Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tim Carlson could use our help
Quote | Reply
I came across THIS on facebook this morning and reached out to Dan and Jordan to see what's up.

Link: http://www.gofundme.com/fj3bw778

Tim could really use our help.

++++

It reads...

Tim Carlson is iconic in sports photo journalism. This Harvard grad followed the road less traveled, covering sports from the Mint 400 to Ultraman, with many an Ironman in between.

Today Tim's career is threatened from a rapidly degenerating hip. We have the technology to fix his hip - however, a significant insurance gap stands in his way. Help get our compadre back out on the course, to tell the stories of our lives and passions one frame at a time.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Last edited by: Mat Steinmetz: Sep 3, 15 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chiming in, while tim shares his time contributing to slowtwitch along with other journalistic and photographic ventures, in the broad sense he's a part of the slowtwitch family, and a man for whom i have a lot of affection.

we have a number of needs in the greater triathlon community that pop up from time to time. we're happy to highlight those needs here on the forum. this is probably the first time a need has struck this close to home. we'll be making our own slowtwitch contribution directly, rather than via the gofundme effort.

some of you have stood in solidarity with slowtwitch very recently, offering our support, and that gesture was appreciated. this is another example of a place where that gesture would be welcome.

tim's gofundme.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 3, 15 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone set up a link for donations?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Matt the Farmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's linked where I wrote THIS...I'll actually put a live link up there.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Last edited by: Mat Steinmetz: Sep 3, 15 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Matt the Farmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's mat's link above. here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. donated. Not much, but it is a nickel and dime game. There are a lot of people here, if everyone gives a little...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bringing this up. I met Tim at Mt-Tremblant last year. Super nice guy !!
Get well soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to contribute and get this fellow back on his feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not get some gear or signed gear from some of the pros Matt you work with and do a raffle, I know I would buy some tickets for your store bike jersey or a crazy grand prize of a fit done by you??

The guy needs 40K so needs some big motivation to get behind the go fund me

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it occurred to me during my noon swim that there's specificity lacking to this request. i asked timothy about this, and here's what he answered (he's okay with me telling you):

he needs either a new or a resurfaced hip. his hope is for a resurfaced hip. he does have insurance. there is a gap in coverage that will occur in the case of a hip resurfacing, and that gap appears to be in the $12,000 range, hence the gofundme total. this gap occurs because of this kind of procedure coupled with the age of the patient, i.e., once a patient reaches a target age coverage is not extended. (he's 1 year too old.)

it is possible that timothy might find that he is only a candidate for full hip replacement. in this case, the gap between coverage and procedure is much lower. i have asked timothy to expedite finding out whether he is definitely a candidate for resurfacing or whether he will be forced into full replacement. if the latter, the new gap total - lower - will be published here posthaste.

before i write my check i'd like to know what this gap total definitely is, and i thought it appropriate that you be kept as current on this as i am keeping myself. as i find out more i'll make sure that either i, or someone, will post updates to this thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're helping Tim out maybe we should also share some of his photos. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a capital idea!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to help.

I also left a message for Cory and I am relaying it here:

I had a hip surgery in Oct. 2013 (mosaicplasty) and I found these very useful for after the intervention:

A cold machine (Aircast with hip brace in my case) which helped keep the hip cold for after surgery.
Little help needed to refill the ice but combined with pain killers, it made it much better.

Lymphapress machine (medical grade Normatec type - think top notch pressotherapy) greatly helped reduce scar tissue.
My insurance covered it, maybe Tim should enquire so he has it ready even before surgery.
It is a wonderful piece of equipment that might also be rented or just used for physio (PT) after heavy surgeries.
But if insurance covers it, might as well own it.

I have not used a Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) but heard good things about it. It keeps the leg gently moving to avoid heavy legs, possible thrombosis and get sensations back as it is quite stiff afterwards.

Voilà, just passing on the knowledge from first-hand experience.

I wish him well and I hope the community will gather to support (financially or in spirit) someone who has been bringing us so many beautiful images of our wonderful sport.

Stay strong Tim.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim has supported me a lot in the past, so I'm happy to support him here. Let's hope we can make it happen!

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to make it a little more clear; a Hip Resurfacing is a hip replacement, as is a Total Hip Replacement. If this xray pic comes across, it show's the difference between the two:

HR and the left, THR on the right. Not the way it sounds the HR is a much tougher surgery both on the surgeon and the patient. A THR can be done minimally invasive. Two small cuts, saw off the bones and slip it out and slip it in. My friend was out hunting in the woods a week later. HR on the other hand is brutal. A large cut; 7 to 12 inches. Yank the leg out of the socket and flap it up over the patient's back. Now go to work. The HR also has to be in perfect alignment, since it is steel on steel and lubricated with the body's own synovial fluid. A THR has a nylon liner and any miss-alignment can work itself out.

One guy that I swim with, a former 2:30 marathoner, is 70 years old and just had a Hip Resurfacing. He's now back running again. I had bilateral HR's almost four years ago and I can't tell that there was ever anything wrong.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contributed and have posted the link to our club Facebook page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done! What a great contributor to our sport!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done and Challenges sent to DFRU, Sheena and Dwayne .... pony up people!

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. For 12 straight years I witnessed Tim hustling around Kona with his cameras, tape recorder and notebook. What a combination of talent, hard work and love for the sport. It's hard to think of him being down due to a bad hip.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 8, 15 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done! Mat thanks for posting - I wouldn't have known.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about we buy photo's from Tim,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of medical procedures, how's your own leg? Did it turn out to be broken, or were you lucky?

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Carlson could use our help [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know yet. probably not broken. the swelling has gone down everywhere except the focal point, which is on the lateral side just below the knee. can't really push off with the calf. it seems to be at the attachment of the origin of some calf muscle. can't run. can ride the bike seated if the bike is pointed uphill. can't stand on the bike. kind of a one-leg push off the wall. but it's getting slowly better every day, and if it gets better on its own then i won't go to the doctor and call it. good. if it stalls out then i'll go and see what's going on. thanks for asking.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to have the same attitude. As long as it improves on its own I'm not seeing a doc. Drives my wife nuts :-)
Glad to hear you're better.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply