Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tim Kerider on cycling
Quote | Reply
Not entirely sure where this came from, other than that it was written by Tim Kerider.

"When I’m balanced on two thin wheels at 30 miles an hour, gauging distance, adjusting course, making hundreds of unconscious calculations every second, that idiot chatterbox in my head is kept too busy to get a word in. I’ve heard people say the same thing about rock-climbing: how it shrinks your universe to the half-inch of rock surface immediately in front of you, this crevice, that toehold. Biking is split-second fast and rock-climbing painstakingly slow, but both practices silence the noise of the mind and render self-consciousness blissfully impossible. You become the anonymous hero of that old story, Man versus the Universe. Your brain’s glad to finally have a real job to do, instead of all that trivial busywork. You are all action, no deliberation. You are forced, under pain of death, to quit all that silly ideation and pay attention. It’s meditation at gunpoint."

Riding surely does this for me, and that's why I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Kerider on cycling [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being that I am a cyclist and a climber I love this. I don't know if climbing really is that meditative though. It is hard to meditate when every other word through a crack is a swear word. I believe that through bike wrecks and lead climbing (especially trad) I have perfected my use of vulgarities.
Quote Reply