Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire sealant
Quote | Reply
I've fallen behind a bit it seems on some easy tech. I've never used tire sealant but it seems to me out of no where everyone and their brother is speaking on how great it is. Could someone recommend a good sealant? Seems most people use the preventative kind. Does it slow down your wheel at all?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it matters I'll be riding GP4K's clinchers with latex tubes on stock wheels from Felt. If I pinch a few more pennies an aero-jacket wheel cover.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding latex and carrying either Pit Stop or Fast'Air, hoping to get a flat so I can try them out, but no luck so far. I don't want the first place I use either of them to be race day.

I'm considering adding 30g of Stan's to each tube. I use Stans on my mountain bike and on my gravel bike (both set up tubeless though) with great success. When I have flatted it's been high up on the sidewall where the sealant doesn't normally flow. Turning the bike on it's side and positioning the puncture at the lowest spot so the sealant pools there has stopped it most of the time. On the two occasions where that didn't work, the bacon strips made by Genuine Innovations worked perfectly.

Adding 30g of sealant to each tube definitely can't make you faster, but I doubt you'd notice it, and you'll be a helluva lot faster than the time it'd take for you to stop and do any type of repair work.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure I read on here somewhere that adding sealant made no differance to rolling resistance ?

I have stans in my tubes and pitstop on the bike. Not had to depend on either yet, touch wood ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an interesting (newby) question:

Do most people put the sealant in after putting the tube/tire on the wheel or is it ok to load up a tube and stash it bike bag (I'm thinking of a flat that I can't inflate and then grab the spare tube to use).

In the old days (from dirt bike riding) there were issues with the sealant pooling from sitting too long, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [tri.bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I have only ever added it on the bike and then added a new valve.

I haven't had any issues with pooling but maybe I am lucky.

I should have said that once my stans has gone I will move onto the liquid pitstop - only to ensure compatibility with the emergency aerosol pitstop.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire sealant [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not rolling resistance, but definitely adds weight (both static and rotational).

I'm just being pedantic, and I doubt you'd notice it, but it's there. I'll probably add some to my tubes this weekend.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply