Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Question
Quote | Reply
I switched my bike from 10 speed mechanical to 11 speed electronic shifting and there is a good chance the 60/90 wheels I ordered will not show up before I leave for Louisville on Thursday. I don't have the option to use my old aero wheels as I sold them to offset the purchase of the new wheels and I wanted to make the switch from tubular to clinchers as well. Yes, I know poor planning on my part.

So the question, I purchased continental 4000 and latex tubes to put on the new wheels, if the wheels don't show up would you all recommend putting the tires and tubes on the stock wheels? Will there be that big of a time saving as I'm only a MOP athlete?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Question [jztelemark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course you put them on whatever wheel you are going to use. how slow does one have to be to stop caring about throwing time away? use the best equipment you can.

BTW those tires and latex tubes on stock rims are probably a better time saving than your aero wheels with crappy tubes and tires. of course aero wheels and good tubes and tires trumps all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent a set of 11 speed wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Question [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Rent a set of 11 speed wheels.

Just out of curiosity. How does that work? I've got wheels, I'm good. I'm just curious about the business of the rentals.
I'm sure you can rent them locally and such, but I always see rental places in the race FAQs, packets, and online pre-info stuff. I assume it's a couple small outfits bouncing around to the bigger races renting out wheels? Or is it Zipp proper, the manufacturer...just looking at it as some marginal revenues and 'advertising'? Do they ship them to you and you ship them back? Do you just show up at their designated 'spot'? If so, do they change out the cassette for you or do you need a whip and a wrench?

Pure curiosity. You'd think it'd be a fairly healthy side business for someone who's showing up regularly at the big races for some other reason. Unless, of course, it's just UPSing back and forth.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Question [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS rents wheels, but there are companies that rent wheels. Check out http://www.racedaywheels.com/im-events/
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Question [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's who I was thinking about. Racedaywheels. I see them 'advertising'.
I'll have to check them out. I've got my own wheels now. I was just curious about how they operate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savings (wattage) from reduced rolling resistance is proportional to speed (ie. if you save 20W at 40k/hr then you save 10W at 20k/hr).

Total energy saved for the ride is the same regardless of speed (i.e. 20W * 40k/h *1h = 10W * 20k/hr * 2h).

Some good tires and latex tubes can easily save you the energy noted above, so def. use them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply