Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for finding a coach
Quote | Reply
Looking to start working with a coach and would appreciate any tips on how exactly to go about finding one. Most likely a remote option will be necessary as my budget probably won't allow for direct 1-on-1, but I would like something more than just a static plan. I searched through the 'find a coach' option here on ST for at least regional coaches (there are a ton of dead links, btw), but other than price, how would you narrow it down? I would assume that there would be some initial consultation, so what kinds of questions should I ask? TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for finding a coach [mamil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) If you can, read as much about the coach as you can find. This includes their posts on ST, posts about them elsewhere, social media postings, etc.
2) Ask people you respect (athletes who you follow, perhaps) who their coaches are currently or have been, then ask them about those coaches
3) Contact the coaches that interest you and have a discussion
4) Get athletes that the coach coaches and talk to them (any coach should feel comfortable with this, if they don't it's a bad sign)
5) Narrow down your decisions
6) Choose, race.

I don't think you need to have a set list of questions to ask. When I talked to the two coaches I have worked with they both asked ME a lot of questions and my answers created new conversational tangents and then I thought of questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for finding a coach [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Further, it doesn't really matter where you live. I have been 3 hrs apart (time zone difference) from a coach to 6+ hours apart. It's on the coach to work around the difference to suit your schedule.

There's tons of threads on ST for "recommend me a coach" so I'd probably start there.

A truly GOOD coach will cost you probably 250-300+/month (as in, coaches world class athletes), a really good but less in-demand coach is probably 175-250. Some great "deals" can be had for <$175 but it sort of thins out. It's a hot commodity right now so good coaches are frequently charging a fair amount.
Quote Reply