Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months [UPDATE: FTP is now 296W. BOOM]
Quote | Reply
For a little background, I'm 5'11'', 25 y/o and weigh 154 lbs (7.5% BF). I've got one year of two 70.3s, a marathon, many sprints/olys, and just got a power meter. I have 5 months until my A-race, a 70.3, and want to improve on last year's split of 2:29:30 and go sub-5.

I didn't train with power last year and just started to...did an FTP test and and calculated 242W).

I'm racing American Triple-T in Portsmouth, Ohio and want to get more efficient on the bike for that FOR SURE, but my ultimate goal is to get my Wattage up for the 70.3 I'm racing in 3 weeks following Triple-T.

Any tips, tricks, and general roadmaps would be helpful (other than the obvious, ride your bike more). Thanks!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 23, 16 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty similar in age and build to you. I raised my FTP from (235-295) in a little over 7 months, by burying myself in trainerroad 2-3 times a week (usually around an hour each) with solid interval (v02 max, sprint, sweetspot) workouts in addition to tempo rides on the weekends. For me I knew the ride was good if I was cursing my coaches name halfway through and by the end all sources of noise in the pain cave were eliminated outside of the fan, my breathing, and the bike (incredible amount of concentration to sustain the efforts). If I got off the bike and was dizzy with legs trembling even better. Good luck it is a feasible, but painful goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. I know I over-biked last year for my 2:30 split, because my run sucked shit, but I know I can focus and embrace the suck this year (last year I biked twice a week and usually with a group riding at a single, sustainable pace for the majority.)

I want to more efficiently use my time this year and spend some productive hours in the pain cave.

My coach said I should be able to get 4% growth every month (over 5 months, that'll hopefully be 20% increase in power....120% of 242 = 290), and I know he'll help get me there with appropriate workouts, but it just helps to hear what other people are doing and have done.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jan 7, 16 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That gain might be doable, the odds would be way increased assuming:

you haven't done an organized periodized training approach before and now you are going to (thus there is some low hanging fruit out there).

You don't bother with things like running and swimming because to put this much into your legs is likely going to really trash the hell out of you

You aren't restricting calories and trying to lose weight or anything because the effort required will require proper fueling and not starvation

you are able to suffer a lot.

To get where you are talking at the weight you are at would be 4.2 watts/kg FTP, that is not Wiggins, but it is better than probably 99% of the people on this board and probably 99.9% of the people that will be at your race. It is also right at a 20% increase in FTP, which is REALLY huge.

It might be doable for you, I think it is a very lofty goal.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Last edited by: Jim Martin: Jan 7, 16 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interval work where you're doing 2 to 5 minutes above your current FTP with 1-3 minutes rest. Sets of 4-5 etc. for example:

4 x (5' @ 105% FTP, 2' @ 60% FTP)
or
5 x (3.5' @ 110% FTP, 1.5' @ 60% FTP)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gain 30-40 pounds. Easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Gain 30-40 pounds. Easy.

That would only put him at 3.3 w/kg FTP, seems way more reasonable :-)

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one year of focus, organized training, but all my bike riding was usually group rides (one two hour ride at 20-21 mph consistent pace, and one 60-90 miler at 19.5-20 mph consistent pace).

I plan on utilizing interval work, more trainer riding to save time, never restricting calories or trying to lose weight, and I like to think I like to suffer.

As for running and swimming simultaneously, I plan on doing them 2-3x a week each, so that could hurt me, but I love running and swimming, so fuck it.

Might as well reach for the 290W and end up at 280 rather than strive for 280 and end up at 270.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really what I was looking for. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should see some very quick gains if that is the frequency/type of training you were doing last year, but one thing I would wave caution to is that just because you have an FTP that says you could race 70.3 at lets say 250w (.85 IF @ 295 FTP) doesn't mean your body will be ready to do so especially if you take a large jump in FTP this winter as you are hoping. I did an early Spring 70.3 last year after raising my FTP quite a bit, but was in no shape to bike to the fullest of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gimme the burgers and fries. TIME TO TRAIN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get TrainerRoad and do the Base/Build/Specialty 70.3 Plans. Did wonders for me last year. The intervals are already there and laid out for you, you just have to push the pedals. Hard. And your FTP will rise.

By the way, if your description of your 20 min test is correct, your FTP should be 256, not 242. You multiply by 95%, not 90%, to get your FTP.

Do I get credit for 14 of those watts?? :)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
I Might as well reach for the 290W and end up at 280 rather than strive for 280 and end up at 270.

THIS. Don't have shitty low goals because people on this board say something is lofty. I say aim for 300 and see where you end up.
Last edited by: jph437: Jan 7, 16 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally understand that, I just know I maintained a lot of my fitness from last year not getting injured and ending the season with a marathon then staying active all winter (~4-6 hours of aerobic and anaerobic work each week).

So my goal is just to improve Wattage enough so that I can match last year's 2:30 70.3 split and pull off a better run. I would think I have set myself up for that gaining a LOT of run experience through the marathon and training to improve my run.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FTP of 242 is correct, I just backed into my test Wattage incorrectly there. I maintained 255W for the 20 minutes. Whoops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300W it is.

If I can achieve that, I feel bad for my riding buddies. I am already one of the stronger riders, and I sure as shit ain't slowing down to meander with them. They'll need to start chasing my wheel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest Build plan on TrainerRoad. It's a four week training plan. It should be good for 3-5% gains every four weeks. Most rides are ~60 minutes but .93-.95 IF. You'll hate life for an hour but be glad you did when you test to begin the next build and see the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So there are a few things that pop out here but simply wanting to raise your 20 min power to 300W is not guaranteed to have the desired effect.

Going sub-5 isn't just a matter of improving your bike split. What were your swim and run splits last year? What is your open half marathon run split? Where does you marathon lay in the calendar in regards to your A race?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim: 33 minutes
Bike: 2:29:30
Run: 2:04:00

Open 13.1 PR: 1:34:45. My marathon was last fall actually though, I don't plan on doing one leading up to any of my races this year--I was just counting that as some significant base that I will carry into this coming year.

Based on my open half marathon (which was last April), I think I should be able to bring that down to a 1:30 - 1:31, and then hopefully pull off a 1:45 - 1:50 HIM run split.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jan 7, 16 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will not be at your best 3 weeks after Triple T unless you bag Sunday's race
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not racing to kill myself at TTT. Racing to enjoy the sport and have some fun with my buddies who are all doing it. Whatever it takes to toe the line in June at 110%.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to derail this thread, but does Zwift have plans for things like this? Or is more about riding courses virtually with others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll find out how hard it is when you get there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to bring FTP from 242 -> 290W in 5 months. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm well aware of the difficulty! I'm just not going to be aiming for a time goal in any way shape or form. Just want to go out, enjoy the camaraderie, suffer with my dudes, and makes some memories that will make my 70.3 three weeks later feel like a fucking walk in the park.
Quote Reply

Prev Next