Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for fixing cosmetic frame damage
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I (more likely: somebody else in the transition zone) broke off the tip of a wing in my down-tube that extends towards the fork on my Transition.
It is not structural, so all I'm looking for is aesthetics and potentially avoiding some sort of moisture ingress into the carbon layer (if that is a thing)

What is the best way to re-seal this?
Is there some specific glue/resin that hardens well? Could I potentially even build up to the original shape with a couple of layers and some sanding back down?

PS: I know, I know: the rubber thingy on the fork is missing which was the cause of all of this. Also: I think the dent on the fork is just cosmetic as well, so not to worried about that,

regards,
Flo

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for fixing cosmetic frame damage [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use a well placed sticker. Preferably one that has nothing to do with triathlon; they are more aerodynamic :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read that nail polish works great for touching up frames. Just fyi, carbon doesn't just dent like metal does. Any perminant deformation means there are damaged fibers or delaminations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of ways to go about it.

The cheapest/easiest is (as mentioned above) heading to the local store and picking up some nail polish of the right color (and some clear to seal it) You could also VERY LIGHTLY sand it smooth before touching up. That's a common thing with transitions.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use either clear nail polish or clear floor finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for nail polish! Seals up the carbon and a variety of colors to match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks guys, will give it a go with nail polish!

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply