Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please
Quote | Reply
I'm considering the purchase of a Titan Flex bicycle, and would appreciate any opinions, good, bad, or otherwise on the brand, dealings with the company, any experience with the bike, etc.

Background: Many years of cycling experience (tris, road racing, etc.). I've ridden traditional diamond frames AND a Softride extensively, so I'm no stranger to the beam concept.

The new bike would be my primary bike, utilized for all of my cycling needs: Short and long tris, road racing, and ultracycling.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [press] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a TitanFlex. It's a great bike. With 5 different frame sizes and four different beam spring rates, it can be made to fit any body type. This is one of only a few bikes that could fill all your needs.

Tom Piszkin, the designer and owner of TitanFlex will answer all your questions, no matter how trivial they may seem. He's a really nice guy. I know 'cause I emailed him with questions for about two months before I finally bought mine. I suggest you bombard him with questions and you'll see that he'll reply within a day or two. If your interested in saving some bucks, ask him if he's got any used bikes for sale. Every once in a while, he retires one of his "demo fleet" bikes that he takes to different triathlons for people to test ride.

Go ahead and email him at TitanFlex@cox.net or call him at (619)-334-7222.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I could go on and on about how much I love my bike.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the titan flex is my dream bike. i like it because it seems more simple and more durable then the soft ride. i will lust for it for as long as i will lust after a c40.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding TitanFlex for about 5 years now... Awesome bike. Highly adjustable, light, fast. I use it for all my cycling, long, short, racing, commuting, you name it... I've taken mine through 2 ironman races. Even though I'm an 11-12 hour age grouper, my last bike split average was 21.5 mph! I just can't imagine riding a century on a standard frame. Ouch! Nothing beats the cushy ride of that titanium top tube... You have to get used to it, and I would not recommend a saddle mount bottle cage. I have 'ejected' enough water bottles to have figured that out. I suppose you are already familiar with that since you have ridden Softride. You will have to adjust your stroke and so forth to compensate for the motion of the boom, but once you get used to it, it is Sooooo nice. Bottom line, the bike rides great, looks great, goes fast. I would definitely recommend it.

p.s. What the other guy said about Tom is totally true. What a great guy! Personalized service, stands behind his product. He will make sure you are happy...

p.s.s. Actually I think the boom made my stroke smoother. It forced me to 'even it out'. A hidden bonus I guess...

- Max in San Diego
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried out the TitanFlex last February and it was love at first test drive! Luckily for me, Tom is a triathlon coach at UCSD, where I train regularly, so I got to learn firsthand about the TitanFlex design and had no doubts about buying one this season... TitanFlex gives you wings (almost like Red Bull does!).

I decided to check out the TitanFlex since I had signed up for an Ironman this year. I figured that I could really use the boom design in those long rides, and now I wished I had bought it even for my shorter triathlons! Coming from a diamond frame, it took me a couple of rides to get used to the suspended boom but it was well worth it since I've barely felt the road even in the couple of centuries I've done. Plus, the flexible design lets you adjust the boom's length and seat's height and angle to achieve your most efficient pedaling stroke... my average speed is 2-3mph faster than with last year's bike.

I really like this bike and could go on and on, too. If you have technical questions, Tom will definitely answer them by email with engineering precision. And regarding those water bottles on the seat, I use the Aqua Rack system by Profile Design and none of my bottles have flown out during the 860 miles or so that I've ridden for the past six months.

Hang loose, -Eladio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly encourage you to purchase a TItanFlex cycle. I have been working on completing a video for Tom the designer about why I think the TItanFlex is an excellent cycle for riders. I was not asked to do this video, I thought that Tom deserved my help because of his professionalism and how well the bike is designed. I am Ph.D. in exercise physiology and metabolism who has been cycling for about 30 years at many different levels from racing to cross-country tourer. I am the Director of the Clinical Exercise Physiology Program at Benedictine University in Lisle, IL (Chicago area). I switched cycles about 3 years back from an italian geometry to a TitanFlex after being in a major accident in which I ruptured 3 lower back disks. A fixed cycle geometry did not allow me the adequate adjustments needed to allow me to train with my new biomechanical limitations resulting from my injury without aggravating the injuries. Once I switched to the TitanFlex, the macro and micro adjustments possible with a TitanFlex really helped me find the best position for riding and rehab. Combined with the shock absorbing ability without huge power transfer losses to the cranks really sold me on the bike. If you need to asked me specific questions feel free to leave me a contact number. [jazzercb@mac.com]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Titanflex for almost 3 years now. I did Wildflower and Ironman California in 2001 on the bike and it performed wonderfully. I am very tall (6'5") and the adjustability of the beam and seat are a godsend.

