Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To Freeze or not to Freeze?
Quote | Reply
Recently I have been spending hours upon hours on the trainer doing intervals. I don't feel like I am improving anymore and maybe even hurting myself as there are mornings I can barely walk ( I don't do rest days just recovery rides). I have been running a little on the treadmill but only to the tune of 10-15 miles a week, although my run is improving. I think I definatly need to work on the bike more than the run. I desperatly need to get outside as my first du of the season is in a little over a month. It is 30 degrees out and I can stand running in that weather but riding the bike kills me. So should I continue doing intervals for the next few weeks on the trainer and avoid freezing or grow a set and force myself to ride when I'm freezing? Crossing my fingers for the weather to break so I can get a few days of over 40 degree temps.
Quote Reply
Re: To Freeze or not to Freeze? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the road is safe to ride on, maybe think about at least doing your recovery rides outdoor and intervals indoors.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the connection between lack of improvement on the bike and riding outdoors? If your legs are shot and aren't recovering, change the workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: To Freeze or not to Freeze? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More recovery? I'm just thinking I don't have enough actual road time in to see any gains? Could possibly be that I am expecting more from what I am doing and the improvment is more gradual than I would like to believe. I need to get my trainer road going to see my actual ftp. I am just going off of feel and rpe. Possibly I have improved more than I think. With that said I am also concerned I haven't done any bricks. Barring a few treadmill runs after using the ARC trainer at the gym. (which I consider a better bike substitute than the crappy gym bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body improves when you are recovering. You need some rest and recovery built in your schedule. I'm following trainer road plans and I'm riding indoors 4 days a week. Best workouts I've ever had. Granted, I'm also running and swimming 3 days but I try and have a day where I do nothing and recover. If you continually ride on tired legs, you'll never improve.
Quote Reply
Re: To Freeze or not to Freeze? [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
Your body improves when you are recovering. You need some rest and recovery built in your schedule. I'm following trainer road plans and I'm riding indoors 4 days a week. Best workouts I've ever had. Granted, I'm also running and swimming 3 days but I try and have a day where I do nothing and recover. If you continually ride on tired legs, you'll never improve.

^This

It sounds like you are driving yourself into the ground. At this rate, you may make it to your race, but if you are stale/burned out you won't perform well. Riding outside vs on the trainer isn't going to magically put a spring in your legs. It's the type of training you are doing, the amount of recovery built in, the amount of sleep you are getting, your nutrition, etc. You have to have balance.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I am miserable doing a good workout in on the trainer, so I do all my riding outside (I live in New Hampshire). Honestly, I'd rather be slow than have to ride the trainer if those were the only two choices.

That's me...a lot of people get very good workouts on the trainer on a regular basis and good for them...but a lot of people also spend a lot of time on the trainer without getting good workouts...these are normally people who don't have a means of measuring their power output.

Riding outside when it is cold doesn't necessarily mean freezing if you have the right clothing. Last Friday I did a 9 hour outdoor ride in the White Mtns and the temp topped out at 15 degrees. So, to answer your question, you should do whatever you want, but if you choose to ride outside, I'd invest in some warmer clothing so you are comfortable doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: To Freeze or not to Freeze? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its mainly my hands that freeze..... I wear gloves but it seems the wind cuts right through them. What type of gloves do I need neoprene?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear battery powered heated gloves with a thin wind proof layer. Neoprene gloves do exist and might help.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
I don't see the connection between lack of improvement on the bike and riding outdoors? If your legs are shot and aren't recovering, change the workouts.

This.

You don't get stronger from the workouts, you get stronger as your body recovers from workouts. It is important do enough recovery/rest for your body to recover. If you don't, you will eventually end up perpetually fatigued no matter how many intervals you do, even if they are outside.

Going outside is not going to change a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
More recovery? I'm just thinking I don't have enough actual road time in to see any gains? Could possibly be that I am expecting more from what I am doing and the improvment is more gradual than I would like to believe. I need to get my trainer road going to see my actual ftp. I am just going off of feel and rpe. Possibly I have improved more than I think. With that said I am also concerned I haven't done any bricks. Barring a few treadmill runs after using the ARC trainer at the gym. (which I consider a better bike substitute than the crappy gym bikes.

You might not see the gains, but you certainly don't need any road time to make gains. You can train exactly the same indoors as outdoors. Many don't because it is boring to do a 3hr ride indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Its mainly my hands that freeze..... I wear gloves but it seems the wind cuts right through them. What type of gloves do I need neoprene?
These will keep you warm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:

This^^^

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as said above, it's not the trainer that's holding you back on the bike, it's your workouts or lack of recovery. Indoor cycling is tough on the mind, but can do wonders for the legs. No stoplights interrupting your intervals, no riders in your group going too hard or too easy, no poorly placed downhills. In shor, nothing to distract you from your set. I get "better" training on the trainer without a doubt.

Treadmill sets for running can be better or worse than being outside but have some benefits as well.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running a little on the treadmill but only to the tune of 10-15 miles a week, although my run is improving. I think I definatly need to work on the bike more than the run. //Quote.

Unless you're injured look at the above. (if you're looking to get faster)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: To Freeze or not to Freeze? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear "lobster claw" gloves similar to what Brushman posted. I can only wear them when it is below 25F or my hands will be soaked with sweat. Neoprene gloves are good for when it is raining, but I wouldn't wear them when it's below freezing.
Quote Reply