Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To Whey or not to Whey, a wheigted Q...
Quote | Reply
I just completed a very successful season back in the sport after almost 8 years not competing… (Those day’s I was competing as an Elite Junior and giving the senior guys hell; now they do to me… ouch!)
Anyway, to get to this point in just one season I had to loose some weight! I’m 5.11 and weighed in at 185! (In my good old days I was 143). So my mission was to get to 165 for race season. I ended up getting to 148 without going on any diets just pure exercise and less TV & Internet!

Now the question (at last), as my season is now at an end and my plan is to start my first IM next season, I would like to know if using WHEY (protein supplements) is of any value? The last thing I want is to put back some of the weight I lost, I’m currently 150 and plan to stay this weight and then maybe shed a few extra pounds just before race season starts. Apart from being scared of putting on some weight, I’m also careful not to loose some of the lean muscles. A friend then recommended using WHEY during the “off season”, but I’m very careful when using anything.

Any comments or feedback on this? Anyone using it?

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Re: To Whey or not to Whey, a wheigted Q... [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Hammer Pro Whey for recovery purposes, mixing it with fruit juice, and strongly believe that it works for me. Not only does Hammer Pro Whey has a great amino acid profile, but the support and knowledge you can get from the Hammer/e-caps people is phenomenal. So, I recommend that you either dive into their website (e-caps.com) or give them a call (800-336-1977) with specific questions; Joe is great with the technical stuff. And while on the protein supplement bandwagon here, I also use Hammer Pro Soy for pre-workout/anytime hydration, as well as Perpetuem and Sustained Energy (both are protein-enhanced) during workouts and races. And.......I am NOT an employee or shareholder in Hammer/e-caps -- just a true believer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say NO WHEY MAN!!!!

Check out the posts on:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

This was covered in that discussion, I posted a few references as did some other folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This doesnt answer your question but I get my protein from http://www.proteinfactory.com/ You can special order your mixture. You can also IM the guy who runs the company and ask questions. He gave me a recomendataion and I used it. I have been very happy with the product. Of course I am 6'1" and 165 lbs so take that into account also.

bubba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using some whey protein as the 'isolate" form, not the 'concentrated' form and soy protein as they have less lactose than the WP concentrate. Whey is a dairy product and can cause serious gastrointestinal distress if one is lactose intolerant such as me (whether they know it or not).

That said, protein in general has value if you know how to use it. If you're strength training, you can maximize it's effectiveness if you consume it at determined times throughout the day. I suggest http://www.champion-nutrition.com/champion/ as astarting point for more research.

If your just looking to maintain weight or lose fat, protein is a very effective part of a controlled carb eating plan. More protein keeps you satiated longer and helps controll your carbohydrate (sugar) addiction. Less carbs, more protein with some high quality Omega 3-6-9 fats. I prefer Atkins, but many others are good. It's not for everyone, as you will see by the responses to this very post. But, one should give it a shot first before it can be deemed ineffective.

Sean
Quote Reply