I can also vouch for Tom's service. One of the components I bought ended up having a defect and Tom took care of it immediately....no questions asked.

Good luck with your purchase.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have just emailed tom with a few questions about his bikes and got a reponse with in 30 minutes. this guy has class. get a titan flex.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotta second this mention of Tom and his products. I purchased one of the old TitanFlex frames just to get a feel for the boom bike idea. Tom was very, very helpful with some of my questions. Furthermore, now that I've done one 100 mile ride on the TitanFlex I can tell you it is a whole lot more comfortable than a traditional double diamond frame. Mine has only a very slight bounciness that is kind to old backs yet delivers most of the power to the rear wheel. I give my frame an A+ for design for triathlons. The new carbon fiber bikes are, I am told, slightly better because they are more aero and are even more adjustable. If you don't want the BarcoLounger effect of a Softride or do want the effect but want something different, TitanFlex qualifies.

If you buy one of these bikes you will be comfortable and fast, assuming you are already fast. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excellent service-Tom will work with you on most anything. tech info, support via email or phone even at races where he may be exhibiting his bike.

I bought because it will travel in an airline "legal size" container.
forget paying that $50-75 fee

in race configuration (tri) bike can wight as little as 17.5lbs and in training form under 19.5 lbs.

Climbs hills excellently and cruises on the flats.

Also, all components sold on the site when bought at time of bike are an OUTSTANDING price. don't miss these deals

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question that the company (Tom) is great and easy to deal with. Tom stands behind his product and is very easy to deal with.

After 10 years riding Litespeeds I got a TF in the winter of 1999. At the end of my first summer with it something weird happen to the paint job, the silver portions kinda went cloudy. I asked Tom if there was anything he could do for me. His solution instead of trying to repaint was to send me a complete new frame, at NO charge!!! The paint job on the new frame has remained flawless for the past three years. I've had numerous other dealings with Tom buying wheels and other parts since and every single transaction has been a pleasure.

As for the frame itself, if you like a Softride you will love the TF. It has far less bounce and you can set it up (with a stiff boom) so there's WAY less static compression than he Sortride. I spent my first winter with the TF on a CompuTrainer and found it took very little time to get used to the slight saddle movement. After that first 300 hours or so of looking at power numbers in a controlled environment I've concluded that there's no way one could assume that having the saddle not in a fixed position has a negative impact on power production and quite possibily the impact could be positive. Certainly out in the real world when one doesn't get as beat up by bad pavement the end result is the ability to produce more power. I've never not had an SRM powermeter on my TF.

Back when I purchased my TF I also got Tom 'together' with John Cobb so a TF ended up being tested in the Texas A&M wind tunnel. The results were very good but the most interesting piece of information was that a HED3 on the rear of a TF was just as aero as when there was a disc back there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too wish to sing the praises of Tom and TitanFlex. I just got mine this past spring after numerous emails to get comfortable with the order. After all, this was going to be my dream bike with a Campy Record 10 Triple. There were a few details to be worked out and Tom more than bent over backwards to make everything perfect.

Now, as far as the bike itself. I just finished the 2003 1200KM Paris-Brest-Paris. I had bought the bike anticipating PBP, but never expected it to benefit me like it did. The PBP route is mostly out in the country. Roads in and around the periodic village are smooth asphalt. However, between villages, the roads are like a micro cobblestone. Not the typical large cobblestones, but enough roughness in the surface too get a constant strong vibration. Everyone, well the vocal ones anyway, was complaining about their backside being so sore from the roads. I NEVER felt it. The beam completely insulated me from the road vibration, and as a result, delayed the inevitable total fatigue.

