Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire overinflation--any added benefit?
Quote | Reply
If 120psi is good on a Conti GP4000S is 130psi any better for reducing rolling resistance or will just turn my taint blacker and bluer? Oly distance race so the discomfort time is limited. Is there a limit? Obviously the tire could blow but at what point does this become an issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are 250 lbs it's most likely worse rolling resistance than 120 psig which is worse than 110 psig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who said 120 is good to start with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I learned the lesson the hard way that one can over inflate too much and have the tire blow off the rim, which I have had happen twice.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want a shortcut to the correct answer? How much do you weigh? I'd be willing to bet that 120psi is too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
120 is the recommended pressure for a Conti GP 4000 I remember reading somewhere. I weigh 210 so I'm more prone to pinch flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I believe I learned the lesson the hard way that one can over inflate too much and have the tire blow off the rim, which I have had happen twice.

Just did that on a Zipp 808 FC to see how much air it would lose overnight starting at 115psi. I won't do that again. A nice $80 mistake. the tire was new enough to do my next 2 races on. It's didn't damage the tire visibly, but I won't trust it on a that rim for a race now. Might happen more with latex tubes since they will tend to fill gaps under the tire bead... so a rim with a less pronounces "hook" like a wide Zipp FC rim could cause the tire to come off.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
120 is the recommended pressure for a Conti GP 4000 I remember reading somewhere. I weigh 210 so I'm more prone to pinch flats.

at 210, 120psi is about right.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add the wheels are 23mm Zipp Clincher FC's. Ive been riding between 110-120 psi on several shorter races including a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your probably well off in the range you specified

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Just did that on a Zipp 808 FC to see how much air it would lose overnight starting at 115psi. I won't do that again. A nice $80 mistake. the tire was new enough to do my next 2 races on. It's didn't damage the tire visibly, but I won't trust it on a that rim for a race now. Might happen more with latex tubes since they will tend to fill gaps under the tire bead... so a rim with a less pronounces "hook" like a wide Zipp FC rim could cause the tire to come off.

Mine was also a Zipp 808, that I had put like 120 in it. Plus I had some rim tape stuff. Took that out and now only go to 110. Still using the tire since I assume it was my mistake.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Higher pressure does not equal less rolling resistance. An over-inflated tire doesn't absorb the little bumps in the road so some of your energy gets used vertically, as opposed to straight ahead. The pneumatic tire was a great invention.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I don't believe that high inflation alone causes the tire to come off but rather poor installation... unless you inflated to insane levels that spread the rim apart.

Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I don't believe that high inflation alone causes the tire to come off but rather poor installation... unless you inflated to insane levels that spread the rim apart.

It was multiple things as I posted, air pressure was "just" 120 when it happened. Once going down the RItz Hill at IMLT, then once on my bike rack the day before the race.
The main cause was me trying tuffy inserts in my tire I think. Between that and air pressure. Took the tuffy out, and only go to 110, and have had no issue with the tire since.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No as their max pressure is 120psi......
No as it will increase rolling resistance unless you are on the track (in which case wrong tyre choice anyway)
No as it will decrease the contact patch meaning less grip
No as it will reduce the tyres ability to deform to s surface and provide grip
No as it will make the tyre bounce off every little deformation on the road reducing handling...

YES if you are ever training or racing with me.... cos it'll slow you down...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine, a middle aged woman, crap swimmer, killer cyclist and respectable runner, used to do weekend rides with me. She'd show up at my house, put her bike together and grab the pump out of her car and pump up here tires for the ride. All good

Many times I'd hear her grunting and groaning, only to look around and see her bouncing on the pump, with her feet off the ground, to get the gauge up to 180psi!!!!!!! On a fat day she's max 100lbs! she'd bounce away and get close to 180psi and away we'd ride.

The only advantages I could tell would be that A) she'd have no doubt telling when she flatted (the noise was deafening!) B) any time it was remotely humid, let alone wet, she'd get a really good look at the pavement trying to turn a corner. She seemed to crash her bike every second week. Insane.

She'd claim that the tire had "max 180psi" on the sidewall so that's what she rode them at.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What kind of tire was it? Was it cotton based casing like a Vittoria Corsa? or blown rubber like Conti?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually just inflate to 115 psi. Michelin Lithion. I weigh 195 -200. What pressure should I be riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
116 psig :)

Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 31, 14 3:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
If 120psi is good on a Conti GP4000S is 130psi any better for reducing rolling resistance or will just turn my taint blacker and bluer? Oly distance race so the discomfort time is limited. Is there a limit? Obviously the tire could blow but at what point does this become an issue?

All else being ignored you would then be exceeding the rim's pressure maximum:

http://www.zipp.com/...heel_user_manual.pdf
Do not exceed 125 psi (8.6 Bar) when inflating tires on clincher rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire overinflation--any added benefit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you sir
Quote Reply