Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points!
Quote | Reply
Wow, pulled no punches, but so true....

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#Uq7u1RmOA9GwkQPl.99
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good read, but somehow the transcription got that last part mixed up. What Tim REALLY said was that "we need more CANADIANS to win Kona."
I think he is correct.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one quibble - they were talking about how the field is so much deeper and faster these days, and that got me thinking. we take for granted that it's true, but is it?

if i was a male pro racing to win (or place), would i rather be lining up in the mid-late 90s against de boom, zack, van lierde, hellriegel, welch, reid, leder, etc?

or would i race line up today against frodo, keinle, van lierde 2, mackenzie, etc?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with most of what Tim said, but I think that he overvalues racing in Europe.
Sure, you'll be racing against Frodo/Kienle etc. But is that in itself the best Kona prep?

Potts hit on a good point when he talked about it not being a good cost/benefit analysis. The disruption of somebody flying from California to Germany and back in the space of a week or two will really mess with a person's body clock, and therefore their training rhythm.
I think that the athlete is running the risk of illness and poor quality training.

Better that they race somewhere hot/humid in the US or South America, and maintain their training momentum due to less jet lag and flying time.

That or move to Europe and race those guys all year...
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Also what if you take all that time, travel to Europe, and have a bad day. What would that do mentally?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his points on racing a 70.3 close to an Ironman are right on. Also, he sacrificed all to win and that's the needed mindset. I remember even Welchy gave up drinking for a long time to win. That's quite a sacrifice for an Aussie! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is how to win Kona. Be better than everyone else.

Worked for every winner so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"we need more CANADIANS to win Kona."

I don't know exactly when the next Canadian win is going to come - perhaps in the next few years. Our stock has risen fast for the men in the last year. We may have 3 men finish in the top-10, which would be un-unprecedented as a country.

We have to very consistent and steady women who could go top-10 maybe top-5 if they have great days.

Could be a collective best-year-ever for Canadian Pro men/women at Ironman Hawaii

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
I agree with most of what Tim said, but I think that he overvalues racing in Europe.
Sure, you'll be racing against Frodo/Kienle etc. But is that in itself the best Kona prep?

Potts hit on a good point when he talked about it not being a good cost/benefit analysis. The disruption of somebody flying from California to Germany and back in the space of a week or two will really mess with a person's body clock, and therefore their training rhythm.
I think that the athlete is running the risk of illness and poor quality training.

Better that they race somewhere hot/humid in the US or South America, and maintain their training momentum due to less jet lag and flying time.

That or move to Europe and race those guys all year...

Absolutely agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoyable read. I was impressed by how Potts, Hoffman and Lyles responded to DeBoom's questions. DeBoom was 30 & 31 when we won Kona. Hoffman is 32, Lyles is 37 and Potts is 38. Both Lyles and Potts are parents. If any of those three is capable of putting all their eggs in one basket as DeBoom emphasizes, it is Hoffman. Loved Hoffman's near perfect race in Kona last year, but does he have the talent that DeBoom had to move up one spot?

DeBoom also mixed non-drafting Oly races in with longer stuff during his peak years. American pros are obviously doing much less of that these days. Are there still non-drafting Oly distance races in Europe that some of the top European long course pros do during the summer that don't get any coverage in the U.S.?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 2, 15 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Enjoyable read. I was impressed by how Potts, Hoffman and Lyles responded to DeBoom's questions. DeBoom was 30 & 31 when we won Kona. Hoffman is 32, Lyles is 37 and Potts is 38. Both Lyles and Potts are parents. If any of those three is capable of putting all their eggs in one basket as DeBoom emphasizes, it is Hoffman. Loved Hoffman's near perfect race in Kona last year, but does he have the talent that DeBoom had to move up one spot?

DeBoom also mixed non-drafting Oly races in with longer stuff during his peak years. American pros are obviously doing much less of that these days. Are there still non-drafting Oly distance races in Europe that some of the top European long course pros do during the summer that don't get any coverage in the U.S.?

The only Non drafting oly distance races that I know of here in the UK are mass participation type things. Nothing with the depth of field that a Kona contender would find useful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I think his points on racing a 70.3 close to an Ironman are right on. Also, he sacrificed all to win and that's the needed mindset.

I think some Americans, like Potts, want to have a family and a somewhat balanced/normal life while they are actually competing as a pro. I would want the same, frankly. TD waited until after he was done. TD has a very young child now, but not when he was racing. Two different approaches to life. I can't say one is better than the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed with AP's answer. Very thoughtful.