At one of the controles, a German cyclist on a Softride started talking to me. He said that he had a opportunity to ride behind me a ways back and that was the first that he had seen a Titanflex on the road. He said that he felt like a fool for the way that he was bouncing all over the place compared to me. That just confirmed one of the points of my evaluation, that the titanium beam would absorb the vibration, but not bounce around like every Softride I had seen.

Would I do it over again, buy a Titanflex? Absolutely. If anyone wants any further discussion, reply to the post and I will get back to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [TTist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comment about the H3 being as aero as a disc on a Titanflex is in line with a previous forum topic re: seat-tubeless aerodynamics compared to those bikes with a seat tube...interesting observation, thanks.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [TF-Tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting. I currently own a Softride, and although I kind of dig it, I don't think I'd buy another. I've been fitted professionally and am fairly happy with my position, but can't climb like I could on a rigid frame. I've heard other Softride owners make similar comments as well. I don't think it's a weight issue, as I've never owned a particularly light bike (nor am I a lightweight). How does the Titanflex compare with a traditional frame for climbing?

Also, is there any lateral shear when cornering hard and fast? Given that it relies on the properties of a round ti tube rather than a hinge and carbon plates sliding on elastomer for suspension, it seems logical to me that the boom would flex in all directions?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The climbing capabilities of the Titanflex are outstanding. The body is aluminum and with the chainstays and what would be considered the seatstays in such close proximity, it makes the transfer of pedal power very efficient. There is no noticeable flex in the back end. When I decide to accelerate, it jumps out ahead amazingly fast. You can see a picture of a triathalon version on the homepage of the web page at www.titanflex-usa.com . As far as cornering, I have not pushed the envelope very hard. I was in a bad crash a couple years ago on a fast downhill curve and I am still a little tentative on the curves yet. Another friend of mine who has a Titanflex also has reported surprisingly escaping more than one too-fast downhill run thanks to the corner grabbing attributes of the Titanflex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gosh, what can i possibly add to the praises already sung for tom p. and his TITAN FLEX bikes? i agree wholeheartedly with every comment in every post. in response to the one drawback mentioned, that of the seat mounted bottle cages, i have the *profile design*cage that mounts to the seat post. i haven't had a problem in over 3,000 miles !

my decision to buy a TITAN FLEX was dictated out of physical necessity. 25 years ago i shattered a vertebrea in my lower back. the result was a bone graft and spinal fusion of L2, L3 and L4. once the body cast was removed, i never looked back. that is, until my first triathlon 2 years ago. i couldn't stay on the bike for more than 15 miles without severe back discomfort. i was sure my first olympic distance triathlon would prove to be my last! ENTER the TITAN FLEX ! i had the opportunity to borrow one of the first TF bike's made. i was sold on my first ride ! i placed my order within the week. one of the best things about buying a TITAN FLEX is that there is no sales hype whatsoever. tom is your only contact and seriously, what you see is what you get. he is bright, knowledgeable and patient. i have learned so much about basic bike mechanics since getting to know tom. he takes the time to explain any questions i have (and i have had more than a few in the past 18 months!). he has cheerfully changed out my derailluer not once but 3 times! if you are fortunate enough to live in san diego, he will keep your bike tuned up for life, at no charge!

one final note, i bought my TITAN FLEX because my back problems demanded it. would i be riding a TITAN FLEX if my back was 100% ? you bet i would !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [ckladdon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as the bottle cages off the back of the saddle launching bottles, I just use an elastic band wrapped under the cage and over the top of the bottle. When the bottle on the DT is emply I hold onto it with my teeth, reach back and flip the elastic off, then just bring the full bottle forward onto the DT and put the emply bottle 'off the back'.

My experience has been that only full bottles ever get ejected from 'off the back' cages and with just the addition of the elastic I've never had another one jump out. I think it's great being able to carry three bottles because it means fewer water stops. I've never used the cage mount which Tom has under the DT.

If we're looking for something negative to say about the TF the only thing I can come up with is the rather unconventional noise it makes when hitting bumps hard, kinda like banging on a drum. I doubt there's anything that could be done about this as it seems to be the nature of the hollow monocoque body design. Maybe if the body were filled with foam or something, but that would just add some weight and maybe I'm the only who notices the noise???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, Tom is a great guy to work with and the TitanFlex is a wonderful machine.

I used an XL (I'm 6'5") on this year's solo RAAM and can say that the bike made the race. In such an event comfort as well as efficiency is so mandatory and the Titanflex delivers both. The bike is quite aero. Also, the subtle seat movement isolates the rider very well and is damped enough to not create a "pogo effect". The second half of the race was faster than the first due alot to the virtues of this bike.

Also, I agree about the deals Tom gives on components acquired with a new bike purchase. They can't be beat.

Rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titan-Flex Rules:
  1. Very Fast
  2. Durable, very low maintenance
  3. Climbs Very Well
  4. Very, Very, Stable Downhill
  5. Less Expensive than Softride
  6. Asorbs pot holes like a Lazy Boy Recliner. What Pot Holes?
  7. Tom is a God Father of the Tri Sport, he is the best to work with.

I am very satisfied with my Titan-Flex.

I hope this helps, Curt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the most interesting piece of information was that a HED3 on the rear of a TF was just as aero as when there was a disc back there."

Wow, I wish I would have known this before I bought my renn disk when I already had a set of Specialized Trispokes. I could have saved myself the $350.

E-Z

Quote Reply
nice subscription drive [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I've never seen ten people sign up within 24 hours to all post on the same thread. Keep it going, it will go a long way towards Slowman being able to raise his advertising rates and earn a decent living.

Gerard.
Quote Reply
Re: nice subscription drive [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something rotten in the state of Denmark?
Quote Reply
Re: Titan Flex bicycles...opinions, please [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On climbs, the TF is very easy to rock side to side. The stand-over height is comperable to that of any regular frame. I would bet that it has the one of the lowest if not the lowest centers of gravity of any bike. The bottom bracket and rear triangle are very stiff. One climbing ride, me and a friend switched bikes. He rode my TF and I rode his Cervelo soloist. I was really surprised by the fact that the bottom bracket on the soloist didn't feel as rigid as the bottom bracket on the TitanFlex. It must be the fact that, because of its monocoque design, more of the frame is welded to the bottom brecket, making it more rigid. My friend is a hard-core crit racer and was shocked at how well my TF accelerated up the hills, on flats, and how stable it felt on fast technical desecents.

And yes, you are right, the beam (boom?) on the TitanFlex flexes equally in all directions because it is a titanium tube inserted into an aluminum tube which is welded to the aluminum monocoque frame. The beauty of the TitanFlex boom design lies in its simplicity.

E-Z

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re power, I just finished by 3rd ride on the TitanFlex with my PowerTap wheel. Two of the rides were on the Computrainer. I experienced no drop in wattage, and, in fact, my wattage for one of the rides was up a few watts. Although I worried about the bouncing affecting my pedal stroke, that hasn't happened. My spin scan numbers are usually in the mid to high 70's and haven't moved downward. All in all, I'd say the frame design, though not a traditional double diamond which I THOUGHT I had to have, is very good.

And, again, Tom is the customer's dream salesman! Heck, I can't even get an email from Frank Renn and I got about 7 from Tom in the space of two days! He sent me one of them at about 5:00 a.m. Cali time!!!! Apparently, he's a tri coach at UCSD and has to be there early for practice. Wish I had that guy behind me....

-Robert

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: nice subscription drive [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure if you email Tom Piszkin at TitanFlex@cox.net or call him at (619)-334-7222, he'd extend a professional courtesy and let you test ride one too.

BTW, I rode a soloist and decided to buy one to race crits. If you like, I can send you a photo of my TitanFlex next to my Soloist. There's plenty of love (and money) to go around.

E-Z

Quote Reply

Prev Next