Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TitanFlex Rocks!
Quote | Reply
Just got my new TitanFlex unpacked and fitted by Demerly and company. Couldn't wait to get it on the road and it is everything I thought it would be and more. It is aleady comfortable and fast. Once I get adapted to the new position I'll by ready to ride all day everyday.

Thanks to AJ Franke and Titan for the guidance and answering the inane questions. Bikesport (Mike specifically) you guys rule. Tom at TitanFlex you have a winner.

See you at the races!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally fired up my production Titanflex this week. First ride was 20.3 miles in just under an hour, no problem. Well, except for the fact that my bottom bracket died.

I should get this puppy up to Lake Placid in a couple weeks, if I can get my construction project under control.

I weighed the bike with my Zipp 303s. I was stunned. It came in at 16.5 pounds. I expected at least one pound more.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad on the bottom bracket. Better now than later though. I went with the FSA compact crank set because of weaker climbing ability. Going to have to get used to adjusting the front derailure as I shift through the gears.

I am just so impressed with how smooth the ride is. It takes the road chatter that goes through you and virtually eliminates it. I look forward to some 50-100 milers to see if I can stay more consistent in my efforts like you found in your test. I can't see how comfort can be a problem any way. I did have to watch the HRT because it was so much fun!

Again, thanks for the report on the bike test earlier - it made my decision that much easier.

By the way, that powder black looks fast just sitting there. It's almost like it is saying, "Take me for ride and let's hammer!" I guess the newness will wear off, but for right now I'll go with the pumped up feeling.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the FSA compact crank as well. I guess we are just not going to get a reliable ISIS BB, so we just have to deal. That component is just going to be suspect and I will have to be prepared accordingly.

For me, the fact that it looks fast sitting there is very important. Transition is my best event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larry, that is a very, very nice bike. It is a pleasure working on nice gear. Good luck on your new bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a good thing concerning the bottom bracket. I haven't really looked at the warrenty paper work, but would expect that it would be fairly good. Of course that does you squat as the bike sits there awaiting parts. Keep me posted on that part. Maybe I should buy another so I can replace and ride while awaiting warantee replacement/repair.

Larry

Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That means alot to me coming from you. I will keep in mind the Easton wheel set when I upgrade next spring.

Larry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are using an ISIS BB, I think you really need to have a spare available. I don't know about the warranty. Maybe I should send it back.

I will be using the TitanFlex in Lake Placid soon. I have logs of my efforts there over the years with my P3, so I should be able to post meaningful results in the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have the FSA compact crank as well. I guess we are just not going to get a reliable ISIS BB, so we just have to deal. That component is just going to be suspect and I will have to be prepared accordingly.

For me, the fact that it looks fast sitting there is very important. Transition is my best event.

I just got an FSA Isis bb for my road bike. Have there been problems with this thing? What went wrong on yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Larry,

I remember you posting several months ago while you considered a TF. Glad to hear you got one. A year later, I still love riding mine and look forward to getting on it more now that nicer weather has arrived in Toronto.

Tom also talked me into powder black. The whole bike is black - frame, wheels, crank, chainrings, tape. On seeing it, "Simple Stevie's" comment was "Lord Vader, your bike is ready!"

Enjoy.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art, what is the scoop wit ISIS BB's. I've put around 8,000K on one of mine and it still seems fine.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an American Classic BB which is super light. It looks like the spindle rocks a bit. Not fun.

Maybe it is just me, but this puppy is not doing the job. I hate it when I lose confidence in a part.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I have never heard of that mileage on an ISIS BB. What are you using?

I just ordered an FSA ISIS BB. Platinum Pro or something like that. Not the one with the titantium, but the one that goes for about $50. It should do the job for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it. It really is a phenomenal ride, isn't it? I have a hard time riding anything else any more. I'd seriously consider getting one in road form if I had the extra money, but, I'd still be illegal for some rides...heck, I don't do USCF stuff any more anyway! I just might do it!

One note, IF you have any side-to-side swaying, Tom has a nifty aluminum bar insert to put into the boom...knocks it right out.

Oh, I was a minute faster at Lake Murray today on my TF. Ran a couple of minutes faster, too. But, last year I was recovering from pneumonia/bronchitis! All I can really say is that I was very comfortable during the race as long as I was on my bike!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Platinum Pro or something like that. Not the one with the titantium, but the one that goes for about $50. It should do the job for a while.

That's the one I got with a pair of FSA "Energy" compact cranks. Only two rides so far.

I can't figure that any problems would have anything to do with the "ISIS" designation -- isn't that just the name for the spline pattern? Even with the right spline, a company needs to make a good bb.

Good luck with the new part, Art. If mine gives me any grief, I'll let you know.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [rjackson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't gone totally to the dark side, but I love the powder black. Bar tape, Tom went with the gray and black and same with the tires. I got the FSA compact crank set so there is a little chrome with the chain ring but the cranks are black. Looks like a classy woman dressing in her little black dress with just enough bangles to really highlight the already outstanding looks. I look forward to taking her to the races! (Now I just have to get in good enough shape she really goes as fast as she looks.)

Larry

Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titan,
Appreciate the feedback when I had questions. If I am this impressed after one ride, I can imagine what it will be like when I get adjusted to the new lower and more aerodynamic position. I'm tapering for a marathon this weekend, but the next couple of weeks will see the adaptations take effect.

Didn't notice any swaying, but I will definitly keep the alunimum bar in mind. Not being the most powerful guy in the world I would venture to say it won't be a problem; a spinner not a masher.

Looking forward to some nice long comfortable rides and a few really fast races. Just the short run the other day was easier than previous bricks.

Larry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larry,

One other hint, now that you actually have a TitanFlex, if want to change boom stiffness to fit certain conditions...mark where your saddle is in relation to your BB and your handlebars, then slide the boom out some as you move your seat forward. This lengthens the amount of boom outside the receiver, therefore enabling it to have a bit more give. Of course, do the opposite to make it stiffer. If I know I'm going to be up on the rivet because I have a mostly flat TT, I'll move the boom out some so that my rivet-area isn't taking such big shots from the road...you have to also remember that when you get really far forward, less and less weight is being supported by the boom, so you can adjust it some to fine-tune the ride quality. On bad roads, I'll move it out. You get the idea. I didn't try and tell you about this ability to fine tune your equipment, because until you get one, it just seems complicated. After seeing it in person, I'm sure it makes sense in an elegant, simple way. I sure love my TitanFlex.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the hint. I can see how that would work really easily. I guess once I get over the spoiled part (I can't believe how comfortable) then I can do the fine tuning. Tom was VERY inovative when he came up with this concept.

Larry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the dark side. Have fun and enjoy the later miles when everyone else is in pain and you are getting stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bike just gets better and better. Did my first time trial last week and it was amazing - shaved 2 min off my previous best time. Ran a marathon Saturday and then did a nice recovery ride on Monday. Had tweaked the saddle (make sure it is slightly nose down about a half a bubble on the bullet level so when you load the beam it is acually level.) and it rode like a dream. Went for a 40 miler today and encountered the roughest road yet. I used to dread it, but it was quite tolerable. The hills were great, into the wind is a breeze and the flats are super fast. The legs were starting to talk to me at the end of the ride (marathon recovery is a bear) but butt comfort was not an issue. Still a bit of adaptation to the new position, however, this looks to be a long love affair. Can't wait for the first century.

I'm not the fastest thing in the world, but I'm measurably faster on this bike. If you are in the market for a new bike and are willing to think outside the box contact Tom and he will work with you. Your body will appreciate it.

Larry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone tell me how much those cost (Terminator) with lets say minimal ultegra and average race wheels. What are we talking about here. Also, I ride a 60cm. I was looking at their geometry and I'm between L and xxl, but the gap is large. Lastly, can they remove that logo, "Terminator," I think some of us would be the butt of jokes, moreso than I already am. I think if you are going to ride around with "Terminator" you have to back it up. I'm just not there right now. I was thinking a good alternative logo for some of us would be "Terminated" or "Terminex." Or how about just Titan-Flex on the downtube?
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [DarthTriVidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darth,

I'm sure Tom would work with you on what you want. I'm a perfect fit for the medium 650 (5'9" @ 150), but there is lots of adjustability for short legs torso or flexibility issues. I upgraded to a compact crank and ultegra with it put together and it was right in the ball park with other bikes. Mine is powder black with just the TitanFlex decal on the down tube; exceptionally fine look.

Being a MOPer I understand your alternative logo, but I will get better since I can go longer without getting fatigued or overly uncomfortable. Maybe even move up to the front part of the MOP division!

Go to the web site and you can price one out with what you want on it and it will tell you the price. Send Tom an email with your questions (or he might chime in here). Won't cost you a thing and you may get a sweet bike if you get the answers you need.

Larry

Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Rocks! [DarthTriVidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom (who is on ST as "TitanFlex") would be best around here to answer your questions. But in case he doesn't, I can tell you that I had a good experience building up my bike with Tom. Instead of using the pricing on his website for groups of components, we started from scratch and priced it "a la carte" picking the individual components based on various discussions. The lettering on the frame is vinyl and could be removed if you wanted (although I think the Joe Bell custom finish has the letters under a protective coating). My bike has TITANFLEX on it. The Terminator bike is a package Tom and Scott Molina put together.

For customizing, you can go one step further. You can pick your own serial number. In my case, it's my wedding anniversary. Almost brought my wife to tears when she first saw it.

For sizing, I ride something like a 58cm bike. Height is 6'1". Inseam is 36". My TF is a Large.

Cheers,

Rob
Quote Reply