Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Titanflex Build Part 2
Quote | Reply
I finished the build with SRAM Red TT group just in time for 2012 Muncie Endurathon 70.3 Ironman (bummer the race was shortened due to extreme heat). I only averaged 22.89mph due to lack of training... A move from Michigan (Detroit suburbs) to Bloomington, Indiana in June killed my training this year - setting up a new house eats up the time. FYI - Bloomington has fantastic riding on road (super hilly, curvy, nice pavement) or dirt (Brown County State Park Rocks!)

The build came in at 18.6 lbs with pedals, water cage and computer... very competitive for a size XL Triathlon Bike. The ride is fast & very smooth with the Titanium boom and tubeless tires. 2012 SRAM red works very well, especially the new brake design. I went with semi-aero Rolf Vigor SL wheels to save weight for all the hill climbing around Bloomington. Looking forward to 2013 riding!!!!

Much thanks to Titanflex Tom Piszkin for the excellent component pricing and advice!

Enjoy the build data & pics!

Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [GTOscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it. Hope it treats you well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proving that stupid-light can overcome any anchor-imitating frame...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what would look wicked on that? HED 3s, aww yeah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
You know what would look wicked on that? HED 3s, aww yeah.

Agreed! I had HED3's on an old softride powerwing and loved'em. I'm thinking MadFiber carbon clinchers down the road (60mm frt/66mm rear) at 1,300g for the set! but at $2,900 that's $2.23 per gram - OUCH! I'm going to have to save a few years for those...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks terrible! And it's not that light at almost 19lbs. What possessed you to build this? Is it super aero?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some Stealth Black FLOs would look sweet on there too!

TriRig Omega brakes too!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice
How do you rate the Hutch tubeless tires with the Rolf wheels? Are they hard to mount? Performance?

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use those. That was the OP.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:

Yeah, my frame is on the heavy side, but you gotta remember it is a size XL (~60cm) and offers rider suspension and semi-custom geometry like few other bikes can match.

I'd love to see Tom Piszkin (Titanflex Inventor) have a carbon "rear triangle" created with aero shaping and bond this to the aluminum front half... maybe take a pound off the frameset? That would get it more competitive weight wise and increase aero performance as well. Just doing the back half in carbon (one size fits all frame sizes) rather than the entire bike may keep cost in check, but as it is the bike rides fast and smooth - If you ever get the chance to ride a Titanflex, go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTOscott wrote:
brider wrote:

Yeah, my frame is on the heavy side, but you gotta remember it is a size XL (~60cm) and offers rider suspension and semi-custom geometry like few other bikes can match.

I'd love to see Tom Piszkin (Titanflex Inventor) have a carbon "rear triangle" created with aero shaping and bond this to the aluminum front half... maybe take a pound off the frameset? That would get it more competitive weight wise and increase aero performance as well. Just doing the back half in carbon (one size fits all frame sizes) rather than the entire bike may keep cost in check, but as it is the bike rides fast and smooth - If you ever get the chance to ride a Titanflex, go for it!

With three Softrides in my stable, I see no need.

Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
GTOscott wrote:
brider wrote:

"With three Softrides in my stable, I see no need.
"

I'm a former softride owner, but my powerwing (size XL) weighed 22.57lbs with HED3 wheels and heavier parts than are on my Titanflex.
The Softride Powerwing frame was 1990g, but the beam was 732g (excluding the seat clamp) for a combined total of 2,722g vs the Titanflex at 2,458 for frame + beam.
All things/components being equal the Softride would be 264g or .58 lbs heavier. (Other softride models like the Rocketwing or FASTT are probably more similar weight wise to the Titanflex)

I really liked my old softride, but it only had 650c wheels which looked goofy on a size XL frame, so I sold it and got a 700c Titanflex.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTOscott wrote:
I'm a former softride owner, but my powerwing (size XL) weighed 22.57lbs with HED3 wheels and heavier parts than are on my Titanflex.
The Softride Powerwing frame was 1990g, but the beam was 732g (excluding the seat clamp) for a combined total of 2,722g vs the Titanflex at 2,458 for frame + beam.
All things/components being equal the Softride would be 264g or .58 lbs heavier. (Other softride models like the Rocketwing or FASTT are probably more similar weight wise to the Titanflex)

I really liked my old softride, but it only had 650c wheels which looked goofy on a size XL frame, so I sold it and got a 700c Titanflex.