TD: Why? Why wouldn’t you do that? Last year, you had kind of a breakthrough in Kona, getting fourth by changing your plan a little bit, by not racing as much leading up to Kona. I’m just wondering if putting yourself in a different position, changing some options throughout the season, would help lead you to a different result in Kona?

AP: As an athlete you don’t want to fall into the trap of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. You do want to continue to evolve, and I think my job as a professional athlete is to stay ahead of the curve in terms of my competition, and treat it like a business. I mean, this is something I take very seriously and something I’m passionate about. But I’ve had great seasons where I haven’t performed well in Hawaii. I think going over to Europe—there’s not a cost benefit in that analysis for me, it’s not worth it. A lot of my goals in life are structured around my family, and I like to call my own shots, and I think just because you perform well in Europe once or twice it doesn’t mean that you’re going to perform well in Hawaii. So it’s tough, I certainly don’t have the answers. But I’m willing to look for them. Maybe I would go over, but the benefit would have to be substantial for me to do it. I’ve raced Sebastian a couple of times, Frederik Van Lierde a couple of times, and I think I actually have a winning record against both of them. They just have happened to beat me in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Often times sacrifices have to be made to win it all. Some don't make that choice. Most I know who have won did make the tough choice and give up all but that quest. Dave and Mark's solo training trips, Reid's suffering, Welchy, all the germans, they paid the price and won or gave it their best shot. Some never pay the price and wonder what if?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Often times sacrifices have to be made to win it all. Some don't make that choice. Most I know who have won did make the tough choice and give up all but that quest. Dave and Mark's solo training trips, Reid's suffering, Welchy, all the germans, they paid the price and won or gave it their best shot. Some never pay the price and wonder what if?

I agree totally. But I don't see that as being a "better" choice than, say, just being a elite working professional but still maintaining a life. If you chose to sacrifice family for winning you could be in the same position looking back with regret at having given up precious moments with your family. Again, it just depends on what is most important to each individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Wow, pulled no punches, but so true....

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#Uq7u1RmOA9GwkQPl.99

I don't think he "punched" at all. It was just an honest and frank discussion. No ill will intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he (TD) does seem to take this "my way was better, i don't get what's going on these days" approach here (and in other articles; the one i recall off the top of my head is him railing against tri becoming a yearround sport these days). i mean, i guess someone has to do it, and i appreciate it, the press is generally too whitewashed for my taste, but it's definitely pretty acerbic.
Last edited by: AGTC1: Oct 2, 15 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my point was a that it wasn't the usual BS softball interview that we have gotten accustomed to in the tri media. He asked some pointed and telling questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good interview. TD trying to light the fire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have the people that have won Kona, say last 4 or 5 years sacrificed it "all" to win?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
presumably
my take on what TD is saying is that it has to be more than a job, it has to become an obsession
fueled by fury and second fiddle to nothing else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I agree totally. But I don't see that as being a "better" choice than, say, just being a elite working professional but still maintaining a life. If you chose to sacrifice family for winning you could be in the same position looking back with regret at having given up precious moments with your family. Again, it just depends on what is most important to each individual.

Prob better just to wait on kids until after you retire in your early/mid 40s so you can focus all your energy on your sport. Still plenty of time for kids from age 45 on, at least for guys; girls might need to retire at 35 to have their kids.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think thats pretty much rubbish - most sports with world tours require athletes to rock up having travelled internationally and deliver - look no further than the ITU

ITU, WES, swimming, tennis, golf the last two of which can and will often require events on different continents back to back - travelling internationally is manageable if theirs a will. all they needed to say was we don't want to do it - which he did basically and in the end the european IM's which are frequently national championships are super competitive

of course the other good reason not to go, is if you don't think you could win, it would be a good call not to show up, get your arse handed to you and then have to face the same people in Kona - thats sound decision making - if it ain't a sure bet, don't do it
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you're saying is true, but nonw of the examples you gave involve pushing hard for 8+ hours.
It's much easier to pull something out of the bag when you're racing for a few minutes, or even a couple of hours. All day is a different ball game IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other reason to travel for racing is that you have to travel to Kona.
Get the logistics dialed in, food and everything.

I am sure that DeBoom would include racing in Australia as overseas.

Now the dollar is strong so it is almost affordable to travel :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next