Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timex Ironman Global Trainer
Quote | Reply
Can anyone give some feedback on the Timex Ironman Global Trainer? It's ant+ compatible, and there's a blurb in the literature about working with third party power meters.

Any first hand experience of how it works with and display power data?

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to DCrainmaker.com. He has excellant in-depth reviews of most GPS watches on the market, plus race/travel reports etc. His blog is the only one that read on a regular basis. I am pretty sure that this information is on his site.

here is the link to the Timex Global trainer:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...obal-trainer-in.html

+++Go until you get better+++
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [ejlrn81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.timex.com/...x_Run_Trainer_Rebate

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I no longer use mine. it does work with my Quark pm. And that's about all I like about it.

Very slow to acquire satellites, even when I haven't traveled even a bit. And this is true even with the latest firmware updates.

Doesn't have the ability to show me current lap/split averages while I'm on that particular split, let alone the other fields I'd like to see. And doesn't have the fields I want for biking. It's also a bit temperamental with many ant+ transmitters.

I talked to the Timex folks at the expo here during IM and basically was told that that's the way they were.

Much happier with Garmin 605 for running and 500 for the bike.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have had issues with mine picking up a satellite. I usually to turn it on 30 minutes before I start my run or bike. If you have a lot of trees in your neighborhood then good luck. The only other issue is battery life. If you have GPS and heart rate going at the same time then I'm lucky to get 5 hours of battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TGT after the August firmware update is an entirely different watch than pre-August update. Primarily around satellite lock and searching, as well as the footpod support.

However, for PM support, you're still up a creek because you can't calibrate the PM with the TGT. Edge 500 is the way to go there (or Edge 800 or 310XT/910XT). Joule GPS is a very valid option too, though I don't have it yet to be able to say good/bad.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCRainmaker, thanks.

I'm looking at a new powertap and trying to get a feel for my options. After many years on wired powertaps, I like the simplicity of the little yellow computer. Right now I want the simplest computer I can get.

Maybe you know if the cycleops cervos will work with ant+?

I'd even go for one of the Bontrager nodes if it would store and download data. That's my minimum requirement.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when your supposed to get the Joule GPS? They haven't updated the website to include it yet, so I take that to mean that its still a ways off.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Any idea when your supposed to get the Joule GPS? They haven't updated the website to include it yet, so I take that to mean that its still a ways off.

Haven't heard. I'll ping them now...

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

However, for PM support, you're still up a creek because you can't calibrate the PM with the TGT.

Presumably you mean that you cant see the 0 offset... not that you cant calibrate. At least with the quarq and powertap both will happily zero with you having to see what the zero value is.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [alanhawse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alanhawse wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

However, for PM support, you're still up a creek because you can't calibrate the PM with the TGT.

Presumably you mean that you cant see the 0 offset... not that you cant calibrate. At least with the quarq and powertap both will happily zero with you having to see what the zero value is.

Correct.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I just got an ant powertap and have a TGT. I've paired them... How do I calibrate?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best advice is don't buy it. If you have....sell it. Mine had so many issues I sent it back to Timex. They sent me a new one and it still had the same problems. Primarily it took way too long to capture satellites and on the run the pacing was all over the scale. In a matter of 10 seconds my pace would swing from 7:30 t0 8:30. Others I talk with had similar issues. I eventually sold mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I've a problem with my TGT which is stuck on the performance mode. I can't anymore change the mode. It seems the mode button is no more working but I really don't know if there is any kind of function which blocked it.
I checked that the watch is unlocked and all the other buttons are working.
Is there any way to reset the watch? On the instructions they told about a "version screen" where you may reset the watch, but as far as I understand this screen is on the PCsync mode where I can't access because the mode button doesn't work.

Can anybody help me?
Thanks,
Nicola
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like mine just fine. I don't use the hr monitor and I've never used another gps watch so I guess my opinion is expert on the subject, but its very easy to use. Just open and use, don't even have to read the instructions, which is why I like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [Jesper1964] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesper, I had the same problem today. It turns out my start/split button was stuck. I just pressed it a few times and it came unstuck and then I could use the Mode button again.
Quote Reply
Re: Timex Ironman Global Trainer [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
I no longer use mine. it does work with my Quark pm. And that's about all I like about it.

Very slow to acquire satellites, even when I haven't traveled even a bit. And this is true even with the latest firmware updates.

Doesn't have the ability to show me current lap/split averages while I'm on that particular split, let alone the other fields I'd like to see. And doesn't have the fields I want for biking. It's also a bit temperamental with many ant+ transmitters.

I talked to the Timex folks at the expo here during IM and basically was told that that's the way they were.

Much happier with Garmin 605 for running and 500 for the bike.

It's good for out and back training, because usually the satellite doesn't start for about 25 mins, so u have to measure your way back then double it and guesstimate your pace on the out to get your work out numbers. If you don't do out and back, the algorithm is more complicated.
Quote Reply