My road TiCycles Softride is something like 20 with both water bottles full, and no nods to weight-weenie parts.

Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
art wrote:
That looks terrible! And it's not that light at almost 19lbs. What possessed you to build this? Is it super aero?

Hey - thanks for the "Artful" response :) I can appreciate that the Titanflex design asthetic is not for everyone, but to my eyes it is Saawweeeet!

Aerodynamics are debatably on par with the Cervelo P3, the industry standard run of the mill superbike. (The Titanflex needs a more aero "rear triangle" to elevate its game further)

It's ok you don't like it, I didn't build it for you, but if you want to learn more about it here is a link to the Titanflex homepage:
http://www.titanflexbikes.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

TriRig Omega brakes too!

The Titanflex "Transition" frame is a cool looking ride and those wheels are icing on the cake! I'd like to setup a dedicated road bike with drop bars (no aerobars) with a Transition some day - I do a big tour each year called the Hilly Hundred near Bloomington, IN every October and a bike such as this would be perfect for those streches with less than perfect pavement. Since my Titanflex is set up with shifters out on the aerobars it's not as convienent for group riding... Also, fun to have a unique bike that is a conversation starter - Titanflex's excel in this aspect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Transition. It's such a versatile bike. I plan on eventually getting a new group with some cleaner cockpit cabling. As far as the uniqueness, I've only ever seen two other Titanflex bikes in person!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
Nice
How do you rate the Hutch tubeless tires with the Rolf wheels? Are they hard to mount? Performance?
Tire mounting required some effort. I recall I had to use levers. Overall I'd say about a 7.5 on a 10 scale with 10 being very difficult. The combination so far with about 300 miles is all good. No flats and the tires hold air with Stan's sealant in them about as well as a tube between rides. I run tubeless in my mountain bikes with Stans ZTR rims and road bike with Shimano Ultegra tubeless rims so the Rolf's are my first attempt at tubless without being a tubless designed rim. So far so good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTOscott---glad you are happy with your build and hope it serves you well sir.
I love my NON-Double diamond Zipp 2001 and 3001. :-)
--------------------------

2011 Broward County 60-64M Sprint Tri Champion
2011 1st place 60-64M Race Troops Sprint Tri
2012 1st place 60-64M Spring Training Sprint Tri
2013 1st place 60-64M Bone Island HIM
2013 1st place 60-64M Tri-Miami International Tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

TriRig Omega brakes too!

If I had a "Transition" Titanflex frame such as yours, I'd be tempted to shrink wrap some clear plastic around the frame as an aerodynamic experiment... All in the name of FUN! Find some monster downhill and see if top speed (coasting) improves any...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, you really need some curvature to make that effective. Completely flat sides wills tall out very quickly.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Transition with a road drop bar setup you say? Like this? =D

I built her up early this year and have done 10+ centuries, 3x double centuries, 2x triple centuries, and a cross country relay(a century a day for 10 days) with Team Will.

I also happen to have those exact same Flo Wheels which will soon be put into use! I am in the process of reconfiguring my Transition into a tri bike which I hope to ride in my first Ironman next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice classy response. Kudos to you for keeping it civil.
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [dummey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dummey wrote:
A Transition with a road drop bar setup you say? Like this? =D

I built her up early this year and have done 10+ centuries, 3x double centuries, 2x triple centuries, and a cross country relay(a century a day for 10 days) with Team Will.

I also happen to have those exact same Flo Wheels which will soon be put into use! I am in the process of reconfiguring my Transition into a tri bike which I hope to ride in my first Ironman next year.

I LOVE IT! Looks like "Broken Leg Guy" has some competition! You've pounded out some serious miles in 2012 - I'm jealous! Great choice for those double centuries...the most I've ever ridden in one day is 112miles and I was crying like a baby afterwards (IM Louisville 2008 in 94 degree humid heat with blast force winds!
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex Build Part 2 [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Unfortunately, you really need some curvature to make that effective. Completely flat sides wills tall out very quickly.

Chris

Would a cut to perfect fit flat plane of thin carbon fiber placed between the Transition frame's tubes be worthwhile in your estimate? This would'nt weigh much and would provide curvature.

Maybe rigid cardboard would work for a test before making a cabon piece...

We need to talk Broken Leg Guy into an experiment!
Quote Reply

Prev Next