a tub-o-Perpetuem, and some amber Swedish goggles.
Quote Reply

Prev Next