Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for Italy, climbing the dolomites, catching a stage of the Giro live
Quote | Reply
Have a two-week layover in northern Italy in the back half of may (tough job). Looking for advise on a couple matters - here's the tentative game plan and would love to hear comments from anyone that lives there, or been there.
Planning to rent a car and stay in Brescia - no real good reason other than its got a hotel that allows me to accumulate marriott points that doesn't cost $450 euro a night like Milan or Venice - I am a sucker for hoarding points. It also seems like a decent enough size town to give our flight attendant enough shopping and stuff to do so she doesn't get bored and the strava heat map makes it look like there are some decent biking routes just outside of town, and a lc pool in town. Anyone been there before that can let me know what the city is like? We've also stayed in Treviso (found that a little boring) and Verona which we all enjoyed.
Towards the end I plan on driving up to Bormio for a few days and weather permitting hoping to follow a schedule where I'd ride the stelvio the first day, catch the Giro queen stage from the side of the Mortirolo the next day, and then take a crack at the Mortirolo/Gavia combio out of Bormio on the third day. Anyone care to comment on the logistics of hanging out on the side of the road for a grand tour stage? How long before the riders get there do the roads close? Would I be able to ride my bike up to a suitable spot for watching, or would it be hike a bike up and better to just drive and park somewhere near the bottom and walk up? I really have no clue what's involved for this sort of thing! Anyone from around there know what the snowfall was like this winter? I noticed there is a gran fondo that follows the queen stage route a couple weeks before the stage which leads me to believe the organizers are pretty confident all the passes will be open by mid-may.
Bike advice - not too concerned with the stelvio, but will a somewhat decent rider (4w/kg during race season) be okay on the steeper slopes of the mortirolo etc. with a compact crank and 11-28 cog? - not that I have options there anyways. I've done some longer climbs before (Haleakala, Lemmon, Mt Tam) but they are all pretty gentle gradients by comparison.
Would appreciate it if anyone has any tips on any of the above.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Italy, climbing the dolomites, catching a stage of the Giro live [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents on following Giro stages is that the roads are closed to cars well before they're closed to bikes. Many riders ride along each stage prior to the riders coming through. Before the lead rider(s), there will be official cars/motorcycles that will tell you to move off the course (maybe 10 minutes or so before) so you should be A-OK to be out there on your bike and find a good spot. If you are riding from Bormio to the top of the Stelvio, you might want to check in which direction this year's Stelvio stage is riding (when I last did it, the riders came down from the Stelvio toward Bormio.) Although it doesn't align with your trip dates, there is also a "Stelvio day" each year when all traffic is closed on the Stelvio for cyclists (August 29th this year):
http://www.stelviopark.bz.it/en/radtag/
For gearing, I've done the Gavia (up-over and back) from Bormio and compact with 28 was fine (did not ride the Mortirolo.)
On the snowfall, my experience was that they schedule the course they intend to ride, but will change/divert if snow in a pass requires it (this happened during a trip where we were following the Giro.)
Some other sugestions: make sure to have a bright blinky LED light for riding through tunnels. Also see if you can ride the Sella Ronda loop while you're there (52km and truly spectacular)
Last edited by: ols: Apr 28, 15 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Italy, climbing the dolomites, catching a stage of the Giro live [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mortirolo is a fucker. I rode up it from Mazzo. I was about 75kg at the time and there were portions early on where I was doing in the 320-340W range just to keep the pedals turning over in my 36x27. It eases up towards the top, but the bottom is unpleasant. The approach that the Giro is taking this year is I believe more difficult as is the approach that the Giro took a few years ago.

We had planned to do the Mortirolo Gavia loop but it started raining, was cold and we were afraid of being on the wrong side of the Gavia from our hotel in Bormio if it started snowing. Didn't want to have to do a Hampsten. The next day we rode the Stelvio and Gavia (both from the Bormio side). Neither of those was particularly difficult compared to the Mortirolo. Other than climbing nearly 10,000' in the first 45 miles...

I don't have any experience watching a grand tour stage from the side of the road, but I would expect you will need to ride up pretty early and spend a really long time hanging out on the side of the road.

If you have the chance go to the Dolomites. Do the Sella Ronde loop and/or the Fedia-Pordoi loop. Drive to Moena or Canazei and ride from there. It's about 2.5 hours from Brescia. Bormio was awesome. The Dolomites were better.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Italy, climbing the dolomites, catching a stage of the Giro live [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you are riding from Bormio to the top of the Stelvio, you might want to check in which direction this year's Stelvio stage is riding

Unfortunately no stelvio in this year's giro! Hopefully they clear the pass of snow anyways as I really want to ride it.

Thanks for the tips- especially for the lights for tunnels. I always ride with a couple rear blinkers - but probably need a headlight for the tunnel on the gavia as I imagine the old road bypass of the tunnel will be snow covered and brutal as from what I understand it is unpaved.

I will also plan to do the sella ronda!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Italy, climbing the dolomites, catching a stage of the Giro live [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Mortirolo is a fucker.

That's what I'm planning on - hopefully at 71kg pushing 34-28 will let me get through the steep pitches without going too much north of 300W. I also plan to ride up from Mazzo as it is considered the official climb - although the new route the paved for the race a few years back that starts a little farther south is apparently just as tough.

Quote:
We had planned to do the Mortirolo Gavia loop but it started raining, was cold and we were afraid of being on the wrong side of the Gavia from our hotel in Bormio if it started snowing. Didn't want to have to do a Hampsten.

Don't blame you, hoping for blue skies and lots of sunshine - at least it's paved now!

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely check out the sella Ronda as well

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A group of us did an Italy trip last summer and did all of these climbs. Spectacular.

The Sella Ronda loop was the most beautiful ride I've ever been on.
Quote Reply