Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in
Quote | Reply
I was in the market for a new fullsuit recently, having used Xterras for a number of years, but unhappy with the durability. Fortuitous timing of Dan's reviews of wetsuits led me to choose a Roka, based on the observation/claim that it enhanced the swimmer's ability to rotate (my paraphrase). Being a MOP swimmer, aspiring for better, and being a right-side-only breather (which creates a real challenge to have a balanced rotation and sufficiently high elbow recovery on the non-breathing side), I hoped that the rotation claims would help deepen that side of the rotation phase.

It did. The suit absolutely helps me rotate better and farther on the non-breathing side. I'm not yet making claims of increased speed; I'm confident that will come, but I haven't started measuring it yet. I'm taking the long view, and focusing in the mechanics first, without trying to beat a clock and validate my purchase.

I got the Elite, not the Pro, based on the review. And they're not cheap. But it definitely helped as described above, and the wrist and ankle cuffs are definitely easier to roll off, as advertised.

YMMV, but I had not seen any follow-ups around here from all of those reviews. Hope this is useful to some.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [TallTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. I just ordered mine yesterday. Front of the MOP swimmer here. 1:05 or so for IM. Decided to try something different this time. Been using my Desoto for 9 years. It finally tore last weekend. I still plan on getting it fixed but that rubber is pretty brittle now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to my OWS next week. I need every second I can get for Milwaukee next week.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a Roka Elite for a race this past weekend and found the suit to be much freer in the shoulders than the Xterra Vector Pro2. I rented a small/tall (I'm 5'10 and mid-150's) and thought the suit was too tight across the chest so when I returned the suit to the shop I tried on a medium for grins and giggles, holy cow what a difference. I'll be renting the medium, along with a Blueseventy Helix next weekend for a final side-by-side test.

One last note, I found the Roka wrist cuffs tough to get off, ankles were fine. I imagine I looked like I was wrestling an octopus trying to get my wrists out.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to what your thoughts will be after comparing the Helix and the Roka.

I'm looking at both suits and have yet to come to a conclusion as to which way I will end up going.

If I find a good deal on one or the other, it might be the deciding factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those 2 suits are very similar, to me, in how they feel, how they fit, how they swim. i don't think you can make a bad choice there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TallTris,

Thanks for the review. Could you provide a more in-depth comparison between the Elite and the Xterra Vector Pro. I actually have the Xterra and am not happy with the quality. It's a good wetsuit compared to many others I have owned and tried over the decades, but my problem with the Xterra is that everytime I wear it, it seems that a new tear happens. Honestly, I don't mind the tears but would like to see if there are better suits out there. Been eyeing the Hoka Elite for a while now and wish I could test it before IM Mont Tremblant. I really don't want to order it and then return it because I'm not that type of consumer.

Anyways, awaiting a more detailed review particularly, on shoulder stress, cuffs, difficulty (or ease) in swimming, removing. Rub spots, sizing, etc. I am 5;9" and weigh 165 lbs so I believe a Medium is in order.

P

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I have read about both has been very positive.

I think the most important thing for me is fit, and being a bit over 6'3" and a hare under 170, I've struggled to find a wetsuit appropriate for my weight that doesn't feel stretched vertically. If it is stretched, I find it places strain on my shoulders, causing fatigue much earlier on that what should result.

It looks like the sizing charts for both wetsuits in the MT are very similar, with Roka giving an extra inch to the height range, which might help.

Everything that I've read too appears to indicate that the Roka is the most flexible in the shoulders and arms, which would be great - could you actually notice a difference between the two in this area Dan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they were both admirably flexible. one thing about the size charts. the younger you are (under 40) if you're trim and athletic in your build, you can use the size chart and if in between maybe size down. the older you are, the more you might need to err on the larger size.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Could you provide a more in-depth comparison between the Elite and the Xterra Vector Pro
I have used the Vector Pro for a couple of seasons, and it's not durable. It split in the armpit on both sides, one side one season, the other side the next season. And I'm a careful suit-handler. No fingernail tears on my suit, thank you.

The Xterra is what I would describe as homogeneous ... IOW , a pretty uniform thickness of neoprene throughout, it seems. Very buoyant overall, fits in a way that allows stretch in the material without feeling tighter.

The Roka is very much multi-paneled, with different thicknesses throughout. And fits in a more graduated, tighter fit. The key for me is how it seems to assist in body position and rotation. Obviously I have no idea yet how durable it is.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
I'm curious as to what your thoughts will be after comparing the Helix and the Roka.

I'm looking at both suits and have yet to come to a conclusion as to which way I will end up going.

If I find a good deal on one or the other, it might be the deciding factor.

I've swam in both. Helix doesn't rotate as freely as the Roka but seems to float you a bit higher in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Roka - 2 weeks in [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any noticeable difference in shoulder flexibility?

Also, are you in the low or high end of the height range on the size charts for your given size in each wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm excited that you like your suit. I'm in a similar situation and just ordered my Roka Pro last week.

I was able to get a 2013 model for a great price through Roka's site. The things you've mentioned are exactly what helped me choose the Roka and what made it stand out for me.

I almost ordered an Elite, but for a little more I was able to get the pro. I'm concerned the pro may be a little more delicate but either will be a nice upgrade from my current suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
Any noticeable difference in shoulder flexibility?

Also, are you in the low or high end of the height range on the size charts for your given size in each wetsuit?

Shoulders/arms feel identical to me. I'm on the high end for my Roka (shameless plug: for sale over in the classifieds) and sort of on the low end for the Helix. In theory the larger suit could account for my perception of buoyancy differences between the two but if you look at the Helix it has a lot more aerodrome.

Take a look at Triathlete magazine's testing of suits. For slower swimmers it appears buoyancy is king. Last year the Vendetta was the king of the hill. This year it's the 3.8 Enduro. There's probably some sort of a continuum going from buoyancy=king to minimal inhibition of form=king as swimmers get better/faster.

We're talking about minor stuff here though... but, hey, cumulative marginal gains, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the Competitor wetsuit review, both this year and last, and thought it was quite interesting.

I'm currently in an Orca now, but I find their sizing isn't ideal for me as there isn't a suit in a height or weight that I really fit into optimally.

I've tried a couple of sizes and find that they either are a bit big and let in water or are stretched too much vertically and strain my shoulders.

Problems of being a taller and lankier than average dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2-1/2, 177, at the moment fairly big butt/thighs, broad lats, small arms. Roka size LARGE fits me very well, once fully "seated." It takes a few minutes to slacken the shoulders (meaning pull material up in the right area to take tension off), but once set, it's very comfortable and easy to move the arms. In the sizing chart, it suggested that I could maybe fit one size down (was on the high end of that size) but very glad I chose a size that I fall in the middle range instead. Perfect fit for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dale3: you might seriously consider a desoto 2 piece if you're really that "out of the norm" in terms of build (don't take it as an insult). I don't have any personal experience with desoto but I hear good things and, IMO, the 2 piece approach makes sense for accommodating a wider range of builds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thought has crossed my mind, but for whatever reason, I like the idea of a traditional one piece wetsuit.

I know there are options that will work, as there are pros with almost identical heights and weights (Trevor Wurtele or Jan Frodeno) that obviously oswim in a traditional wetsuit and don't appear to have problems, so I think I just need to try a few options and figure out what works best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tweet them and ask what size they wear. Maybe you'll get a reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually did that with Jordan Rapp as he is similar in height, although a bit lighter, and wears a Roka.

I think my ideal suit is the Roka Pro, I'm just waiting it out until the fall in hopes of finding a bit of a bargain since a bike crash ended this tri season for me a bit early.
Quote Reply