Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tires for winter
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have an aero road bike that I mostly ride in the winter, but also have a QRoo Illicito TT bike. (asymmetrical design, 1 seat stay). The Illicito deflects when I ride hard and has very tight tolerance between the rear wheel and the seat stay. If I use 23mm tires, it rubs the frame. It likes a 19mm tire best so the chances of it rubbing the frame are reduced.

My question is:

Is it a bad idea to use 19mm tires for winter riding outside? What brand or model of tire would be best? I will not be racing on these.

I want to use the same wheel set / tires for the two bikes and don't want to be bothered with changing tires if I want to use my Illicito TT bike.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [pdxtmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you live within 140.6 miles of the arctic circle, my professional opinion is that you're over-thinking things....
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [TheRealSpanky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it rains a ton here. I am concerned that,

1. A 19mm tread will not do well with wet conditions in downhill (which we also have a lot of here)
2. A 19mm tread will not be super comfy. I have ridden lots on a 19mm, so not especially worried about the comfort thing.

Plus I want the tire to last. So far I cannot find a good training tire that is 19mm--they are all racing rubber, which wears fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxtmc wrote:
1. A 19mm tread will not do well with wet conditions in downhill (which we also have a lot of here)
2. A 19mm tread will not be super comfy. I have ridden lots on a 19mm, so not especially worried about the comfort thing.

Plus I want the tire to last. So far I cannot find a good training tire that is 19mm--they are all racing rubber, which wears fast.
That bike sounds terrible.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Cyclocross tire will do ;)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride on wet roads a lot, and prefer as much rubber as possible under me - 23mm is a minimum, 25 or even 28 is better if the bike can handle it. Suggest you either:

1) Run different wheels on the 2 bikes
2) Run at least 23mm tires on your existing wheels and just put the TT bike away until it dries out
3) Buy a TT bike that can handle your enormous power without flexing so much (nice backdoor brag by the way :-))
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIM, depending on the tire and rim combo, a 19mm tire isn't necessarily faster anyway, except in maybe very low yaw with very very smooth roads on narrow rims. Not enough to make up for the drawbacks IMO.

Get some 25mm Gatorskins. Fill then to 90psi. Add some HD tubes and you can almost guarantee no flats. They will last like 10k miles. Train by power. Going slower in cold weather is good, you get less cooling effect.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must have much nicer roads than me. 25mm Gatorskins last less than 1000 miles for me before there are bits of glass and stone getting through in multiple places. Dread to think what they'd look like after 10k! Schwalbe Marathons of some variety are the only thing I've found that can survive more than a few thousand miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you want some big rummy tires like gatorskins or hard case if the roads are a mess. A bike that will accept fenders sounds like the way to go too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like conti Grand Prix Classics, but I am not sure they would fit your frame.

Check out PlanetX bikes. I think they had some awesome deals on Vittoritia Corsas in 19-21c. Not long lasting, but add latex and orange seal and you are good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxtmc wrote:
Hi all,

I have an aero road bike that I mostly ride in the winter, but also have a QRoo Illicito TT bike. (asymmetrical design, 1 seat stay). The Illicito deflects when I ride hard and has very tight tolerance between the rear wheel and the seat stay. If I use 23mm tires, it rubs the frame. It likes a 19mm tire best so the chances of it rubbing the frame are reduced.

My question is:

Is it a bad idea to use 19mm tires for winter riding outside? What brand or model of tire would be best? I will not be racing on these.

I want to use the same wheel set / tires for the two bikes and don't want to be bothered with changing tires if I want to use my Illicito TT bike.

Thanks!

Order the attack/force combo, then just use the attack in back and the force in front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25mm GP4Seasons are my go-to. They aren't as sluggish as the Gators but still last forever and offer excellent flat protection. I add tire liners so that I am less likely to be 'that guy' on group rides. Currently running 23's since that's all the LBS had last I was in, but the 25's do make a difference in comfort if you can stuff 'em on your bike.

I would not ride a 19mm tire under any circumstances, summer or winter. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires for winter [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I finally got some tires, and ended up with Michelin Pro4 Endurance. And yes, I went with the 23mm, not the 20mm. These will be my training tires for winter and come spring I will switch out to a thinner tire. I think I have a black chili in the garage that will do fine.
Quote Reply